Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Demon War BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Legend

Does armor go into the negatives from skills like those mentioned shadow?
Old 01-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Elite

I've never heard of a game where armor goes into negatives. It would confuse people, so they just buff your character's damage other ways through skills and stuff. Same thing in the end. But yeah, armor piercing still isn't worth putting squat into.

Armor sucks slightly less now for the player, and a Warrior could gain something from investing into +% armor skills at high levels, if he wants to negate the damage he takes from trash enemies so there's less to worry about. It won't do much vs bosses, but it'll shut up the peanut gallery so to speak.

Last edited by Nobear : 01-07-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Elite

I'm wondering if any sort of armor/resist change could make much difference when there's such a huge variability in damage output from one strike to the next. My current character hits anywhere from 75 damage (rolling low, no crits, etc) to 1800 damage (he frequently rolls both a crushing blow and a critical hit on top of a skill that already boosts his damage output by over 100%).

75-1800 damage.

How does one properly devise an armor system around such a wide range of damage? Make the armor function too well and your character becomes completely reliant upon using his special attacks and scoring crits and crushing blows, but make it too weak and we're back to our old one-shot issue (which the monsters still suffer from).
Old 01-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Elite

What type of character are you playing? My warrior has 100% crush and I'm going for 100% crit on him too. If you want to consistently one-shot things, that's what crush is for.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobear View Post
What type of character are you playing? My warrior has 100% crush and I'm going for 100% crit on him too. If you want to consistently one-shot things, that's what crush is for.
A Defender/Paladin. A lot of defense, a lot of crushing. The critical bonus comes from some nice items, mostly. In any case, it's a huge damage variable that you normally wouldn't see in games like this. One exception is playing a Vengeance-based Paladin in D2, though it's still not so variable as in Din's.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Elite

I haven't tried the melee side that paladin offers, mostly because I find both the attacks and passive bonuses weak compared to those of Warrior and Rogue subclasses. I just know my 89 Warrior's Perfect Strike always crushes for 6.5k and crit-crushes for 13k, with very little variation due to armor. His Whirlwinds are good too, because a big chunk of his +% damage modifiers come from Strength or various passive skills, so the bonus the individual skills give is relatively small. I'm sure your character has a unique set of strengths and things that make it fun, I'm just saying that relying on specials and getting 100% crush (and 100% crit if you can) is the way to make your damage consistent, which is particularly easy with a Warrior.

But I'm getting sidetracked. The current armor system makes a damage range like you're talking about much more pronounced, because since it removes a set amount within a range (instead of a fixed percentage), it will impact small attacks far more than large attacks, and thus big and heavy attacks are currently given an advantage over fast and weak attacks.

With a % based armor system like most games use, the DPS of fast vs slow attacks would be impacted equally based on the enemy's armor. Thus you would get the same DPS with fast or slow (before damage modifiers to individual skills factor in), whereas currently slow gives more DPS.

In short, the change we're talking about would help your case, not hurt it.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:57 AM
Expert

Nothing has been done in 1.014

Shadow, are you planning to change the formula for Armor / Resistance -> Dmg Reduction?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Champion

This will definitely need playtesting but I've come up with a formula which I believe should work well based on several characters.

Armor/(Armor + (-28*(100 - AttackerLevel) + 2775))

A character at level 100 with maxed out armor should have around 75% DR. At high levels a character wearing high quality cloth should be at around 30%. Please let me know how this formula suits your characters.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baki View Post
Nothing has been done in 1.014

Shadow, are you planning to change the formula for Armor / Resistance -> Dmg Reduction?
I am planning on doing something about it, I just have lots to do. I'll make sure some kind of change goes into 1.015.
Patreon
Old 01-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Expert

Good news, thanks!