Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Demon War BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-25-2011, 02:32 AM
Bluddy Bluddy is online now
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,003
Default Vendors with infinite resources?

Does anybody else find it strange that now that vendors have money, they can afford to buy every silly thing you give them without it affecting their balance?
I think they should be allotted a certain amount of money, and then once they run out of money they shouldn't be able to buy anymore (unless you buy from them). This would prevent you from recycling every piece of junk you find which I think is a good thing, and it would also make it more important to get new vendors and find visiting vendors, not to mention making treasure more valuable.

Perhaps there could also be an assumption that they're selling through networks outside town and within town, which would give them a trickling income, but in any case they shouldn't be able to exceed their current budget.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-25-2011, 10:07 AM
ebarstad ebarstad is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
Does anybody else find it strange that now that vendors have money, they can afford to buy every silly thing you give them without it affecting their balance?
I think they should be allotted a certain amount of money, and then once they run out of money they shouldn't be able to buy anymore (unless you buy from them). This would prevent you from recycling every piece of junk you find which I think is a good thing, and it would also make it more important to get new vendors and find visiting vendors, not to mention making treasure more valuable.

Perhaps there could also be an assumption that they're selling through networks outside town and within town, which would give them a trickling income, but in any case they shouldn't be able to exceed their current budget.
I was thinking the same thing -- some kind of dynamic town economy vs infinite resources. At the very least, I was thinking any money I give them for "Identify All" or "Repair All" could be reflected in the amount of money they have.

Related to that, it would be cool if a merchant's happiness was affected by you buying from them. i.e., Their business is doing well, so they're happier. Or, if there's more than one of the same type of merchant, and you use one all the time and not the other, then the other could become jealous and unhappy.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Bluddy Bluddy is online now
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebarstad View Post
Related to that, it would be cool if a merchant's happiness was affected by you buying from them. i.e., Their business is doing well, so they're happier. Or, if there's more than one of the same type of merchant, and you use one all the time and not the other, then the other could become jealous and unhappy.
The only problem I can see with that is that I'd have to run to each one and make him happy by buying, and currently I just dump all my stuff by whoever is closest for convenience.

BTW I love how all the vendors stuck in the dungeons are depressed. Not sure how that works (maybe from seeing monsters), but it's just fun to see... "Oh hi there! What's that? You've got a depression level of -20? Well who would have expected that to happen on the 14th floor of the dungeon of suckitude..."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-26-2011, 12:16 AM
ebarstad ebarstad is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
The only problem I can see with that is that I'd have to run to each one and make him happy by buying, and currently I just dump all my stuff by whoever is closest for convenience.
I'm only thinking about when there are two or more of the same kind of merchant (e.g., Blunt Weaponsmiths). The penalties to happiness wouldn't have to be huge, but it would add a little more drama to this one aspect of the game.

Regardless, I love how Din's Curse is striving to create a living world and a real economy would add to that.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-26-2011, 04:54 PM
pnakotus pnakotus is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 148
Default

You have to be careful with this stuff, since a good idea (dynamic economy) could mess up the game, considering that the town is apparently under siege so its easy to imagine regular market forces don't apply (at least to the in-town vendors, not the wandering or random vendors). Since there are only a few people actually trading and no source for stock, I'm not sure how a proper economy would work.

Having prices scale with (say) level of danger or vendor percieved threat might be good though; if guys are hitting the town prices go up, if the town is relatively secure prices go down.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Max_Powers Max_Powers is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 175
Default

Why not just make it so that the in-town vendors do business with the traveling vendors. That could have been a majority part of how these economies functioned in the first place.

There could also be blockade runners, or other towns that send aid. The town you just saved may be just down the road from the one you are at now.

I am still amazed that I thought the way it was set up was that the more business you do with a particular vendor the more wealth and goodies they would have, thanks to me, their cash cow.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-27-2011, 02:17 AM
Bluddy Bluddy is online now
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnakotus View Post
You have to be careful with this stuff, since a good idea (dynamic economy) could mess up the game, considering that the town is apparently under siege so its easy to imagine regular market forces don't apply (at least to the in-town vendors, not the wandering or random vendors). Since there are only a few people actually trading and no source for stock, I'm not sure how a proper economy would work.

Having prices scale with (say) level of danger or vendor percieved threat might be good though; if guys are hitting the town prices go up, if the town is relatively secure prices go down.
I agree that a proper economy might not work so well. It's a good concept, but one that could take a LONG time to get right and not necessarily worth the effort. That's why I think a simplified version may be best. What I suggest though is that if a vendor only has 90CP, he can only buy 90CP worth of stuff. Once he does, he'll get a slow, steady supply of new cash that 'simulates' him doing trade with people in the town and outside of it. Once he's replenished, you'll be able to sell him more stuff. It just doesn't make sense that he has 2CP to his name and can buy everything you throw at him.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-27-2011, 05:53 AM
pnakotus pnakotus is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 148
Default

that just means offloading vendor trash becomes a slow and tiresome effort, which might not be good (unless the values are changed so there's less emphasis on picking everything decent up and selling)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-27-2011, 06:02 AM
Bluddy Bluddy is online now
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,003
Default

I think we want to try slow down selling trash, no? It's an unrealistic carry over from Diablo that doesn't need to be there, and it decreases the importance of finding real money in the dungeons. But you're absolutely right that this could cause people to dump stuff around the vendors to wait until they have money to buy it, which would be annoying and even more unrealistic.

Hmm... Maybe we can't get away from the fact that vendors need to be more picky. If they have limited money, they should want to spend it wisely, no? In real life you can't sell anything you want to a vendor. They'll want stuff that's as good as or better than the stuff they have and better than what you sold them last. And maybe we should enforce the rule that you can't sell anything to any vendor.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-27-2011, 07:20 PM
amandachen amandachen is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Default

Some great ideas. But it doesn't sound like fun.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2019 Soldak Entertainment, Inc.