Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > Din's Legacy
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2019, 10:13 AM
Legend

Adding to my previous post, let me quote from discord to explain more of my reasoning:

The thing is, the main hook of this game relative to the previous games is the rogue-lite aspect.
The hardcore thing didn't happen.
But now, the main thing is dealing with randomness, and getting negative traits and having to deal with them, similar to a character out of Crusader Kings who develops negative traits. The game hands you cards and you try to make the best of them. This has never been done in an ARPG AFAIK, whereas a fine-grained build of a character has been done by many ARPGs.
If you neutralize these aspects by giving back a ton of player control by default, you're getting a bland design that doesn't really innovate over previous games.
It's fine to have those things as options, similar to the way hardcore rogue-lite games (FTL etc) have easier modes. But the default design should strive for the thing it's pushing towards IMO.
So my preference would be to see the rogue-lite stuff be the default, and the ability to control your character be the extra options. This includes not allowing you to mutate to whatever you want with a ton of mutation points, and also not easily undoing any negative traits you may get (they should at least require investing a lot of skill points).

As an aside, I also don't really understand why major mutations give you back skill points you used to undo negative mutations. Is it a get out of jail free card, or something else?

Last edited by Bluddy : 04-25-2019 at 10:42 AM.