Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > Din's Legacy
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
Shadow, when placing two different adjacent textures, how does the engine decide which one will blend into the other ie. which one will have the alpha mask applied to it, revealing the other one beneath?
If I remember correctly, the base texture will be whatever is actually in that location, then it will blend in all neighbor textures.
Patreon
Old 05-09-2019, 11:37 AM
Legend

Right, and if you have two different textures next to each other, you can't have them both blend into each other, right? One should stay whole, and the adjacent one should blend, if I'm thinking through this correctly. Is there a flag in the editor about which one should blend and which one should not, or is there a scheme to determine it? Or am I thinking about it wrong?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:52 PM
Elite

Quote:
* As mentioned elsewhere, I think the shadow map needs to be optimized heavily. A 15fps drop on high end cards is too much, especially when the game can sometimes drop by around 20fps by itself. This can be done with the current ARB programs, but it's obviously simpler in glsl.

* Shadows on small plants/grass should be removed (i.e. noshadow 1). It doesn't look natural because a) shadows at that level shouldn't really be visible. b) shadows at that level are diffuse c) we're simulating a lot more small grass than is really modeled using textures and bumpmapping, and putting in those little shadows takes away the illusion.

* I recommend looking at some video of Titan Quest for ideas. This is the game that preceded Grim Dawn, and it's quite beautiful for its age.

* Notice that ground textures are more patchy and larger than those of DL. I wonder if the tile system is a limiting factor in DL, as is the coarse texture mixing. You look at the ground a LOT in these games.

* Also, Titan Quest uses a LOT of plants -- grass, wheat etc.

* The plants rock, moving back and forth, when a creature animates nearby.

* Bows shoot actual arrows, together with a white motion trail indicating the attack. It doesn't make sense to use glowing projectiles for non-magical arrows.
I just want to second this suggestion about the optimizing the shadow mapping. I have a GTX 970 and it doesn't handle the shadow map all that well. The frame rate is much better on simple shadows, which really shouldn't be the case on a 970. As it stands, I'm not sure how many people playing this game could really run shadow map in its current state at a stable and decent FPS.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I looked carefully, comparing DOP to Zombasite. As old as DOP is, it looks more 'professional' in the outside areas and forests. This is because the grassy areas don't rely on textures, which look generally weak. Instead, there's a ton of grass deposited on those areas, making them look good.
You actually can get more ground cover in Zombasite & Din's Legacy. Go to the console and change the user var r_detailModels to 1.0 (default is 0.5/that's also the max in options screen).
Patreon
Old 05-14-2019, 08:19 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
You actually can get more ground cover in Zombasite & Din's Legacy. Go to the console and change the user var r_detailModels to 1.0 (default is 0.5/that's also the max in options screen).
Oh cool! Playing around with it quickly, 0.7-0.8 looks really nice, while 1.0 might be overkill.

I've changed my mind somewhat since making that comment. Different games do things differently, depending on what artistic abstraction they're using. Interestingly, the grassland ground texture in DOP was kinda odd, but you could never see it because of the foliage, whereas the texture in the town had this flowing quality to it and could probably represent an abstraction of grass a little better. I tried it in DL though and it doesn't look good -- the pattern stands out too much.

As for genre differences, for an FPS, high grass looks much better than a texture. But for an ARPG that's viewed from high up, a good looking texture can be better, and one problem that occurs for example in DOP is that too much vegetation can obscure items on the ground and make them hard to notice.

So my ideal for DL at this point is good looking ground textures + a little more vegetation.