Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > Din's Legacy
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2019, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Default Upcoming changes in version 0.834

I'm going try posting upcoming changes again.
  • hooked up 17 female cloth skins
  • decreased max stack of dropping health/mana potions by 1
  • shields now have a strength requirement instead of a level requirement
  • decreased cast time magic modifier reductions by 20%
  • now attribute requirements on items have an inflation value of 0.02 - basically a steeper requirement curve at higher levels
  • now monster armor, defense, attack, health, damage, and resistance has an inflation component to increase the difficulty at higher levels
  • now Holy Symbol, Frost Nova, Earthquake, and Shock Wave skills have a reuse time of 2 seconds
  • town vendors now have less magic chance (wandering vendors are better)
Patreon
Old 04-30-2019, 06:03 PM
Expert

Would you please have town folk that are below health use the health stone in town? After a town is attacked, some of the town folk lose health.

Also, how do I change the player skin?

And, thank you for the ghost spell. Would you please have the ghost sling a spell or three?

Thank you.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:56 PM
Elite

Dang yo, gutted earthquake, haha. But, 2 second cast time on the other abilities is REALLY NEAT! It may be viable to cycle them up now. Interesting! Can't wait to fight the stronger monsters! The game should be much more challenging based off these notes already.

I wonder if you would consider making it so that new characters can't access area difficulties (like legendary at level 1) that they normally wouldn't access to at level 1? This would make it so that hardcore characters can literally never abuse going to higher difficulties to buy items, while non-hardcore could still mule items with shared stash? I think it would be a nice balance change and would really add a lot of integrity (yeap, me and my ego) to future hardcore clears, assuming that you aren't going to add a level requirement to mail/plate/shield/weapon items.

Last edited by Destro* : 04-30-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:33 PM
Legend

Almost all of these changes look great.

Quote:
now monster armor, defense, attack, health, damage, and resistance has an inflation component to increase the difficulty at higher levels
I'm not sure this is necessary -- you already have the difficulty multipliers every new difficulty level.

Also, I think having resistances be monster-specific rather than uniformly going up is more interesting. Taking off X percent of all your fire attacks isn't so interesting, but having Nagas still vulnerable to fire while say, shielded Elves have some small resistance, is more interesting: the more I have to vary my attacks to match an enemy, the more I have to think.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:30 PM
Elite

I made a quick video response to you Bluddy based on your response. The balance tweaks are definitely needed. Here is my proof: https://youtu.be/AB2iz74Y64A
Old 04-30-2019, 10:20 PM
Legend

What allows you to move so fast? It's nuts!

There's obviously a whole bunch of stuff in this game from mutations I'm just not familiar with.

As a first measure, it would be nice to limit player power somewhat. Second, the linear multiplier for highest difficulty levels can be increased -- I don't think there's a reason to use an exponential factor.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:34 PM
Legend

But honestly the problem here is more one of locomotion than hp. You're just too fast for anything to touch you. Hp-wise, I'm glad to see it's not a glass cannon situation.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:23 AM
Elite

@Bluddy,

I'm so fast because of the level 31 sprint of course, haha! The mutation rollover bug gives me 20 free levels in Sprint. And, I can theoretically level it to 100 if I just keep playing nonstop. But, since I have a legacy character with level 7 teleport, that has no cooldowns, I'm not really too worried about this one. (and, it's a singleplayer game where can just edit a few config files to become op op).

Anyway, I still disagree with you, because I'm like 99% sure that melee will still be bonkers next version, even if spells are nerfed across the board to a reasonable level (which they may or may not be). This is because melee is stupid overpowered in terms of battle power mid to late game, and the clear speed is still not bad either. You can reach millions of damage with melee, with actual permanent leech from Berserker, while using Savage Strike for free teleports to enemies. Honestly, melee damage makes my 69k crits on Earthquake look like childs play. Even if I move super slow, I'd still have no threat since I can just insta-kill everything in sight.

Really, player power is off the charts overall.

But, I'm glad the see the initiative by Shadow... and I wish him luck, hahahaha.

Last edited by Destro* : 05-01-2019 at 03:06 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:22 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destro* View Post
@Bluddy,

I'm so fast because of the level 31 sprint of course, haha! The mutation rollover bug gives me 20 free levels in Sprint. And, I can theoretically level it to 100 if I just keep playing nonstop. But, since I have a legacy character with level 7 teleport, that has no cooldowns, I'm not really too worried about this one. (and, it's a singleplayer game where can just edit a few config files to become op op).

Anyway, I still disagree with you, because I'm like 99% sure that melee will still be bonkers next version, even if spells are nerfed across the board to a reasonable level (which they may or may not be). This is because melee is stupid overpowered in terms of battle power mid to late game, and the clear speed is still not bad either. You can reach millions of damage with melee, with actual permanent leech from Berserker, while using Savage Strike for free teleports to enemies. Honestly, melee damage makes my 69k crits on Earthquake look like childs play. Even if I move super slow, I'd still have no threat since I can just insta-kill everything in sight.

Really, player power is off the charts overall.

But, I'm glad the see the initiative by Shadow... and I wish him luck, hahahaha.
OK so teleport definitely needs a cooldown The problem with teleport is, what do you give the player when he invests more in the skill? In teleport's case, that's a reduced cooldown. After only 6 invesments, you have no cooldown. But 6 investments is nothing when you have 1000 points and can basically add it to *any build*. Oh man, we're really getting all skills competing with all other skills here. I think teleport needs to require a lot more investment relative to player skill points.

Really, the system is out of control: you can have 2 skill points in a skill, or 30+, and somehow they're supposed to both be playable. And then we have the magic skills that require a constant investment of levels to keep competitive... and that's where the problem lies. One kind of skill gets impossibly strong after 30 levels, and the other one you're *expected* to invest 20-30 levels in to stay competitive.

I'm guessing Shadow doesn't want to reduce the number of total skill points given. In that case, you could make it so that percentage and time-based skills go up by >1 point per level. Teleport, as an extreme example, could go up by 10 skill points each level or more, making reaching its final stage really difficult. It should probably also require a *lot* more mana per level. Linear skills like spells, which need to constantly be invested in, on the other hand, could go up at 1/level or even less, 1 every couple of levels.

Another thing I think I remember is that the +% damage and +% crit from STR goes up way too fast. You end up saturating at 100% crit fairly easily. The same applies to the thief's boosts (deep wounds). I remember reducing those significantly in the mod.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:19 PM
Elite

Just a small note: Teleport currently has a cooldown at max rank of 10 seconds. The character I mentioned is a legacy character from before the fix for when mutations could increase skills beyond max level.