Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2010, 12:31 PM
Legend

Master morality said-Also, on Deathknights 'extremely vulnerable' mode: I don't think that'd be very good - if only because I think restricting the builds you can play on these things kinda defeats a large aspect of Dins Curse, which is just coming up with weird, unusual and interesting builds to test out.

Yeah it could work, but it also could be more literal pain than we know. Maybe even more masochistic than cursed hardcore. The drastic timer one i still say should stick. That would make the game even more fun and tough at the same time.

As for the hardcore ghost mode, make it so they are always in the game just on a different level along with the other ghosts. We dont want 10 lvl 6 chars all on one level ready to anihilate everything in their path. Hell, get enough of them, they might kill everything on the level

And if you dont like ghosts, make it so they are translucent (like a wraith). Partly here and partly not. That way they are neither dead or alive. Might even want to add a little damage resistance to justify their ethereal form, but thats just a thought.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:32 PM
Expert

Yeah, you'd probably want to make the possibility of Ghost spawning kept at one per town or something, then the engine can just randomly select from a pool of various dead characters at the appropriate level, if applicable.

I only really put the 'non-ethereal' thing out there to see if anyone else felt the same - cutting into meat is much better than cutting into spectral form. I put ghouls/ghasts down as they are, according to some lore, the aftershock of of a previous person so to speak. The problem with my request is that they are more the byproduct of cannibalism than the misplaced anger of a ghost.

Maybe we could extend the idea of this ghost thing to a variety of different templates - death on hardcore by certain monsters could render a subtly different outcome of the 'ghost' character. This would also pick up the idea of placing modifiers on different templates, as mentioned: the damage resistance (or possibly a 'difficulty to hit' modifier for a ghost), would be a good example of this.

Also - one major point here, I think, would be that the template dead characters should probably use the skill pool of their 'living' selves. I'm not entirely sure how easy that is to code, however. From what I can see now, the human template characters, like the renegades of Din that you occasionally have to kill, seem to be restricted to the basic attack rather than having some skills they can use.

Granted, I would assume that implementing a system like this would be pretty tricky to code, so it all depends on how feasible this proposal is. Personally I can't even code a basic javascript movement system, let alone the complexity of this game, in whatever language it's using, so I do have some very vague idea, of the potential complexity.

Last edited by MasterMorality : 07-31-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:11 PM
Legend

Master Morality said-Also - one major point here, I think, would be that the template dead characters should probably use the skill pool of their 'living' selves. I'm not entirely sure how easy that is to code, however. From what I can see now, the human template characters, like the renegades of Din that you occasionally have to kill, seem to be restricted to the basic attack rather than having some skills they can use.

When you said they should use the same skill point, this is exactly what i think should be done. I honestly would play hardcore mode just so i could see if my previous char can kick my ass or otherwise. Plus, this is a very ingenious idea (my hat goes off to whoever mentioned it), it should be in the game.

Master Morality said-Granted, I would assume that implementing a system like this would be pretty tricky to code, so it all depends on how feasible this proposal is. Personally I can't even code a basic javascript movement system, let alone the complexity of this game, in whatever language it's using, so I do have some very vague idea, of the potential complexity.

You may not be so wrong on this part. Although it does seem like it would be a little bit of coding to do right, shadow did seem to be interested unless i am just going nuts.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Amateur

Another way to do the ghost thing would be as a replacement to the XP debt when you die. When you are defeated, a ghost of your level is spawned where you're slain. It will attack you, but not monsters, on sight. Maybe it could even come to town after a while to get vengeance for letting yourself die, or randomly appear next to you at inopportune times. When you kill it, it doesn't come back, and you don't get XP (or you clear the normal XP debt by killing it).
Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Legend

Thats true too.

Here's a few more modes-

Halflife-You play this mode regular but with a twist. The first life you can use to fight on and if you die you dont lose or anything. The catch is the 2nd life is your halflife and thus you are weaker in stats once you lose that one essence in you. Thus you want to try and not die in the first place since it will make playing the game much tougher.

Fair skin-You have an unusual weakness to fire, thus you are heavily more damaged by fire attacks. This can be extremely deadly in explosions and thus you need to be very careful.

Weak Constitution-You are weaker than most in endurance. Thus you get half the benefit of armor from armor. So if you get 10 armor from something normally, you would get 5. This makes you constantly have to have the best armor you can get.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Elite

A lot of these game mode ideas sound more like character backgrounds or traits, now that I read through them again. They strike me as being less like "modes" per se and more like character modifiers.. it could be cool to develop these further to have a positive effect to balance out the negative and then allow a character to take a set number of these traits separately from the game mode options. Sort of like the original Fallout games, actually. They had a small list of traits with a positive effect coupled with a negative one and allowed you to take up to two, or none at all.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Legend

Good point flood spectre. I think that some of the modes need to have that, though I dont think all should. Just certain ones. Like in fairskin-you could have a weakness of -30 fire resistance but a bonus of +15 cold resistance since you are more coldblooded and pale.

And if you wanted to go along that avenue you could even do something like for all of the resistances since certain people hate certain ones more. Like this-

Viper blood-You are abnormally resistant to poison, +15 resistance. But because of your snake-like heritage you dont gain as much health from potions and food instead having them give you half the amount.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Champion

I quite like this daggerfall/fallout trait idea instead of just "make it harder" options, it opens a few more character design doors while keeping multiplayer playerbase "together" instead of dividing it into many little categories.

Balancing and making them intelligent is another story but I think with a bit of fore thought could enhance characters further.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Legend

Picky Eater-You dont gain health and mana from food and drink. Instead you only get health and mana from potions which are more expensive.

World modifier-

-Treasure Camp-This world will have more chests, there will be more monsters guarding them though.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
-Treasure Camp-This world will have more chests, there will be more monsters guarding them though.
There are treasure related world modifiers, but they don't announce themselves.
Patreon