Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Champion

Default Min health per level?

Anyone have an idea of the minimum health a character should have at each, lets say, 10 levels of town?

Not all characters gain health through an even expense of ability points on vitality. I would be curious to hear people's thoughts what they think is the minimal necessary to not get one shotted by the average unique, named monster with at least one damage upgrade.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Legend

I know the demonologist subclass gives you a much lower chance to have criticals and crushing blow hit you. It also gives a minor bonus to your armor overall. Maybe that will help with getting oneshotted. Alot of people have been saying that once you get to 40 and up, the best offense is to hit hard and not get hit in the first place. And anything past 70 is even more tense. The only way you can stand your ground from monsters of that magnitude's criticals is if you are wearing plate armor with a really high armor score or using the gladiators focus: armor skill. Warriors and demon hunters luck out on that aspect.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
The only way you can stand your ground from monsters of that magnitude's criticals is if you are wearing plate armor with a really high armor score or using the gladiators focus: armor skill. Warriors and demon hunters luck out on that aspect.
That's what it seems to me, too. I love the idea of playing something like a "hippy" hybrid -- priest/druid or a priest/thief -- but I just can't figure out how one of those will survive beyond the dirty thirties without some sort of luck and prayer.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Legend

Default Choosing the right mix for your hybrids

Its very important to choose the right mix for your hybrid. For example if you are mixing a weaponmaster, then adding something you dont usually have would be a good choice for that class. Lets say we mixed an icemage with the weaponmaster class. That would give you weaponmasteries and attacks + icespells and mastery for defense. To put it simply, almost always add offensive with defensive and vice versa. Very rarely do offensive and offensive or defensive and defensive work.

An group of basic examples of offensive and defensive combos-

weaponmaster/shaman, gladiator/magician, assassin/defender, trickster/weaponmaster, trickster/gladiator, reaver/thief, reaver/firemage, archer/thief, archer/trickster, hunter/thief, hunter/trickster. Those are simple examples of that. Also, any offensive class mixed with shaman is a great choice as it makes them a hardy little tank.

Here's a few examples of where offensive/offensive work-

Assassin/gladiator, assassin/reaver

An example where too much offense leads to a tough go-

assassin/weaponmaster.

Reasoning behind this is while the assassin/gladiator has defense in a shield, and reaver has terrorize which lowers defense of enemies, the assassin/weaponmaster has almost no defense and will get hit left and right. At higher levels it will be very hard. Im not saying it cant be done, but it will be tough. The only thing that can turn that around is sword mastery which gives a small amount of defense. Still a tough go though.

Two examples of defense+ defense that work-

thief/defender, defender/firemage

A note on defense plus defense is that almost any spellcaster can benefit from the defender's defense. Firemage, icemage, sorcerer, magician, demonologist.

An example of where defense/defense fails. Defender/shaman. This is too much. Thats an example of too much defense. As a defender you have no problem deflecting attacks, adding hardiness from shaman is a waste. You need some offense even if it is a little. Ive used the shaman and its a good class but isnt really good for defensive fighters.

Those are basic ideas to get you rolling. I havent listed all because there are too many but you get the idea.

Last edited by DeathKnight1728 : 01-24-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:12 PM
Legend

Default A Note on Leveling

After nobear's tactics on leveling sped things up, i am mentioning this on this page so once the wiki is ready we can copy and paste.

As far as leveling goes, do what you can do. There is no reason why you shouldnt do a few levels above yours. And anything really close to your level gives very little experience. And believe me you want to get to lvl 100 in this lifetime. Unlike in other games, you pick the pace and difficulty. If your character can do 10 level worlds higher than his, why not do it. The game almost forces you to be ambitious when you play. Now i am not saying that you should do games 20-30 levels higher. That can only be done with the right build and skill and sometimes more of the former. Rangers, mages and any character that can kill without staying in combat range can beat the system so to say and dont get hit. This does not mean that warriors cant be doing games 10 levels higher. Just probably not 30 levels until they get high themselves and have a good weapon.