Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2011, 02:14 AM
Expert

I think the word "whore" is a little loaded. There are multitudes of women (and men) who dress provocatively, compared to the arguably puritanical standards you outlined and implied above, who actually are not promiscuous at all, let alone for monetary or any other gain as is implied by the word "whore". Inflammatory, indeed.

I don't know where you live, Mirror, but my reality far, far surpasses the gender "provocative" allusions of this fantasy game's avatars.

I'm a straight guy and live in San Francisco, one of the most liberal and sexually balanced cities on the planet; and I see men in ass-less chaps, topless women on motorcycles, grannies/granddads trying to pack their butts into jeans they probably couldn't have fit in even 30 years ago, and a myriad of other outliers every day that really make make this whole thread seem rather trivial... Considering that Din's Curse is probably one of the least pandering games out there. And, us San Franciscans get along famously, intrigued always by the allure of humanity in all its guises.

I can see you making a case for, "why aren't the women bare-breasted like the male barbarians get to be?", but not, "why do the women wear bras?" Seriously?

Quote:
whore (hr, hr)
n.
1. A prostitute.
2. A person considered sexually promiscuous.
3. A person considered as having compromised principles for personal gain.
intr.v. whored, whoring, whores
1. To associate or have sexual relations with prostitutes or a prostitute.
2. To accept payment in exchange for sexual relations.
3. To compromise one's principles for personal gain.
Bra = whore? Mmmkay.... I wonder if the proliferate codpieces on males bum you out as much.

Last edited by EternalChampion : 03-25-2011 at 02:14 PM. Reason: bums ---> bum
Old 03-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalChampion View Post
I can see you making a case for, "why aren't the women bare-breasted like the male barbarians get to be?", but not, "why do the women wear bras?" Seriously?
The was the part of the OP that left me

I occasionally compete in swimming, triathlons, and beach volleyball. I don't see anyone going around and telling the women that they are "whores" because of wearing a sports bra or two piece swimsuit.

When I was living in Rochester, NY a while back, there was a civil suit by a group of women, who wanted the right to go bare-chested in public parks, because men were allowed to. (There were the usual idiots who based their comments on whether or not they considered the protesters attractive, rather than think about the issue.) The problem I had was with their premise that "breasts are only sexual when (I) say they are", which would be impossible to define legally.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bak View Post
The was the part of the OP that left me

I occasionally compete in swimming, triathlons, and beach volleyball. I don't see anyone going around and telling the women that they are "whores" because of wearing a sports bra or two piece swimsuit.

When I was living in Rochester, NY a while back, there was a civil suit by a group of women, who wanted the right to go bare-chested in public parks, because men were allowed to. (There were the usual idiots who based their comments on whether or not they considered the protesters attractive, rather than think about the issue.) The problem I had was with their premise that "breasts are only sexual when (I) say they are", which would be impossible to define legally.
It's always stricken me as bizarre in the States how someone's internal organs are okay, point-blank shots to the head are okay, but even statues must have their breasts covered. Marble mammaries are considered obscene.

Here's a study in cultural contrast. I live in Brazil, and the first video was played for a week around Carnival on broadcast television, a couple of times an hour, anytime of day. Don't open if you are offended by the human body. Likewise, don't open this link if you are offended by a complete lack of perspective on the part of supposed adults.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Expert

You can go to any gaming site and look at fantasy role playing games. The men all look like body builders, the women all look like amazons and none of them wear a whole lot of clothes. Din's Curse is pretty moderate compared to most games of this genre. Anybody who has been around for even five minutes knows this. So to come here and complain is nothing more than trolling. There are now seven pages of feeding the troll.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Expert

The most amusing thing with debates like this is that, every now and then, a game will go the opposite direction to standard fantasy tropes of 'less is more where female armour is concerned'. Then they will be complained at by many women who don't like it because they don't feel feminine.

If Dins Curse has both revealing and covering outfits then go with it - it appeals to both crowds, modest and immodest.

Whichever way you choose, you can't win.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMorality View Post
The most amusing thing with debates like this is that, every now and then, a game will go the opposite direction to standard fantasy tropes of 'less is more where female armour is concerned'. Then they will be complained at by many women who don't like it because they don't feel feminine.

If Dins Curse has both revealing and covering outfits then go with it - it appeals to both crowds, modest and immodest.

Well if we offer variety and they choose to get offended then I say something's wrong with their viewpoint rather than ours in general : /

That said, are we still talking about this? The person who was actually bothered hasn't posted back in about a week.

It's pretty clear that there are games way worse than ours and that if we were actually doing anything wrong I have yet to hear it clearly.

---

Not to say you can't post if you don't want to
Old 03-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMorality View Post

You know what makes me laugh, I used to play eschalon book 2, and if you play that game right from the start-women get a much worse look than this general topic. The women portraits in that game look like succubuses or demon women from hell, much worse than what dins is doing and dins doesnt have portraits.