Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative bugs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 03:18 AM
Amateur

Default Broken Installed stuff problem

Hi,

I will be quick:
I got hit (crit hit or something) and damage drained my shields and half of my armor plating and destroyed my engine. I repeat: I still had half of my plating left, structure was intact.
On another instance, same thing, I had plating left, my shield got destroyed. (not just broken, in both instances it got damaged beyond repair.

Now, this does not happen often, two examples I have given are memorable bcs they got me killed horribly. As I understand, components should not take dmg if structure is intact and there is plating or shields left, hence, I am reporting this as a bug.

edit: I have almost 900 structure, and the component giving the additional 700ish structure is unbreakable. None of my installed components has durability over 400.

Last edited by Ludak021 : 04-02-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think this changes anything in your situation, but armor plating is supposed to protect your components not structure. Although the more structure you have, the less likely your components will get damaged.
Patreon
Old 04-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Amateur

Quote:
First, your resistances will reduce the damage taken. Then the reduced damage hits the shields. If any damage gets through the shields, it will hit the armor plating.

The danger really lies when any damage gets through all of those layers. Now, all of the remaining damage is going to hit the structure of the ship itself or your installed components. Both are bad news.

The more max structure your ship has compared to the max durability of its installed components, the more this damage goes to the structure of the ship and thus protecting your components.
This is from the game manual. It basically says that no damage should occur to structure, thus, no damage should occur to installed components as long as there are shields or armor plating remaining and structure is intact.

So like I said, components getting damaged while player still has plating (and a plenty of it in my case) is a bug.

edit: also, it sort of implies that I can have only shields to protect my structure and installed components. I don't even need to have plating as long as nothing penetrates the shields and damages structure itself - no damage to installed components should occur.
There is no mention of "armor plating is supposed to protect your components not structure". :S

So pray tell if you can: which one is correct? The manual or "armor plating is supposed to protect your components not structure" ? I am confused. If the later is the truth then, in my opinion, plating is useless, just stack shields since they would protect components AND structure?!

edit1: Ok, not useless since you really have no choice, there are no shields for the red sockets and just having some of them empty makes no sense.
Also, I never had my structure damaged while I had plating or shields remaining. It acts like the manual says, first go the shields, then the plating, then the structure.

Last edited by Ludak021 : 04-02-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Shields and armor plating are suppose to take all of the damage until they are destroyed. So until then your structure and components should be protected.
Patreon
Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Shields and armor plating are suppose to take all of the damage until they are destroyed. So until then your structure and components should be protected.
agreed. According to manual that is exactly how it is supposed to be. And usually is. Maybe active regen items had something to do with it? Like, I am starting to get hammered, I pop regen items, but due to some lag in calculation incoming damage didn't take into account regenerated amount of plating? What I do is: as soon as I get under heavy fire and see that shields are going down, I pop str/armor regen then the bar, being hit and all, goes down/up/down/up until my shield regen is of the cooldown. So I might have been seeing 400/900 plating due to regeneration but at some millisecond it went under into structure (although, regeneration is not that good/fast, it can't regenerate 300-400 plating in under a second, actually lvl 10 (X) I think it regens ~100p per second or so?)
Old 04-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

If things are actively regenerating, it is possible that when you were hit, the damage took your shields and armor plating down to 0 and damage got though. Then later that same frame your shields and/or armor regenerated. It would look to you that you still had some shields or plating, but damage would sneak through anyway.
Patreon
Old 04-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Amateur

yes, I mentioned that in my previous post but I am still skeptical about that theory because, like I said, I have over 900 plating, regenerating half of that in one frame is unlikely.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

I'll look at it.
Patreon