Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Zombasite > Zombasite
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuidjy View Post
But if you were garanteed to get at least one point of armor from every upgrade, you could just upgrade the ten pieces of cloth you got at level 1, and thus get ~10 points per level without any effort. This also assumes that all armors upgrade the same, which makes it boring. I much prefer to see better armors upgrading better, to be faced with the decision whether to upgrade something or not, and to save and plan for upgrading that awesome piece of gear that's just around the corner.
Weapons work like that, they get stronger each level. If its fine for weapons I see no reason why it shouldn't be that way for armor too. I don't see how rebalancing would be needed at all, because there are bonuses to factor in as well. Not to mention something starting out, lets say at 2 or 3 armor, would easily be outclassed by level 10+ armors that often have over 20 points. You'd get to the stronger armors before you'd even be high enough level to keep upgrading that starting piece. However, you'd be able to hold on longer to some old stuff you have with bonuses you like until you find something you're ready to replace it with.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Elite

We seem to be speaking different languages.

Armors work EXACTLY like weapons, RIGHT now. I can easily find a weapon that will get no increase on some levels. It would have to be a crappy one, of course.

If RIGHT NOW, you upgrade a decent armor, you get +2, +3 even +4 per level. If you are upgrading some piece of junk, you get tiny, tiny increments that round down to zero. If you want EVERY piece of armor to receive at least +1 per level, you will have a level 1 cloth belt have more than 30 armor at level 30, which is pretty good for non-magical plate belt. So you have just improved a band of cloth to equal a girdle composed of metal plates - not through magic, not through enchantment, but through mechanical means. How does this make any sense!?

If you want every piece of crap to be improvable to 100 armor, decent armor better have significantly more potential - I expect magical plate to be at least 10, if not 50 times better than a piece of string on which someone glued more string. So you will have plate armor with values in the thousands. All you will have achieved is inflation of armor.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:18 PM
Expert

The problem is that you're looking at it from a mechanical realistic point of view, in a game with monsters, zombies, potions, resurrection, and magic. What you're doing is like trying to cut steak with a spoon.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Elite

I am looking at it from a balance point of view. It makes no sense to be able to upgrade a string of cloth as much as a plate of steel.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:48 PM
Expert

And I don't recall ever saying that, but you keep acting like I did. I don't see why a guaranteed +1 at the least is such a bad thing, if higher tiers cap off at a higher guaranteed points. The higher the rarity and type, the higher the minimum caps. Its not like 1 point of armor would make a big difference, and its a lot better than seeing an endless stream of zeros start popping up. I seriously don't get what's so hard to understand about this, its gameplay appeal 101.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Elite

You only get a stream of zeros if you try to improve something that is not worth improving. And one point of armor, multiplied by one hundred levels, multiplied by 10 (breastplate, belt, helmet, greaves, gloves, boots, pauldrons, cape, shield, bracers) is ONE THOUSAND.

You know what, this post does not contain a single word I have not said earlier. This is pointless. I'm done with this topic.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:13 PM
Expert

Your math seems very off. How on earth would you come to a conclusion of 1000? Are you talking about the total of all ten armor pieces maxed out, something that requires level 100 as is? In Din's I've had armor pieces with like 300 points per piece, and that's not at level 100 gear.

Seriously, if you want low pieces to stop gaining armor points at higher levels, why not just make it so different tiers of equipment have different caps at which you can no longer upgrade them at all rather than upgrade them with streams of zeros? That way someone doesn't have to waste like 50 armor scraps trying to upgrade something that won't gain anything. Sounds like common sense to me.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:58 PM
Legend

So far I have yet to be able to get a character past lvl 10 as a char. I had dins pretty easy but I absolutely cant get good at this game.

The no vendors is horrible and you are set to using weapons that do like 4-12 damage. I can understand if the crafting system gets better but so far I have died like 12-15 times per each of the 2 characters I have played.

I used a gladiator/druid which seemed like good idea with extra zombie res. and decent fighter. I also used a thief variant but that failed too.

There has just GOT to be a better way to add vendors as there are zero good weapons in the game. The characters from dins could destroy just about any of the characters in this game due to having poor items.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:06 PM
Elite

Death knight, what exactly is tripping you?

I have gotten half a dozen hardcore characters to level 25-30, and I have absolutely no problem with offense, even if I only spend one third of my skill points on that (the rest goes to defense, and is still woefully inadequate)

There are monstrous offensive combos, even while sticking to basic classes. If you go hybrid, you can EASILY make melee characters that exceed their hit points in a single attack's weapon damage.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:25 AM
Champion

In my experience so far the melee characters are infinitely harder to succeed with than the ranged.

Combination of unavoidable DoTs eating through your health, an additional resist which is a must-have, high repair costs, very low stamina and some skill builds that don't quite feel right.