Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Zombasite > Zombasite
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2016, 07:25 PM
Amateur

Part 5: Getting Around

Getting from here to there is an inevitable part of the game. The system of gates is basically sound, and some improvements to quest location since Din's are much welcome... but still some things could be easier:

1) Clarity on terrain. Frankly, I often can't tell what's impassable and what's open terrain. The outside "walls" made up of vegetation, rocks etc just aren't sufficiently differentiated from trees and other vegetation. As a result, quite often I move around while staring at the minimap, because the main screen has too much plant jumble.

2) Minimap. It's good, on the whole. Sometimes the color palette isn't quite right, in some terrain areas the background pixels are too differentiated and get in the way of being able to read the map at a very quick glance. Walls need to stand out very clearly from all background terrain. Also, on a modern big screen, there is more than enough room to have a "big" minimap showing an entire area, rather than just a local circle around the player. This would be a big help, because it would remove the need to constantly checking the "M" map to see where the unexplored bits in the current area are.

3) The "M" map. This map is OK, but I find it's blurriness perplexing. Why not present a crisp scalable map rather than the blurry pixels? Also, the various quest indicators - the yellow and green asterisks and arrows and whatnot - well, they're functional once you get used to them, but a more prominent and clear icon would be better.

4) Finally, biggest issue in getting around: the vegetation on the main map. I think what's happened here is that individual plant models, which look fine on their own, are being combined on a map where they look horrible all planted next to each other. Aside from the aesthetics, they actually block the players view of monsters and combat, quite often. I want to be looking at my guy fighting monsters, but all I can see is the canopy of some overgrown palm tree! Literally the canopy of a tree can sometimes obscure the entire screen... It's just painful wandering around outside. Sometime I go into a nice dark dungeon just to give the eyes a rest. I'd really recommend dialling the vegetation way down, for aesthetic and functional reasons. At least make the trees transparent when they are obscuring the player!
Old 03-16-2016, 07:45 PM
Amateur

Oh, and:

5) Spawn rates. A high monster re-spawn rate can really get in the way of getting around. It's a good thing that monsters repopulate previously cleared areas, but a bad thing when that happens so quickly that you find yourself slogging through hordes of beasties just to get back to the gate that you came from not 3 minutes earlier... right now, the re-spawn feels too fast for me. I'd prefer a slower re-spawn in general, but perhaps faster re-spawn in specified circumstances (ie, a "fast re-spawn" modified in some areas, or with certain bosses with a particular "spawner" trait, or a gate in the area, etc.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:18 AM
Amateur

Sourdust is spot on in his last two posts. The minimap and overworld layout is such a chore. I'll use Diablo 3 as the example here: in D3, the levels are generally open. Even ones that are "constricted" still have lots of open room. The overworld is a mess of walls, and it's often hard to tell what is a wall and what is just passable clutter.

And also: respawn rates are ridiculous. If you've cleared out most of an area, it should stay cleared or at least have a lower spawn rate.