Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by torikamal View Post
I apologize for all the posts, but when lots of people are throwing lots of awesome ideas around, it always throws me into overdrive brainstorm mode.

Shadow, from what I've heard, it sounds like this game has the possiblity of multi-player.
I'm not sure you or anyone else can really post too often if you have something relevant to say (which in your case you always have).

The multiplayer will probably work similar to Kivi where someone can start a game and other people can join them whenever they want to.
Patreon
Old 06-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Elite

I think I posted this somewhere but I can't remember anymore. A multi-player mode that could be really fun would be one where one person controls the hero and another controls the bad guys. The bad guys wouldn't get any special augments, but the evil character can switch between enemies by pressing tab (or shift-tab for the furthest <insert better control scheme here> and whenever the enemy he is controlling dies, he gets moved over to the next closest living enemy.

This could really get fun if there are two or more people on each side.

I could see this working in a special mode or even in the regular game portion.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

There is another good thread about dungeon crawl ideas over on Twenty Sided.
Patreon
Old 07-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Elite

One idea I had for getting the player between the base and himself (if straight up warp gems or something aren't used), is that whenever the PC clears an area, some wizards could come down and bring their porta-portal with them, allowing the player access to the surface town. Perhaps as well, once an area is cleared, the player could hire some herbalists to scout for herbs in that area, or hire some folks to round up all the weapons the PC didn't pick up and sell them back to the town--cool little flavor adds.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Amateur

Thumbs up Good Luck, Soldak

I wish you the best of luck with Din, I look forward to the demo (I assume there will be one.) I was very impressed with DoP and I am excited to hear about the class mechanics of Din. It's no small task to offer such great variety and keep the classes relatively well balanced. As long as they are, Din stands to be an amazing game. It's a tough time to be competing in the Dungeon Crawl genre with all these new MMO's and action RPG's (Diablo 3) coming out soon, but Soldak has two great titles under their belt and exceptional value and customer service, delivering affordable games that players want to play. I'll be keeping my eye out for launch day (beta?)
Old 09-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
There is another good thread about dungeon crawl ideas over on Twenty Sided.
There's some pretty interesting posting going on here - I don't agree with everything, but it was quite a good read!

I heartily agree with staying clear of the "dynamic difficulty" mentality. Remember in Oblivion, where the difficulty of encounters was scaled to your character's level? Towards the late game, when all the roadside bandits wore outrageously expensive crystal armour sets? God, if they could afford armour sets like that then WHY ARE THEY ROBBING TRAVELLERS BY THE ROADSIDE!! How stupid. Completely wrecked the game for me, and until Oscuro's mod came out I never really enjoyed that game for that reason. Dinging meant absolutely nothing because you knew that as soon as you gained a level, the giant spiders just up the road in that cave had just instantly become more powerful too.

I'd love to see a good mix of dangerous and not so dangerous areas in the same dungeon complex in Din's Curse. I think you guys already achieved a good outcome in DoP where some areas will become freaky scary if groups of boss monsters are allowed free reign for a long enough period. Crap, I remember that Somber Forest in one game with about 9 or so crazy bloodthirsty bosses running a plethora of poison totems... that kind of stuff is good in a RPG. You want to be scared sometimes. The decision to fight or flee can make for some great gameplay choices, especially if you know that the lure of the loot guarded by that nest of dragons is just around the next corner, but they'll probably tear you limb from limb before you can get to it. Maybe more perceptive or even psychic characters would be able to inherently know which areas of the dungeon were likely to be more dangerous. Dumb characters would have to rely on being able to rely on their speed or agility to escape a dangerous area that they just happened to stumble upon. Specifically, I'm thinking of things like vaults and so called "tension rooms" in Thomas Biskup's roguelike game: ADoM.

Anyways, congratulations on the announcement! I'm looking forward to the release of Din's Curse more so than any other game this year. Can we get some screenshots or teasers soon?

Last edited by Kruztee : 09-23-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenclaw77 View Post
I wish you the best of luck with Din, I look forward to the demo (I assume there will be one.)

It's a tough time to be competing in the Dungeon Crawl genre with all these new MMO's and action RPG's (Diablo 3) coming out soon, but Soldak has two great titles under their belt and exceptional value and customer service, delivering affordable games that players want to play.
There will be a demo.

I'm going to be one of the many that plays Diablo 3, but I don't expect it to come out until 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruztee View Post
I heartily agree with staying clear of the "dynamic difficulty" mentality. Remember in Oblivion, where the difficulty of encounters was scaled to your character's level?

Can we get some screenshots or teasers soon?
There are some dynamic difficulty systems that I like (Left 4 Dead), but auto scaling monsters is definitely not one of them.

There will be screenshots and probably trailers eventually. I'm not sure when that will happen though.
Patreon
Old 09-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Elite

I'd really like some art like what we have for Depths and Kivi. I especially like the Kivi art! The main page for Din's Curse (I almost typed Din's Crawl!) seems empty with art and a logo, but I guess it's too early still for something like that.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Amateur

Are there going to be party members/NPC cohorts like in DOP?
Old 09-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerytykeys View Post
Are there going to be party members/NPC cohorts like in DOP?
In general, no. You can gain party members temporarily, but it would be quest related.
Patreon