Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative bugs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

It's an old ship, not an old sector that seems to give problems?
Patreon
Old 09-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Expert

I believe so. I started with a fresh install on a new machine I built a few weeks ago. My wife and I both rolled Scavengers and played to our mid-30s. When I got the infinite connect screen, we swapped and I tried hosting. She gets the black screen but I can see her ship in game and even examine it.

I found an old folder from last year with some of my old ships (one of each race) before the expansion and tried copying one of them over (Human, level 67). I tried a new sector and experienced the same problem.

If I create an entirely new ship and start an MP game, the problem goes away. If I'm hosting and my wife makes a new one, she can join, so the only way we can keep playing is if one of us 'starts over.' This is less than ideal, of course, since a level 38 Expert level system will chew up a new ship.

I'd be willing to try any other scenarios you can think of. Thanks for the quick response, Steven!

-Des
Old 09-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

I still can't reproduce this. Can someone with this problem email me the 2 characters and the world files that they are having issues with?
Patreon
Old 10-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Expert

Apologies, Steven, but I'm in the middle of troubleshooting a new build and haven't had the time to devote to this issue that I would like.

For the heck of it, I started up a new ship with a friend who had never played before. After finishing a sector or two, the problem cropped-up. Our ships were only between levels five and eight at the time. It occurred to me that the only thing that had changed between games was that I had equipped one or more items from my Shared Stash, which as I leveled I was finally able to use.

When we flipped who was hosting, I expected to get the black-screen-never-enter-sector issue mentioned previously. Interestingly enough, the session worked fine and we played until a Fear win. However, I fully expect that if we swapped who was hosting again, the problem would return.

As I have the ships/worlds/sectors/saves for each of these two scenarios, is it safe to assume that you'd want both for comparison? Also, I haven't e-mailed you files in quite some time--what's the best way to get them to you?

Thanks for looking into this!

-Des
Old 10-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Saves for both scenarios would be helpful. My email address is on our contact page.
Patreon
Old 03-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Amateur

Ok so we did some testing and it would seem there is an issue with the MTU packet file size. I don't fully understand it, except to say one of my mates had his reduced to around 1200 I think. The default via windows is 1472. Basically packets over the network, regardless of network, were being broken up in order to be able to even send them.
At a rough guess, because the MTU size wasn't large enough, any time the game would send character data ( this is a guess and the actual data being sent received is unknown to us) it would cause the game to not let the player into the server because it would seem that the data being sent was too large for the MTU packet size to cope with.

Essentially after all that crap I just said, once my mate fixed the mtu to the normal settings or better, he was suddenly able to connect into games, regardless of old characters or new.

I believe you can set your networks MTU some how but I don't know how to. But according to my mate it was fairly easily done.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:10 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolectomy View Post
Ok so we did some testing and it would seem there is an issue with the MTU packet file size. I don't fully understand it, except to say one of my mates had his reduced to around 1200 I think. The default via windows is 1472. Basically packets over the network, regardless of network, were being broken up in order to be able to even send them.
At a rough guess, because the MTU size wasn't large enough, any time the game would send character data ( this is a guess and the actual data being sent received is unknown to us) it would cause the game to not let the player into the server because it would seem that the data being sent was too large for the MTU packet size to cope with.

Essentially after all that crap I just said, once my mate fixed the mtu to the normal settings or better, he was suddenly able to connect into games, regardless of old characters or new.

I believe you can set your networks MTU some how but I don't know how to. But according to my mate it was fairly easily done.

Hope this helps.
Hi All, just to clarify how we fixed this problem

1. Download and install Wireshark, Start a packet capture on the interface in question for the client and server then attempt a join to the server.

2. Confirm your packets are being fragmented (easily seen in the ws logs) then run a ping command forcing a packet size to determine which interfaces are problem

ping <Router IP> -f -l 1472 (my local ADSL router)
ping <Server IP> -f -l 1472 (Evolve VPN host IP etc.)

Chances are you will get a reply from ping as "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set."

3. Determine the names of your interface devices, Open a command prompt and run "netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces" and take note of the names.

6. Change your MTU to stop the packet fragmenting, Open a command prompt and run "netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1460 store=persistent"

7. Repeat on other problem interfaces such as your VPN client etc.

Steven, can you confirm if this is a bug in the netcode for your engine and how it handles packets? Also it seems specific to ship/save file complexity/size. Does the the initial handshake code between client/server have a ship discriptor that can increase in size to over 1 packet and break as the ship gets more complex as the handshake doesnt handle fragmented packets?