Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Elite

Default More time to react to town invasion?

I recently had a town where an invasion gate dumped a few monsters in the center of town. Lost the alchemist and warmaster within 2 seconds, and the steward was being targeted next. If my character wasn't almost on top of the gate to town, would have lost ("honorable" option).

I understand the need for urgency. I also understand that most of the time, the town invaders tend to mosey about, planting daisies in deserted houses before killing townfolk. I'm just concerned how close this particular situation was to a "no-win" scenario.

I'm going to throw out a few suggestions for ways to insure that there is time to react to a town invasion:
1) Din gives all the townfolk (but not the character) a Holy Shield at the start of the invasion. Those things can be overpowered, decay in 10 seconds, have the usual recharge time, so it wouldn't make the townies invincible.
2) Invader start out surrounded by "dirt" (collapsed rubble), and will need 1 or 2 hits to clear a path out.
3) Invaders come out of an abandoned house. A "stuck" door is temporarily put on the house, which requires some bashing.
4) Townies and invaders are either petrified or "flashed" for a few seconds by Din at the start. This will delay the attack, but not leave the invaders helpless if the character takes shots at them early on.
5) Invaders come in through the town gate, or possibly a breach in the outer wall. This will delay how quickly they can reach the critical providers.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Champion

the dungeon entrance and the teleport gate are right in the middle of town... i'm surprised attacks don't originate from those places EVERY time

if you read the quests, you'll find you generally get a LOT of warning time regarding town attacks ("stop this mob before he attacks", "this mob is planning something, go find out what it is", etc)... you need to make these a priority if you don't want to lose a town
Old 09-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeh View Post
the dungeon entrance and the teleport gate are right in the middle of town... i'm surprised attacks don't originate from those places EVERY time

if you read the quests, you'll find you generally get a LOT of warning time regarding town attacks ("stop this mob before he attacks", "this mob is planning something, go find out what it is", etc)... you need to make these a priority if you don't want to lose a town
I already mentioned that most invasions there is plenty of warning time (especially if a slow moving assassin is busy picking its nose). I'm trying to address the other end of the scale.

This was one of those random additional invasions, "followers of X decide to visit town". Considering the boss was at level 7 and I had not found the stairs to level 4 yet, kind of hard to stop it. More than one newly created town has started with an invasion in progress. Impossible to prevent that.

I don't mind the invasion being in the middle of town, as long as I have a chance to react to it. As I mentioned, my character happened to be a short hop from the gate (instead of farther away looking for stairs). And even then, came this close to losing the town. (The invaders were 2-3 hitting, and happened to go for the alchemist, warmaster, and steward before the cannon-fodder.) This is the first time the situation was ever this bad this quickly, but if it happened once it could happen again.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Champion

To me town attacks need some loving attention. I mean they are an important aspect of the game and all. This would also help to make the game better overall, imho.

Why not simply make it so that Din's magic(or whatever) prevents evil baddies from entering the town directly in any way(i.e. not through cave entrance nor gates). Instead they have to find another way to journey to the town. This would explain why it takes a long time for them to attack in the first place.

Now, what you would do is make it so that all enemy attacks would be directed at the towns main gate. A weaker town would have a flimsy little wooden gate and wouldn't hold up very long, but a stronger town would have stronger gates, etc. Instead of the 'help us build a giant obelisk' (which is kinnda silly) it would be 'help us build stronger gate, or things like sentry towers - that would help you know an attack was coming much sooner - or even guard towers where there would be archers and lightning totems to slow an attack or weaken the attackers.

The attacks shouldn't be a handful of attackers anymore, it should be more like a siege. If any of you remember Diablo II, think of the siege of Mt. Areat(sp) by Baal. And there would be a siege leader. This way a town attack would still have urgency, but would also have suspense. As you wait for them to beat down the gate, you hope that your and the townfolks hard work helps to weaken them enough. Then BOOOOMMMM the gate falls and the siege is on. If you and the town survives, you will get a quest to rebuild anything that was destroyed, etc, etc.

I have more ideas along these lines but don't want to spend all day writing this. If there is interest from the devs I will contribute more. Just trying to help push this great game into the elite category and get more customers here.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Elite

I like the town attack scenario presented by Max a lot. Shadow would have to check out whether it would be feasible. Maybe for the expansion pack Soldak is working on? Anyone else like this idea?
Old 09-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Expert

I just bought the game yesterday and I have a question on Town invasions. There is always someone who right away tells you to kill x monster in one of the lower levels as they are planning something. My question is:

When does the timer start?

Does it start right when the world is created? Or not until I accept the quest?
Old 09-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Champion

Great! I was afraid I was wasting my time with my idea.

Like I said, I have more that goes along with this idea. For example, the siege force would have to be balanced out somehow. I mean you would have just as many complaints about an unstoppable force destroying some puny little town.

But also, to prevent the concept of 'well, I am just going to work on building up the town and make it an impenetrable fortress so that later I can finish the other quests without worry of the town being destroyed'. Too much time spent on building up the town would allow more and more time for the bad guys below to build themselves up as well. Making it so that if you wait too long it may become almost impossible for you to make it down to the lower levels of the cave(at least not without a LOT of effort). Also, I know of a new machine type that would EVENTUALLY become available to the bad guys(again, only if the player takes too long). We have darkness, earthquake, and weather, but how about a drilling or tunneling machine? How cool would that be? Din's magic may prevent the bad guys from coming through known points of egress(cave entrance, gates) but it can't protect against the unknown.....

Just some more ideas...
Old 09-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasisbhrnw View Post
I just bought the game yesterday and I have a question on Town invasions. There is always someone who right away tells you to kill x monster in one of the lower levels as they are planning something. My question is:

When does the timer start?

Does it start right when the world is created? Or not until I accept the quest?
I am not certain, but I have always assumed it was from the time you accept the mission. Sorry, maybe someone will know for certain. I am curious myself.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Amateur

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Powers View Post
Instead of the 'help us build a giant obelisk' (which is kinnda silly) it would be 'help us build stronger gate, or things like sentry towers - that would help you know an attack was coming much sooner - or even guard towers where there would be archers and lightning totems to slow an attack or weaken the attackers.
I'd absolutely love to see this idea implemented in the game, especially the sentry towers. It would make those "Help us build..." quests feel so much more meaningful.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Champion

I like the siege attack / gate idea. It would make the town attack a bit more epic than just the one or two elites/uniques current setup. Having a couple dozen henchies with the unique or elite creature trying to break down the gate sounds like a good time. You would probably still want to keep the existing method of town attack intact for a spy/scout like invasion where the monster is able to sneak past the gates and attack the town.

It would also be nice if some of the adventurers you rescue from the dungeon actually had a higher degree of skill than just normal townsfolk and when they join the town you are really gaining sort of a mercenary who could be a big help in repelling the town attacks.