Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative bugs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 01:34 AM
Amateur

Default sound-related? crash on mac

I have been having fairly frequent crashes in Drox Operative, and they seem to be mostly related to sound issues. The most recent one was very dramatic - it hung with a very loud screeching sound (like a half-second of modem noise) and then after a second or two, crashed. I've attached the crash report. I have gotten these crashes at least once a day when I've been playing.

Macbook pro running 10.6.8
Attached Files
File Type: zip drox-MacBook-Pro.crash.zip (9.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-28-2013, 03:32 AM
Amateur

Just noticed there's a patch; was on 1.009, I've upgraded to 1.012 and hopefully that will fix it.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Amateur

Nope, did it again. Didn't get the loud noise this time, but seems like the same problem I've been having before.

New crash report attached.

thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip Drox.2013-07-01.crash.zip (9.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Are you doing anything specific when it crashes? Is there anything in common? Every time I try to reproduce a sound crash on my Mac I can't reproduce any problems.
Patreon
Old 07-03-2013, 02:35 AM
Amateur

I know how frustrating it is to be unable to replicate bugs... I had not noticed any particular pattern previously, aside from these crashes always happening in combat. It is possible it's performance-related - I have noticed my mac runs really hot when playing Drox, and there are occasional hiccups where the whole game hangs briefly and then continues.

The one pattern I have noticed is that when the text and sound appears announcing that shadow has gone up a tech level (maybe other races too, but it's mostly shadow leveling up), there is a noticeable hiccup. This does not happen regularly with the other text/sounds that I have noticed. But I did not get another crash this evening, so I cannot say if these are related.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

I wonder if you just run too hot? There is a console/user.cfg var called maxFps. If you set that to something lower than your average fps but high enough that it is still playable (like 20 maybe), it might keep your system cooler.
Patreon
Old 08-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Expert

Have you done anything with this recently? I haven't updated past 1.016, but still had the problem there. I'd like to try the Ancients beta, but figure there isn't much point if I'm still getting fairly regular crashes without.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't been able to reproduce anything on my mac since the last fix. I'm going to let the game run for a while in god mode and some stress test modes today and see if I can get any crashes.
Patreon
Old 08-30-2013, 03:24 AM
Expert

If it helps, I spotted this routine name in the crash report for the first time today: CrashIfClientProvidedBogusAudioBufferList. That's running 10.6.8. I'm still getting crashes under 10.5 as well. Don't have anything newer right now.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

I'll check out that name. I did run a ton of stress tests on my Mac recently and didn't manage to get any crashes.
Patreon