Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Legend

Default Might wanna start a FAQ...Anyone Interested

Ive been thinking about this for a while and i think that dins curse would gain a lot of popularity if someone..or some people got together and from their own experiences-wrote a faq about it. DOP was different as there were only 4 classes, not that that matters. I still think that DC deserves a faq on game faqs. Anyone interested in helping. It would be a lot of fun since everyone is good at certain classes and hybrids so everyone can help.

Last edited by DeathKnight1728 : 12-10-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
Ive been thinking about this for a while and i think that dins curse would gain a lot of popularity if someone..or some people got together and from their own experiences-wrote a faq about it. DOP was different as there were only 4 classes, not that that matters. I still think that DC deserves a faq on game faqs. Anyone interested in helping. It would be a lot of fun since everyone is good at certain classes and hybrids so everyone can help.
Is game faqs a website?
It sounds like a good idea. How would it be different from the Beginner's website?
Old 12-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Legend

Gamefaqs.com is a website where people who want to help other people out, post game guides. Sometimes they have faq bounties where games that people really want to find out about urge it so much that 50-100 dollars are given to the people who write the first faq on that game. This can be cutthroat. However, with dins, i think that that this would not be the case.

The beginners faq is good for the game, but i think a faq should be made where it outlines just basically how to survive in the game especially in later difficulties and levels. Im talking how to get good equipment, what to do against certain bosses. I have a few pointers i can give people and a few hybrid recommendations but everyone else here knows much more than i ever will.

A faq like this would be good because everyone has something that they are good at and know well. There's a lot of people that came up with good ideas for hybrids when the game first came out. Cadfan for example-Weaponmaster/firemage, etc. I dont remember everyones names. I am looking to assimilate all the resources there are to make this faq. This will not make me or anyone money, the only benefit it has is that it will generate some bit of popularity for soldak. Gamefaqs has a large pull for making games popular or not so popular. Most people when they see that there is no faq for a game dont bother with it. This is not right since i would never do that, but a lot of people judge like that. I already wrote a review for depths of peril on gamefaqs and another review on dins, but i think that dins would do good with a faq.

Im thinking anyone can write something they think has saved their butt in the game and i will write it down and after i believe enough is there i will check it, post it and see how it comes out. If anyone wants to help i am going to take down everything they want me to write and when it is finished i will send a copy to everyone that chipped in just so they can look it over and are satisfied. I think it will be a good thing to do. If eschalon book 1 is on gamefaqs, than dins curse will get on there!
Old 12-14-2010, 04:48 AM
Elite

Smoke Screen (Rank 1): a must for a rogue or Trickster hybrid on Legendary difficulty. First off, when you see a pack of enemies that you think might kick your butt if one were to detect you, make sure they don't! Go right into the midst of them, drop a Rank 1 Smoke Screen (no reason to invest more points in this skill), and take out one at a time with normal attacks as fast as you can. It's especially good for clearing weaker enemies around an Elite or boss, so you can hit the guy that matters with the big guns. Remember that both Death Blow and Charged Strike have an AoE (Area of Effect) component that will break Smoke Screen. Smoke Screen is also useful when you get overwhelmed mid-fight, say by invisible enemies, or by a boss who just won't die, as long as you have a clear place to safely run out of your own AoE should any be active. Remember that Smoke Screen has a casting time. Stick with it, and you'll start to get a feel for the timing. It'll end up saving you many trips to your Soulstone!

Last edited by Nobear : 12-14-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:00 AM
Legend

Thanks nobear! Thats a must for any rogue and while i dont use it much since i dont play the trickster, it does wonders when you are surrounded especially since rogues and thief type classes cant handle direct melee as well as warriors. I just pasted that under the classes column of the guide. So far so good. If anyone else has any tips to survival in dins thats the chapter of the guide i am working on right now.

I need some info about how mage type classes survive. I dont play mages that much so the only info i have is for anyone that plays the icemage-

Ice Prison-Highest rank you may need to pump it to is 10. This skill is one of the best crazy monster control skills out there. The skill essentially freezes ANY monster in place and allows them to do nothing giving you precious time to heal, run or get ready to fight again. The skill usually at most levels will hold the monster for 5-7 seconds. The good thing about the skill is that no matter how powerful the monster is you can hold them with this skill making a monster that takes up the whole screen useless until they are released. This skill has saved me numerous times and while it isnt the best crowd control skill it still is very useful.

Any info on the skill earthquake or the druid class as a whole would be great. Ive never used earthquake and would like to know if it saves you due to stun or if it is hazardous to you.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
So far so good. If anyone else has any tips to survival in dins thats the chapter of the guide i am working on right now.
Like how insignificant of advise are you looking for? Most of the things that come to mind I would imagine that most people know or could figure out.

Like buying up food and health potions early on makes a huge difference. I am a level 46(?) Trickster/Necro(your suggestion btw and I am loving it!)that is still using health potions and food that was purchased when it was like level 15-20. Money is no longer a concern for this character anymore because of this tactic. And there is still plenty of food and potions in my stash.

Only other things that come to mind are:

Use your environment to your favor. Use exploding barrels and set fire to regular barrels to do damage to the enemy.

Know your enemy. Know what their strengths are and what your weaknesses are. If you're on a level that has a lot of lightning attacks and you are weak at resistances then use a potion to get you through. Overall, potions are your friend.

Also obvious stuff like luring away a few creatures at a time from a mob to make it easier to handle.

Plan on doing some item farming when you are new to the game. I feel that without good items you are soon to be in trouble.

Etc, etc. Any of this any help, or....
Old 12-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Legend

I should have been more clear. The significance is how you manage to make it to lvl 80-? By you giving out what the strengths are of your specific character build will give an idea of how to play the game differently. Everyone plays the game with a different mentality in mind. I started the game with a few character classes and played an assassin/hunter up till 40. What was good about that class were few things. Mostly it was a bad choice. By me making a list of which hybrids you stay away from and which ones go well will aid in survival and save time for others. I know its partial spoilers but hell what is gamefaqs about?
Old 12-15-2010, 03:12 AM
Elite

Ok DeathKnight, I started writing general tips for developing a character, and realized I was getting very detailed, tutorial-like and aimed at beginners. I then started writing something that, while aimed at people familiar with interface basics (ie who know how to find their character's highest armor class, available weapon types etc.) quickly became even more detailed, and was looking to become a general guide on developing a character with endgame in mind, considering item requirements and where to assign stats, etc. I saved both versions in case you want to see them and possibly use them later. The following is a sneak peak, with an intro and discussion of Vitality, since this is most applicable to what you asked for:

Disclaimer: So far I have only played the Warrior and Rogue at high levels, so please let me know if things are different for ranged or pet-using classes, for instance if Vitality is still worth investing about half your points into.

General guidelines:

Don't be lulled into a false sense of security just because you're not dying at low levels. Brace yourself, maggot! Unlike some games where your character's stats, skills and items keep up with the enemies' power as you level, Din's Curse gets MUCH harder no matter how you develop your character. So here's how you can best prepare for the onslaught that is to come:

Stats:

Vitality: Each class is different, but the one guideline that should apply to any class is: plan to eventually put roughly half your points in Vitality, as you WILL need it at level 75+. However, other stats are far more worthwhile to invest in until around level 20, as you should rarely if ever be dying until then.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Legend

Thats excellent nobear, especially the maggots part . I think the only other thing that ties with vitality almost is:

Dexterity-Just like vitality, no character can go without a bit of dexterity. Its almost a lifesaver putting 1 point into it per level. While vitality keeps you from dying in 1 hit, dexterity keeps you from getting hit...all the time. No matter how much of a beast of a warrior or build you are making, you will need some dexterity as getting hit all the time will lead to death.

Since we have 2 major stats down, the other stat is based on your character. If you are a warrior, the 3rd stat is strength as it adds to your overall damage and ability to wear good armor. If a rogue, then intelligence as you will critical more. Mages are the same as the rogue with more emphasis on intelligence. Priests go with spirit and rangers are mixed. While the warrior has to maximize strength, the ranger only needs enough to use the right bows and can even put some points into intelligence for more criticals like the rogue.

The most important lesson to learn about this is its generally not wise to put points into more than 3 attributes per level as it makes you a jack of all trades and master of none. Warriors dont need intelligence as much because they eventually get gear that makes up for the lack of it. Making strength a better alternative. Its easier to understand once you get the hang of it.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Elite

Weapons and armor with str/dex requirements:
Potions are your friend. You only need that amount of str/dex to equip the item, but once it is on, you don't need to have that amount of str/dex to keep using it.

Also keep items with a big stat boosts in the town chest, if you aren't going to use them normally. Especially if you are short in both str & dex, since potions can only help one stat at a time.

(Made this mistake very early on in DoP, investing all my points in str/dex, and getting hammered because of not enough vitality.)