Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Legend

4) Opportunist- I almost forgot about this melee build. Although it is a good build for offensive fighting with the assassin and its 2 conditionals, its a better build with the defender class mixed with some offensive skills. The defender doesnt have the killing ability to destroy many opponents at once, but...with the right stuff-its the best one on one class in the game for a number of reasons. First, block is an extremely good skill that essentially stuns your opponents and gives you a chance to counterattack. And 2nd, riposte's damage at high levels is ridiculous. I made a few defender builds and one of them was pretty good due to that skill. With 20 points into it, it does almost 900% enhanced damage! Thats the highest amount of damage to one creature and the critical chance is amazing too. The one problem it has is that you have to have something that complements it well and something that does well with crowd control or adding an aoe. The other problem is that you have to watch carefully to see when the skill is ready to use. Its more of an experienced character build, but a fun one for sure.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:55 AM
Champion

I think most of the long-cooldown skills are designed for use on elites / uniques / bosses only and considered overpowered for dealing with trash mobs. Yes, we want the player to be (pseudo-)challenged when dealing with trash mobs. Aside from providing filler content and loot, I always thought the point of trash opponents in RPGs was to emphasize the heroic nature of the protagonists. Letting the heroes mow down dozens (hundreds, thousands...) of mooks in melees provides contrast to the challenge of a duel with a fellow master of mayhem.

I certainly prefer character types who can mow the mobs down by the tens of thousands.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Elite

For the FAQ, remind new people that points for stats are final, but skill points can be undone (if the character has enough gold). So if someone wants to buy Plate Armor for the Defender, don't save points. Spend them in skills to make life easier, and at a later point can lower skills to get those points back.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Champion

Update: Post removed.

Leaving this space here just in case people saw my last post.

Not sure why I thought the Axe Mastery critical hit was being applied to my sword usage. I must not have been paying careful enough attention. Testing this morning I realized that the Weaponmaster Axe Mastery skill does only apply to axes.

Last edited by jeremyosborne : 12-23-2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Incorrect information.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Legend

Ive yet to find a dagger dps build that can beat the dps of a twohanded weapon user, but i still have hope.

Since this game is the ultimate in creating munchkinized characters I am also going to have a section where i label the most popular cases. Munchkinizing for some that dont know, is basically making a character build that is so powerful that you've basically beaten the game before it even started. There were a few cases of this that need to be separated from simple hybrid making. Weaponmaster/trickster is probably the biggest one i can see. With stealth maxed, whatever mastery maxed, and whirlwind maxed, you could probably beat din if you had the chance
Old 12-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Elite

Well the thing is there's a huge difference in weapon DPS between daggers and 2Hers, so you'd have to have skills so powerful that they compensated. I've rarely seen a dagger over 160 DPS, yet I commonly see 2Hers over 240, with some over 280 DPS. The highest numbers I've ever seen have come from Death Blow from stealth, with over 16k crits being common. The problem is, the AOE on Death Blow or even Charged Strike is a drop in the bucket compared to Whirlwind. Also, Whirlwind from a dagger will do less damage anyway. I think 2H weapons were meant to be the biggest and baddest since they're also the slowest, so they need AOE since they can't be effective rapidly slicing and dicing all around. On that note, can you imagine the crits of a 2H wielding Weaponmaster/Assassin, since Death Blow not only has a higher multiplier but is 2.2 sec vs a Warrior's standard 1.5 sec, so it will do that much more damage?! Talk about a one shot packs and bosses alike build.

Last edited by Nobear : 12-23-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Elite

2 more must have sections near the beginning:

-What to save and what to vendor (since for instance you'd assume you'd get upgrades to the +crit, +weapon speed etc. items and in most cases you won't)

-Watch out!: What can kill you before you know what hit you (beams, gas leaks, effects of fire vs frost on flammable objects, etc. A lot of these things I didn't notice and were pointed out to me recently by some helpful people among you.)
Old 12-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Legend

That is true for most cases, but the one thing to remember is that most really good high end daggers have a weapon speed enhancement which lowers the speed per attack to .5. This might be able to compensate if the right build is there. Im not sure what it was he said but shadow said for every .1 of a second is 10% enhanced damage which is why lethal blow and deathblow are so powerful. Take a regular dagger with .70 and deathblow gives you a 3 times enhanced damage boost of a normal attack.

The only way (i think) that a dagger based build would even come close to a twohander's ferocity and dps would be if somehow you managed to get your attacks down to .30 attack speed (or lower), had dagger mastery (thief), and was wielding a godly dagger. If you could do those three you might be able to get close. The reason i like discussing this is because ive always been a fan of the reasonable david and goliath type fights and stories and it would be cool if a rogue type character (one time) managed to have higher dps than a warrior. Though my luck tells me it might not happen
Old 12-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Elite

2 must-have items for a dagger wielder or really any melee DPS: Assassin's Belt (level 22) and Degol's Gloves (level 47). The gloves have +22% weapon speed on them.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:22 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobear View Post
2 must-have items for a dagger wielder or really any melee DPS: Assassin's Belt (level 22) and Degol's Gloves (level 47). The gloves have +22% weapon speed on them.
You don't like the Fryse* rings? Each requires character L26, with the White ring offering +13% Weapon Speed plus an occasional Ice Storm to slow the mobs, while the Blue ring has +150% Crit and can be dual-worn for a monstrous 300% Crit bonus. These are also fairly common rings to find at a jeweler once one has the levels to wear them. It's much easier to find a good stat-increasing belt than a good ring, so I'd rather spend that gear slot on stat points.

*How is that pronounced? Freeze, Frizzy, or Fri-zay? Mr. Fri-ZAY is mowing HAY, nyuk nyuk nyuk.

The gear I'd keep at least for awhile, in roughly chronological order of its appearance: Dark Elf Eliminator 2h sword, Scavenger Scourge 1h ax, any -Cast Time gloves or staff, Yuxi gloves, Oblivion gloves, both Fryse rings, Good Luck Charm (preferably Artifact or Legendary grade), Garrip's Charm (preferably Artifact/Legendary), Lich Lamer 2h sword, Tore's gloves, Amorph Slicer 2h ax. Most of these do well above-average damage, considerably enhance a special hit type chance, or help with treasure finding without unduly gimping one's combat abilities.

Quick guide to weapon quality: Good weapons require under 2 attribute points per DPS point. Average weapons require 2-4 attribute points per DPS. Bad weapons require over 4 attribute points per DPS. Add 1 point to each of these thresholds for bows, which inherently require more attribute points and do less damage than other weapons.