Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Zombasite > Zombasite
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2014, 08:18 AM
Expert

I'll be honest: These days when I see 'Zombie survival' I just switch off.

I'm still a bit hesitant, but I'm interested. There are a thousand other ARPGs on the market, but Din's Curse actually still beats most of them flat out. So I'm intrigued to see a Soldak take on this rather heavily saturated genre.

Good luck.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMorality View Post
I'm still a bit hesitant, but I'm interested. There are a thousand other ARPGs on the market, but Din's Curse actually still beats most of them flat out. So I'm intrigued to see a Soldak take on this rather heavily saturated genre.
I think our fans of DC and DoP will be quite happy.
Patreon
Old 05-26-2014, 08:37 PM
Champion

Sounds pretty rad to me!

The moment you got an early copy available, you got my cash. Who am I kidding, though? You always got my cash.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Amateur

Soldak games are always a buy for me. Looking forward to what you guys will cook up this time.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Expert

I have been trying to mention this a few games back but it doesn't seem like it will change. I will mention it anyway. I think that there needs to be a definitive end of each difficulty like in other action/rpgs. In diablo 1 and others, there is 1 thing that stays the same (the end game boss) Everything else is different. It makes much more sense to have that.

When you don't have that its just one random thing after another. It makes me never want to play after level 25 because there is nothing to look forward to challenge wise.

Depths of Peril kind of had this with quests. Dins didn't. Drox operative didn't either. I have played to level 23 in dins and completed normal but after that I have no real reason to keep going. Drox I only played till 15 but it likely if im correct is the same.

Randomize is great. But unless there is at least some derivative story even if small, the game just is unplayable past norm for me. Can the main boss for each difficulty be the same?
Old 06-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Expert

Interesting. I always had the almost exact opposite. For me the random stuff worked really well purely because the narrative that could emerge over the period of the game was something that really drove me forward. The way in which the different aspects of a Soldak game can come together and interact with one another, thereby creating emergent gameplay, has always drawn me in. Little story lines emerge of their own accord. I like that there's no specific narrative.

On a sort of side note, I really disliked Torchlight I's boring monsters - they had their specific abilities, including the bosses, but when you knew what you were getting, you knew what you were getting. There was no moment where I felt like the monster I came across was a different monster from the same thing I'd previously seen.

However, there's undoubtedly ways of, if one wanted to, create storylines - Not dissimilar to how other Soldak games do it. I'm going ot go completely away from any specific game type, so this is incredibly generally but:

There are basically, I think, seven basic story kinds. They all essentially come down to wants and desires. If you gave NPCs their individual wants -and they've got to be at least embodied by physical objects or things - and have them attempt to get their desires in one way or another - physical violence and force, coercion - threatening, bargaining, flattery, etc - or lying, cheating and stealing - you'd end up with a very rough story. Apologies for the run on sentence. These are kind of the broad ways of going about obtaining something.

Eg: Tom wants power. What physical object embodies Tom's desire for power? A Throne. Tom wants to sit on the throne, thereby completing his mental desire, and demonstrating it physically with an action and a result.

How does Tom go about this? Let's say he isn't very strong, doesn't know how to handle himself, but he's charismatic. He gets together with a small group of people who dislike the current king, they all hatch plot together. They find some wealthy backers, or they are the wealthy backers, and they buy an army of mercenaries and those mercenaries usurp the king by killing his armies and carving path or Tom to ascend the throne. Tom didn't have to raise a finger, he just had to talk a lot and then walk up to the castle, shove the king off the throne and sit on it himself. Goal achieved.

A real story is obviously a lot more complex, but for the purposes of demonstration, and for emergent video game narratives, this kind of thing works. The player will fill in the blanks themselves.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:41 AM
Amateur

Sounds interesting as usual, your games are an interesting little niche that I find fascinating and fun. With what you learned in clean UI with Drox I'll probably be all over this. Just bought Din on the steam sale finally having loved the demos ages ago so I'll be following this closely
Old 08-21-2014, 11:16 PM
Elite

So, if this is a zombie game set in the DoP/DC world, that means Orcs can't return as zombies, right? Are they going to be avaliable clan members or maybe making a big resurgence courtesy of being exempt from standard zombie apocalypse rules while everyone else is dealing with bites and such?

Incidentally, that bit with Draaien outfoxing Cigilo by remembering his creation myth was one of my favorite bits of worldbuilding.
more covenants: we smell blood in the water, ATTACK!
game: the guilded coin are raiding (player covenant) the shining blades are raiding (player covenant) the black raiders are raiding (player covenant) (player covenant)'s life stone is threatened (at 75%)
Player: *&%#
Draaien: hey, where did they all go?

Last edited by (name here) : 08-21-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by (name here) View Post
So, if this is a zombie game set in the DoP/DC world, that means Orcs can't return as zombies, right? Are they going to be avaliable clan members or maybe making a big resurgence courtesy of being exempt from standard zombie apocalypse rules while everyone else is dealing with bites and such?

Incidentally, that bit with Draaien outfoxing Cigilo by remembering his creation myth was one of my favorite bits of worldbuilding.
Orcs are indeed immune to the Zombie infection. I'm not sure if any Orcs will be able to join YOUR clan.
Patreon
Old 09-22-2014, 04:04 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Orcs are indeed immune to the Zombie infection. I'm not sure if any Orcs will be able to join YOUR clan.
This game is obviously going to be incredibly interesting. Without a bigger flood of this kind of work the industry will pump out mediocre carbon copy crap till the end of time.