Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Zombasite > Zombasite
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2015, 10:35 PM
Legend

Default Whats the forums take So far on Zombasite?

I am just not sure on whether I like it or not just yet. On one hand it makes it so far to be very difficult, but..it does some things that dins, drox or doperil dont do.

What is the forum's take on Zombasite so far?
Old 10-27-2015, 10:53 PM
Elite

Fun to play, some bugs, the zombie angle is barely relevant and the clan aspect can be better.

I like a challenge, and will probably play it a lot until Fallout 4 comes out. I play hardcore only, so I'm a long way from feeling I've mastered Zombasite.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:53 AM
Champion

I'm having a ton of fun with it. It is scratching that same itch that the previous games have. I have 50+ hours in-game (21 hours non-paused, according to the stats -- and I pause a lot) on a single character and it hasn't lost its lustre at all. It has replayability, randomization done right (and in the right places), the options to tweak your experience and the challenge you expect from a Soldak game, and reasonable mod-ability. They have got the ARPG formula down and it continues to work here.

*Engaging brutal mode, my opinion only*

This is directly Depths of Peril 2 (or 1.5 if we're being extra brutal), with the improvements from Din's Curse and Drox Operative layered in. I agree that the zombie angle, while presenting a new mechanic, is not that strong in differentiating itself from its predecessor. It's interesting and quaint, and provides some cool worldbuilding and such, but doesn't really evolve the game much.

Yes, the graphics are still a weak-ish point, for those that dwell on that sort of thing, compared to bigger name offerings. Yes, there have been updates to them, but we're seeing mostly the same enemies, mostly the same skill trees, mostly the same engine, mostly the same menus and screens. The combat continues to be great, but the management of the other aspects remains an area that could use improvement (or even a full re-imagining).

*Brutal mode off*

For players new to Soldak, or who have only played Drox Operative, I think this should go over pretty well. Hopefully it expands the user base and sells a ton.

I 100% understand the benefits to using (and extending) the existing tech and assets. And it is definitely an exceptional product for what is, at its core, one developer and one artist (no offense to story and sound ) -- it boggles my mind that this level of quality can come out of such a small company, especially with a custom engine. Can you imagine what could be done with just another programmer and another artist (with a focus on UI)? Maybe Kickstart the next one...?

I'm absolutely enjoying myself, and foresee that continuing through release and potentially any expansion. But Soldak's next game needs to be all new, or a MUCH bigger leap forward than Zombasite is over the prior games. Say, Drox Operative evolved -- not just the same assets and engine with some new gameplay mechanics, but really take it to the next level so it only looks tangentially related to Drox Operative, a great-grandchild to that game that is related, but is far removed from it's source.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:59 AM
Amateur

I think it's a good sequel to Depths of Peril, but I can't view the game as its own thing i.e a zombie apocalypse hack n' slash game. The Zombie angle seems pretty irrelevant. I don't feel any difference fighting against monsters or monster zombies. You can also catch the zombie virus yourself, but it doesn't seem to do anything interesting. It just kills you if you can't cure it on time. It just adds another layer of annoyance when playing a melee character whom I consider pretty weak already compared to the ranged options.

Edit: Wish the classes / skill trees got some new bells and whistles as well. In terms of character customization the leap from DoP to Din's was significant, but going from Din's to Zombasite it's nothing.

Last edited by Hobo elf : 10-28-2015 at 05:03 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:37 AM
Champion

I'm loving it. Easily the best ARPG on the market.

The living world and the inspired class designs have really hooked me.

I think it has a few kinks to be worked out in various points of balance (for example, all clans seem to inevitably wipe each other out in about an hour), but the underlying world and engine is absolutely rock-solid and engaging.

I have no complaints about the zombie angle - I've just burnt through a bunch of potions getting rid of curses. I think as I get higher in level, the difference between zombie and non-zombie is going to be far more obvious.

The difference between this and Din's are very obvious to me, and given that this is only 2 people developing it I'm blown away by the amount of content that has been put in.

The UI could use some cleaning up, and the graphics are still not great (though clearly improving, and there is an absolute ton of graphical *content* which all works very well). Neither of these things affected my enjoyment of the game for more than 10 minutes.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:56 PM
Elite

Feels to me like a zombie flavored DoP II. I especially like the dungeon areas - the revised graphics are really nice (love the stained glass windows), crafting, and ability to equip party members. Some minor glitches, but you can tell by all of the comments and ideas coming in that this game will end up great. Has a familiar feel for us Soldak veterans, but still feels new.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:19 PM
Amateur

I think it needs a more indepth clan management. The zombie aspect needs a lot more added to it as well. As someone else stated, there is no difference between the monsters and zombies. Nor does being infected or fighting/killing them make any difference to the gameplay.
It really is DoP 2. But I love DoP and am having fun playing this. Just expected more of a zombie/group survival theme from what I had read about it.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:44 AM
Expert

Enjoying the game.

Of all the Soldak games though, I personally preferred Dins Curse - probably because it felt "tighter", and the bosses actions were more direct and impactful.

This game is good, and most of the improvements are great.

I like the foraging/hunting activity - i just think :
1) 1 hour may be a bit too long between activities - but i'll see how it balances out over multiple games.
2) should be able to do both at the same time and not exclusive. Run on two different timers.

Clans also are a bit hit and miss. One game i got two clans immediately attacking me which was ok. However most of my others games, clan politics runs the same for me - meet clan, bribe clan... sometimes right up to alliance in no time as your relation is improving with all the quests you do for them.
Never really need to trade with them - i usually just dump junk on them for money sometimes... So unless they do attack me - the whole clan politics doesn't seem to make much impact in game - just use them as quest givers.

Still - a fun game and I am looking forward to whatever else is updated / added in the future.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:08 PM
Expert

I'm loving it so far. I mean sure it has its kinks and occasional annoyances (like party members not being smart enough to get out of each others ways when using the healthstone), but I've found myself playing it much more than Din's Curse. However, I do have some minor complaints..

The zombie theme feels just tacked on. Its an interesting concept but it feels unrealized. Rather than feeling like a serious threat, it just feels like an occasional annoyance.

Being infected, while an interesting element, gets annoying. Rather than feeling like a real threat, I find myself going "Great, I'm infected.. Time to potion spam. Yay."

Armor only upgrades durability and not actual armor or defense. I'm not sure why its this way and I suspect it would be easy to mod in, but it really should be there normally.

With that said, I feel like it would be interesting if you could add members of allied clans to your party to fight together. And then if the alliance falls through, maybe there could be a loyalty system where they could choose to leave their clan and join yours. I think being able to fight directly alongside stalkers or screes could be pretty neat.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:49 PM
Elite

Armors do upgrade armor value, it's just rare.