Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > Din's Legacy
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2019, 11:06 AM
Legend

Default Unofficial Discord

I decided to start an unofficial discord server for Soldak games! Come join us and show your support.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

I've known of Discord for a long time, but I have never used it. How does it work? Is it more like forums, more like chat, or something else?
Patreon
Old 03-13-2019, 02:11 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I've known of Discord for a long time, but I have never used it. How does it work? Is it more like forums, more like chat, or something else?
It's like a chat with multiple rooms, and it also includes direct voice chat, as well as voice chat channels for multiplayer parties and such. It facilitates quick, informal communication.

I'm happy to make you admin if you're interested, of course.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:34 PM
Legend

As opposed to Discourse (I know, why so similar?) which is the forum software used by places like quartertothree.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Are chats persistent? If I come in an hour, a day, or a week after a question is asked will I see it?
Patreon
Old 03-13-2019, 03:52 PM
Legend

Quote:
Are chats persistent? If I come in an hour, a day, or a week after a question is asked will I see it?
Yes. Unlike a forum, they're not thread-based though, so you may have to scroll up to find it. What people tend to do is, if there's a topic that keeps coming up, you make a dedicated channel for it, such as 'troubleshooting', or 'announcements'. You can also search all the way back in history to find something.

Additionally, you can ping someone with @, for example @Shadow (similar to Discourse or twitter). This will create a notification for the receiver and allow you to find that particular message, to which you can reply with another @.

And since there are many game servers in discord, it functions by having you logged in to all of them at once. Switching between them is as easy as clicking a button.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:36 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Discord is basically just the new IRC with a ton more features (they even have an API for bots and everything) and a Chromium based client. Can be opened in web browser as a browser app instead but the desktop app is more preferable to using that. It's also a store for selling games for some reason. They take a smaller cut out of sales than Steam does.