Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Amateur

Default First Impressions. (STEAM buyer)

Disclaimer first: Just got the game and I really am enjoying it, despite the critiques that follow. :/

Game runs perfectly at native resolution on my MBP. Haven't seen any lag issues or dropped frame-rates like were mentioned earlier in this forum. Maybe I am not there yet? Don't have that content? At any rate, game is solid.

So some aesthetics? The font is horrible, I know it is the style for this type of game but for something you are going to look at a lot, it shouldn't require effort. The ability to pick a font would be wonderful. There are a number of free monospaced fonts out there that look great. Borders on windows are tacky and waste too much "whitespace" without making me feel it is part of an overall theme.

Starting with too little inventory space is a turn off. I'm 15 minutes into the game and having to manage inventory already? I've been playing these types of games a long long time, crippling the player at the start doesn't work out well in the end. Even if these inventory issues are moot at later levels, the initial experience is just not good. I'm totally pulled out of the fun and put into the logical mode way too often.

Uhm, I am sure I will have more comments... trying not to be too much of a downer. But I did the same thing (re: pointing stuff out) in the torchlight 2 beta as well :P
Old 08-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Amateur

Thumbs up

My first impression is really simple; I think this game is absolutely advertised challenged. More people really need to know about this game, because its fantastic!

It runs happily on my rig (a modest Phenom II) and I had no trouble installing it or setting it up. The learning curve was just right, until I found out about leaving things to wait.

From there on, I was grinning from ear to ear at the mounting pressure and the scads of character possibilities I found playing this game.. so thank you Soldak Entertainment for a wonderful game.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by porovaara View Post

Starting with too little inventory space is a turn off. I'm 15 minutes into the game and having to manage inventory already? I've been playing these types of games a long long time, crippling the player at the start doesn't work out well in the end. Even if these inventory issues are moot at later levels, the initial experience is just not good. I'm totally pulled out of the fun and put into the logical mode way too often.

Uhm, I am sure I will have more comments... trying not to be too much of a downer. But I did the same thing (re: pointing stuff out) in the torchlight 2 beta as well :P
I found that to be the case when I first started up. But, I soon discovered that if I bought a few sacks and decided that character wasn't working..or I got killed. I'd load up that character and put all I could into the community chest. Then create a new character. Go to the chest and take the stuff (mainly the bags and weapons/armor) and my new character would have lots of room for a while. Be alert for any bag that is bigger than you own. Larger bags do tend to be scarce until higher levels. I only play characters up to level 20ish and start over. Check out the 'Mods' section for things that can make the game a little easier. You can always delete them later when you have a tougher character or know what to do when.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Amateur

Yeah I know you can do all that stuff with bags, but it *isn't* fun. I want my challenge from the stuff that has to die, not the stuff I have to sort.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Expert

I have to think that part of this type of game is always going to be inventory management. I made a topic an eon ago about some suggestions for updating the visuals - and mainly that concerned missing animations - one specifically being two handed weapons being treated in the same fashion as single handed.

At the moment I'd think that Shadow's obviously focusing on Drox, but maybe a future aesthetic update could really help this game. At the time it came out the graphics were a little dated, and I'm not sure how much the graphical back end of the engine has been updated since. I'm not a graphics whore by any means, still, it'd be nice to see a Soldak game with animation blending - at this point in time it's really quite jarring to find your character sliding across the floor in a set stance as they attack.

Last edited by MasterMorality : 09-02-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Expert

It was Din's Curse that introduced me to Soldak games. Obviously, Din's Curse made a good impression on me.

About inventory space; I wasn't too keen on it when I saw the small backpack size upon first starting up Dins. After seeing how easy it was to buy and find things to get more inventory space I then thought it was a good idea. I like it the way it is, but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I will say this. If backpack size were increased just a little more, a player like myself isn't going to complain, yet it might satisfy other players. I still want finding bags and such to be a neat thing, though.