Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Expert

Would the icons for map, quests etc. fit under the struct and armor bars, if they were smaller?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Amateur

Cargospace and Credits could move to the right to make place for these icons in between. In a separate (fitting) HUD element Although it'd create non-symmetry, it would allow all icons to placed there. And to the left would still be enough space for a chat window too. Generally, hud should not go in height if it can go in width ,)

But as I didn't do those icons, I am speculating, I didn't do them by the way, because there was no easy way to adapt them to this style. Just like the chat-bar for which I am not sure how to handle it. I think it could fit easily in a 1024 wide resolution between XP and Shield or left of the whole XP bar, but it would be a very tight fit.

Well, I never said GUI's are easy ;p This mockup taught me many things about what doesn't work too. Making the XP bar part of the main element was probably a bad idea after all.

Last edited by eRe4s3r : 06-28-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Champion

I'm gonna be a bad boy and bump this. It's that awesome.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Amateur

Some things at least have been incorporated into the game already ,) But hey, you just caused me to get an email alert for a post I had already forgotten about ;P
Old 09-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRe4s3r View Post
Some things at least have been incorporated into the game already ,)
Not enough, imo

Quote:
But hey, you just caused me to get an email alert for a post I had already forgotten about ;P
*dramatic sigh* Internet generation.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Elite

2-cents, for what it matters, from a designer:

Grey armor bar: Nothing for the eye to catch on. Armor is actually pretty vital -- and when it's gone you're in for a world of crew dying and components crapping out on you....and probably death (once your ship is crawling, defenseless & has no weapons left...because you rely on your crew to stay on top of the latest tech items). I'm surprised no one with a Hardcore ship raised a fuss.... Try a lilac color, or some non-conflicting color that your eye can find on the panel quickly.

As a matter of fact, the order of damage is Shield - then armor - then structure.... so there's no hierarchy of importance on your heads-up...once your shields are done in you next need to see how your armor is doing -- which is a zigzag on your set-up... Once shields are gone then damage goes to armor -- shouldn't armor then be on the left under Shield? that still doesn't make much sense though... I'm trying to picture this during play--- the defenses are a trifecta, not a 2x2.... it's 3 types of defense, 1 type of energy (actually there are 2 types of energy, but Max Load is hidden away). No matter what, it's best if they all run out in the same direction and there's only 1 place to focus your eyes for that split second.

So speaking of focus -- or lack thereof -- the heads-up design & coloration doesn't look like it would lend itself to peripheral vision. I'm not sure how it would work for those with color issues, too (which is a problem with the current GUI, as I understand it). So, does all that color fade to grey? To help with peripheral vision, I'd grey out the titles of each type on the heads-up when they're depleted. i.e. if you have no shields, the word "shields" should be grayed out. Or the names shouldn't be colored in the first place. Then I can tell from the corner of my eyes whether there's color up there or not. Also: Do the bars need to be based on BOTH placement and color? They could be bright/white & 100 & at -10% steps on the alpha channel as they deplete or something?

If the 1-0 slots are in the overhead, they're a peripheral vision distraction from being able to tell when vital stats are low. I think what should happen is that the keyslots/cargo/icons for info screens etc. should be on a retractable tab on the bottom of the screen. There can be a keypress to expand/contract them and a tab to click to expand/contract them. Get them out of the top of the GUI altogether -- leave that area for vitals. But it would be nice if they come up automatically when I'm in my inventory & remember to go away if I had them retracted.

XP - should be a bar across the top. I don't like the eyeballs -- sorry. I like the current bar and how it gets glow-y when you're close to making a level.... That type of treatment (in reverse) might work for health bars too -- glowy when they get below 25% or something....turn the titles red when they're out. (Sorry to the colorblind folk!)

Don't say Cargospace -- just say "Cargo".

As for words, space might be a problem in other languages. The gui shouldn't rely on English concepts/words.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Expert

Personally, I don't mind the current GUI because info displays are small and out of the way. I like being able to see as much as I can. I think the current GUI does good enough in that department.

Having said that, though, I'm not it's biggest fan, either. It's really just the Din's Curse GUI with a sci-fi paint job. Sure wouldn't hurt to do things differently. Just so long as we follow the first rule.. keeping info displays (shield, armor, etc) well out of the way. I prefer efficiency to eye candy.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Amateur

Good points are there...

Though, Shield / Energy is grouped because it's power related and because Energy and Shield are the most important stats, if your armor takes damage it's time to run.

If you have no energy, or no shields, it is usually your certain death unless you run, hence why these 2 things are the top info priority. Can you shoot, and can you fight without having repair cost penalty.

As for your other points relating to colors, well, mock it up yourself and see how it flows? I found that same color bars or same color text next to them looks horrible. And as I am partially red/green blind (50%) I can assure you that I have no color issues with it. How it would flow in the game however.. is one for the trial and error phase. If you can predict that about GUI's before implementing them for real you have a better sense than I have. That said, I would love some more mock-ups because if you describe it I still just can see what I want to see I DID post the PSD file after all....

If cargospace is truncated the cargo tab would look very jumbled and not link up nicely with the money tab and Frachtraum would not fit (German translation)

As for translation well.. good luck There is no real translation for "Structure" to German that would make any sense to what it is supposedly meaning here. So if a translation is planned, the GUI would have to be redesigned for that specifically.

And as there never was a translation planned as far as I know.. I did not take it into account ^^
Old 09-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Champion

Quote:
if your armor takes damage it's time to run.
Unless you're playing shieldless with only armor (yes, I've done that to save on powergrid)
Old 09-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Champion

Also, "Structure" could simply be "Hull". It's pretty much the same thing.