Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Amateur

Default Two annoying (somewhat) issues

1) Hardcore access
I love hardcore playing, and since i started to play RPG in HC now i am exclusively HC, it is just way more fun/challenge. Hence, 25 lvl of a ship to play HC is set waaay to high. If you really need to put some limitation so people learn first mechanics, lvl 8 or so should be more than enough.

2) Searching quests in explored system
I have it if i get a quest to search for something in a system that i have already explored. With a fog of war gone from mini map there is no way to check where i went, and which part i visited, nor to plan well my route of search. Overall, i think an indicator, kind of an expanding circle, showing at least a sector where my quest object can be found will save me a lot of frustrating wandering around ...
Old 09-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditoLoco View Post
2) Searching quests in explored system
I have it if i get a quest to search for something in a system that i have already explored. With a fog of war gone from mini map there is no way to check where i went, and which part i visited, nor to plan well my route of search. Overall, i think an indicator, kind of an expanding circle, showing at least a sector where my quest object can be found will save me a lot of frustrating wandering around ...
You may already know this, but you can reset the fog of war for a particular star system on the system map screen (press M - reset fog of war is the upper right button); but I'm not sure that's what you're requesting.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:57 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelLord View Post
You may already know this, but you can reset the fog of war for a particular star system on the system map screen (press M - reset fog of war is the upper right button); but I'm not sure that's what you're requesting.
Maybe what ditLoco is looking for is the "Search for Target" option that many quests have? I am not sure about the actual wording. Using the quest-dialog, when looking at the details of the quest in, err, question, there'll in some cases appear an additional button below the quest description. You must be in the target system, for the option to appear.

The affected quests are "kill [monster] X", "destroy the listening post" (or gate, or lightning storm generator, or ...), "kill the regenade/pirate Y" and some others. Not covered is "destroy [monster] Z's fleet", unfortunately. The "rescue XYZ" missions are handled differently (freighter XYZ is usually marked by a blue dot on the map; unfortunately the system given in the quest description is often wrong).

A couple caveat's: If the find target function is used, the marker it produces seems to have a fair margin of error. And some targets move around a alot.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Expert

I second wanting hardcore to be an option from the beginning, the game's too easy for me right now.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Amateur

Thanks a lot!!
Missed that option ... What a difference it makes to a gameplay ...
Old 09-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelLord View Post
I may be the only one here, but I personally dislike the reset fog of war thing. Opening up a map is something that takes time. I'd hate to feel like I wasted that time with a click of a button.

But, in Drox, there's no need to do it anyway, because of the ability to search for enemies. Kind of makes Reset Fog Of War obsolete. If the ability to search for enemies isn't mentioned in the tutorial texts, then perhaps something should be added. Someone like me might miss it, though, because I dislike tutorials
Old 09-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Elite

If you find the game "too easy" -- have you tried the "Very fast pace" or the challenge levels yet? You can also play above your ship's level very easily...which should get your ship up to the Level 25 needed for Hardcore pretty quickly. I'm sure playing a level 10 ship with a level 25 board would be very challenging...and rewarding.

However, I agree that you should be able to play Hardcore either immediately out-of-the-box or before level 25. After all, if you choose to do it -- it's your world of pain, not mine
Old 09-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisses View Post
If you find the game "too easy" -- have you tried the "Very fast pace" or the challenge levels yet? You can also play above your ship's level very easily...which should get your ship up to the Level 25 needed for Hardcore pretty quickly. I'm sure playing a level 10 ship with a level 25 board would be very challenging...and rewarding.

However, I agree that you should be able to play Hardcore either immediately out-of-the-box or before level 25. After all, if you choose to do it -- it's your world of pain, not mine
Yeah I've played that stuff, above the level etc. I just want a harder overall normal game type. I feel like right now, I'm one shotting way too many people(the general aliens not the civilizations).
Old 09-23-2012, 05:38 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditoLoco View Post
1) Hardcore access
I love hardcore playing, and since i started to play RPG in HC now i am exclusively HC, it is just way more fun/challenge. Hence, 25 lvl of a ship to play HC is set waaay to high. If you really need to put some limitation so people learn first mechanics, lvl 8 or so should be more than enough.
I have a related but slightly different issue. I played a semi-Hardcore pilot until level 25, then started a HC ship and deleted the semi-HC one. I assumed that the game would remember that HC mode was unlocked, even once the ship that unlocked it was deleted. (For comparison, achievements do seem to work this way.)

Apparently I was wrong: after my HC ship died, I cannot start a new one.

I'm not sure whether this is a glitch, or the game's intended behavior. In either case, does anyone know how to modify either the game resources or the save files to unlock HC mode? I'm not inclined to work yet another "throwaway" pilot to level 25...
Old 09-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

You could modify newCharacter.mnu and remove the CanPlayHardcore lines.
Patreon