Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Expert

Default Waging war for the sake of peace, a brief after action report.

I just got around to pulling off my first big four way diplomatic win with alliances and had quite a time doing it.

Starting out, there were the Human, Dryad, Utopian, Fringe, and Shadow. Conveniently enough, everybody hated Shadow, and proceeded to declare war. At this point I saw an opportunity for a fairly easy large diplomatic win, or so I thought.

Things were just going great. I had almost formed alliances between the Human, Dryad, Utopian, and Fringe, and had planned to help eliminate the Shadow and finish with a diplomatic win.

Unfortunately, right after slaying some space beast called "Undaunted" (I'll explain why this is significant later), the Dryad decided they didn't like war and eventually attempted to make peace with the Shadow.
Normally I'm all for peace but this sort of put a wrench in my plans needless to say.

Right after that happened, the Legion seems to butt in out of nowhere. I don't know if they were there all along of if they just came in, but all of a sudden they were there, and causing more problems.
For some reason, at this point almost every race in my little Alliance, with the exception of the Utopian, breaks off war with the Shadow. Shortly after that the whole Alliance decides to go to war against the Legion.

Legion falls pretty quick due to not having very many planets to begin with. Afterwards I was left with the question of whether to destroy the Shadow or bring the Shadow into my little Alliance and make it a 5-way (maybe with extra hot sauce!). Utopian continued to be sore with the Shadow, so I decided not to pursue peace, and eventually the whole Alliance was at war with Shadow again.

This was when I ran into a huge group of mobs led by my old buddy "Undaunted". Yes, it was the exact same type of mob with the exact same name! "Undaunted" and his cohorts caught me at a bad time with my shields half down and managed to do some damage and generally be annoying before dying.

Once again things were going just as planned for a while, until the glorious war was interrupted again. Yup, you guessed it, the Dryads. Again they decided they didn't want to keep fighting war, and made peace with the Shadow again!

GODDAMMIT YOU TREE HUGGERS! I'M TRYING TO WAGE WAR FOR THE SAKE OF PEACE HERE!

Just as was spreading some bad rumors of the Shadow to get the Dryad to go to war with them again, some stuff among the Dryads I wasn't paying much attention to got worse. Soon enough I open up the relations screen faced with a new icon...

DRYAD REBELS!

They were like regular Dryads, except more evil looking!
I've never had this happen before so this caught me totally off guard. Yet another faction to screw up my plans!
They didn't do much at first and I was in the process of trying to decide what the heck I should do about them when suddenly, Legion returns!

"My name is Legion, for we are many!"

Yup, the Legion returned, fresh from the dead and back for another beating! Once again everyone broke off war with the Shadow, once again they all went to war with the Legion, and once again Legion get stepped on in what must have been the shortest run a race has had in any of my sectors so far.

Heading back for repairs and limping somewhat from the fight to destroy the last Legion colony, my who else but my old nemesis shows up yet again, "Undaunted". Yes, the exact same type of mob, with the exact same name, which I will now refer to as "Undaunted The Undying"!
"Undaunted The Undying", due to my ship having damaged components and shields that had yet to fully recharge, actually manages to kill me this time!
Needless to say I was kinda pissed. I didn't really need to, but I headed straight back to that system to recover my black box and once again kill off "Undaunted The Undying" for the last time.

After that brief crisis I decided to attempt "expel" the Dryad from my little Alliance at this point seeing as they've caused my so much trouble so far.
However, just before I started spreading the rumors, the Dryad declare war on the Dryad Rebels. Every other race soon followed, and the Dryad Rebels quickly succumb, leaving the original group of races. Huzzah!

The Dryad then declared war on the Shadow, along with every other race in the Alliance. I decided to really try to press this opportunity because I really really really DID NOT want to wait until the Dryad had a chance to wimp out again. I destroy the last Shadow colony right after the Dryad break off war!

Just a few quests later I finally got the last alliance I needed for the Diplomatic Win (Dryads *sigh*), and many goodies were had!

So I've learned a few things:
-Waging war for long periods of time can be tricky when you have Dryads on board.
-Always carry extra Shield Surge.
-Some SOBs just never seem to die, their sheer malignancy and hatred for your guts will keep bringing them back!
-Rumors can be your friend.
-I love this game.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

These kind of stories are exactly why we like making our games have lots of dynamic elements in them.
Patreon
Old 11-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Amateur

Default Great read

Thanks for writing this up, it was a very well written and entertaining read. I'd like to see a whole section on the forum for stories like this. Another nice thing to see in this game would be some kind of logging option you could turn on. We could then use that log as a framework to flesh out more cool stories like this one. Great game!
Old 11-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smakx View Post
Thanks for writing this up, it was a very well written and entertaining read. I'd like to see a whole section on the forum for stories like this. Another nice thing to see in this game would be some kind of logging option you could turn on. We could then use that log as a framework to flesh out more cool stories like this one. Great game!
The game actually does log all of the event prints. There is a Logs directory where you characters are stored.
Patreon
Old 11-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
The game actually does log all of the event prints. There is a Logs directory where you characters are stored.
Wow, is there anything you didn't think of? This game is really great addictive fun. I had to force myself to bed at 4am this morning, I can't think of a better measure of a game. Maybe that would be a good rating scale for a reviewer to use; "This game kept me up until 4am, It gets a 4 am rating, my highest rating to date".
Old 11-18-2012, 02:42 AM
Elite

The Legion are actually wandering monsters who can sometimes take over a planet. There's also Talon and Overlord. No idea what precisely triggers it.

There was this one great sector where I managed to keep almost every race intact and pull off a fear victory. So many treasure chests...
more covenants: we smell blood in the water, ATTACK!
game: the guilded coin are raiding (player covenant) the shining blades are raiding (player covenant) the black raiders are raiding (player covenant) (player covenant)'s life stone is threatened (at 75%)
Player: *&%#
Draaien: hey, where did they all go?
Old 11-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Amateur

I love the "Up-Till-4 a.m." epic space wars. The attrition doesn't get stale, it makes you want to keep playing until it's finished even more!