Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > News/Blog comments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Elite

Default Friday 5 New Year

1. Steven is working all the time. He gets up when the kids go to school and works, takes a lunch break, then around 7 PM, wanders into the kitchen in search of the mysterious dinner that I usually don't cook. Then he works more, watches an hour of tv/movies and goes to bed. I may see him for a bit if we playtest for an hour in the evening, but that's it. It makes me sad.

2. I wrote 2/3 of a 120,000 science fiction novel last year. Yay! I'm really tempted to make a goal to write a novel this year, something different from Vampire Planet, but it would be a stupid thing to do. Stress is eating me alive and I don't have much to work with to push through the psychological mind games of writing, plus the constant interruptions coming from running the house and raising the kids.

3. So... Perhaps this year can be the don't-stress-about-writing-and-just-read year. I've already read 3 books this month, so I'm on track for reading 48 books in 2010! I'll probably write some short stories though. I need to prepare myself for Depths 2 so I won't be overwhelmed when Soldak decides to create it.

4. I'm tired. I can't seem to snap back into the swing of things and get back on routine after the holidays. I surprised myself by sleeping 10 hours a night for about a week straight. Usually I can only sleep 10 hours for a couple of nights and then I'm back at a happy 9 hours. During the school week, I sleep about 8 hours, which leaves me feeling like a zombie by Thursday.

5. Is it just me, or is this winter crazy cold? I miss going on walks, but not enough to bare the freezing (below 30 F) temperatures. Oh well. It isn't like I have excess energy to burn! Getting a bit of exercise and sunlight usually levels out my mood though, keeps me happy and positive.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Expert

With all the brain flying around in that house, you at least find some solace in knowing that your kids will be smart ones! =]
Old 01-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Elite

Sometimes I tell the kids I'm growing them for their brains... their juicy, juicy brains. I put my hand on top of their head and give it a couple of squeezes. Not ripe yet!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Expert

I knew when I made that post that somebody would interpret it in a zombie-esq way :P
Old 01-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delilah Rehm View Post
Sometimes I tell the kids I'm growing them for their brains... their juicy, juicy brains. I put my hand on top of their head and give it a couple of squeezes. Not ripe yet!
ROFLMAO
Old 01-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Elite

Default 1-15-2010

1. When I was young, stressed and depressed I used to daydream of getting in my car and driving far away from the social anxiety and family drama, that if I could get away from these demons, I could be happy. I was blessed with a time of utter stability though I was somewhat lonely. I solved the lonely bit, yet now I am plagued with financial anxiety and health drama (nothing of immediate seriousness). It's always something - right? Anyway, these days I don't escape through daydreams of escape by car. Instead, I tend to draw floorplans of my dream house, both fully equipped and a scaled down "realistic" version.

2. Reading - I'm doing it! Currently I'm reading two books at the same time, one at my desk and one in the bedroom. This worked amazingly well... at first. Now I've run into a tiny problem. They are both revving up and getting very interesting! Since I tend to read cover to cover with little other activity, I'm worried I'm about to forgo all other duties to finish both of these books. Though, maybe I won't. I don't love either book, so I guess we'll see.

3. I have several acquaintances who watch new movies regularly. I don't. I don't even care to. It's just not that important to me. I feel a little bit of peer pressure - like everyone's doing it so what's wrong with me? Anyway, I wonder if getting to know and care about someone based on current movies is a shallow thing. If you truly love it, then I don't think so. But most people aren't really kindred spirits on this level, but perhaps do it because it's the thing to do.

4. I used to love surfing the net, especially checking out the social sites. Lately, I'm not as into it. I might post once a day on facebook and less on twitter. I still like coming here the most, but there isn't enough traffic! *sadness* I'm hoping things will warm up soon, with Din's coming out.

5. Speaking of Din's Curse - I'm playing it almost everyday. It is engaging. Even without covenant play, there are actually more variables to deal with. New monsters, skills, weapons, armor, and environment details make solving quests and exploring more complicated and fun. I absolutely LOVE multiplayer. Playing with Steven and/or the kids is a blast. Even our eight year old daughter has a good time. Also love the new artifact and legend items - using them and collecting them.

My peace of mind really needs this game to take off like a rocket and sell 4-5 times better than our first two games. That's really a lot. I think Din's Curse has a chance. The foundation is there.

Every new game feels like I'm coming to a wall of the unknown, where I can't predict the future and it is scary as hell. The first time was the worst, but I'm more familiar with the experience now. I've learned that even though I hope for something amazing, I keep my expectations low. It reminds me of the early dating years, first kisses and such. Overwhelming emotion, extreme highs and lows, and butterflies in the stomach like a crazy rollercoaster ride.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Elite

Default It's Wednesday, So What?

1. It is too quiet here. Chat, people! That's an order.

2. I really like making amigurumi (stuffed animals from yarn). It's fun to look at all of the game related amigurumi on google images. I've mostly made animals, but I did make a jiggly puff pokemon for my daughter for Christmas. I have pictures up on raverly under del9lah, but you have to have an account to see them. I might have some in facebook, but same thing.

3. OMG!!! ELIZABETH MOON will be on ConDFW this year, Feb 12-14. I'm really excited to see her again. She is my second favorite writer of all time. I love, absolutely love how she writes. I'm going to enjoy hanging out with her as much as I can without being annoying, and I may go a little fan girl on her. It can't be helped. She is AMAZING.

4. I'm fastly approaching a crossroads and I'm not sure what road to take. One road I can't talk about, and the other is buckling down, getting over myself and really pouring my all into Vampire Planet. Rachel Caine finished a book while undergoing cancer treatments. So what I'm insanely stressed and frustratingly interrupted after 3 pm? I need to trade in my whiny-mobile and just get on with it.

5. I had a great time at my writers group last night. They are a wonderful group of people brimming with talent. One of our kin, Jerry Davis moved to Chicago (or somewhere that-a-ways) and we're talking about taking a road trip to a Chicago con and hooking up with him again. If I was putting money on it, I think he might be the first one published main stream, because I hear his latest wip is awesome. Next might be Melanie because she's got several things to shop to agents, then maybe Michelle and Bill. Am I holding them back with my drama? (God I hate drama!) Or maybe they are pulling me up.

I'm going to finish that long Lumen story today, the one I gave you guys a sneak peek during the Fantastical Creature Reality Show... Last year! *eep*
Old 01-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Elite

Scheise. I don't remember where I put that lumen story. I'm not even sure what I called it.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Elite

Okay, I found one version of it but I thought I had more. I hope this is the latest version. :-/ (This is what happens when you let things hibernate for a year!!!)
Old 01-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Elite

Somewhere I have notes on this story, but after all the searching to *find* the story, I think I'll take new notes.