Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Amateur

Talking Beta Feedback (various things)

First of all this is rather a collection of things from a discussion over here and some other stuff
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/ind...c,10939.0.html

If you know me from there, you know you can expect some deeper points on GUI in this topic ;p

Now not going to write too much, just some points. This is not going to be about what I like, because it's a lot. It is about what I think needs some do-over for this to become a great game, as such, it is my personal opinion. It is going to be linked from that topic above as well.

- The game needs quest direction indicators as a RING direction indicator on the minimap (at the very least) because space can be huge, and objectives move. The game is already way too fast paced to "search" randomly for kill missions. Of 12 kill missions I did not reach a single one before it ran into a planet or got killed by something else. (Probably it's me sucking)

- The game also needs a "set quest goal as waypoint" and "set waypoint here" function in the system map, display the way point there, and display quest coals there.

- The minimap needs to be.. better, show more, and be slightly larger.
# Directional outer-ring indicators for quest objectives (Golden) and Waypoints (blue)
# Different zoom levels

- The GUI (and oh boy, this is gonna be a huge point) has peculiar design choices everywhere
# The font is peculiar
# the color choices are particularly peculiar
# The GUI is extremely uninformative on first glance, I also don't like when GUI elements hide information that is vital from you (with my lazy mockup next to it attached the worst offending piece of GUI) I am not a huge fan of splitting armor and hull apart in GUI display of health, . Because it's health. So 50% health would mean all armor is destroyed. These bars are also not random, there are 20 bars for the ability to display 5% increases or decreases, for health 10 bars double as armor display when armor is installed.. Notice that in my mockup you can instantly see you are at full health and bars no longer clip over when they are above a value in relation to other bars. And further note, less strong colors, because the last thing you want in a GUI is R Y B at literally 100% saturation.

And also.. one never ever uses the FULL saturation values of colors in a GUI, NEVER, EVER. Open up the mockup in photoshop if you want to see what color values look pleasing, and for all I care, reuse the bars although they are the laziest possible bar design (I am not exactly going to put any large effort in mockups). All my mockups are free to abuse, discuss rip apart and modify. In fact, my mock-up is not to be used as-is but rather as an "this is how it could look"...

- Maybe turn rate should also be a stat on engines?

- More interactions between items? these are not armor pieces that exist without connections, what is connected to what, and what is in a slot next to what or below or above what could matter... maybe?

- When I select very slow game pace, I do not want that the game has major events every 5 seconds. Maybe the pacing still needs some adapting

- Because this is an indy game I am not gonna bash the Intro movie. Though it might be advisable that when Drox gets on Steam not to play it at the start then.

- I actually like the explosion and weapon effects, kudos for those

- the fog of war and the border of the system need to be displayed properly in the actual game window. Having to explore by looking all the time on the minimap to see where to go is suboptimal.

- Zoom should probably not be locked on that distance.

Well that's all. Flame, enjoy and comment

Last edited by eRe4s3r : 06-19-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Elite

Hey eRe4s3r, it doesn't look like the picture in your post is working. Can you post a link to the picture?
Old 06-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castruccio View Post
Hey eRe4s3r, it doesn't look like the picture in your post is working. Can you post a link to the picture?
http://www.imgur.com/qplSn

fixt it!
I like this layout alot, tbh
Old 06-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Champion

I like it too.

Quote:
I am not a huge fan of splitting armor and hull apart in GUI display of health, . Because it's health.
It's quite different. You can stay forever with the first ship, at 0 Command. You will have a very low Structure. With Plating, you will be able to have a very strong Armor, and you can add Shield too, or even only Shield.

So maybe only one bar is enough, but at least, i feel i need two colors like in your layout green/grey.

Or maybe, change how the armor works, and make it like in many other games, negate the damage taken by a % or something similar.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Champion

GUI improvements are critical. I might make a similar 'mock up' for the inventory later, but the colours won't be as improved as in this example.

A little change in a UI goes a long way to reducing barriers to entry and improving usability.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Legend

Ive had little success with long range missiles now that missiles were totally nerfed. It sucks cause they were my favorite weapons. Has anyone else had any success with missiles or are lasers the only thing to use now. Im finding it hard to play altogether.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Amateur

I fixed the image But as Steven likely read what followed this topic in that original topic I have little more to add (for now)

Well, except of course that at the first linked topic we kinda arrived on the conclusion that exploration currently feels like mowing a lawn with a blindfold. When you explore you do it nearly entirely based on the minimap which is not a bad thing per sé (heck, Diablo 3 certainly does that as well..). But the minimap is very small and its view-range is equally so.

Secondly, to combat that feeling there could be first, the system implemented that planets we ought to fly to in a quest get a marker (not explored, but a directional marker) and so do jump portals and warp points. The reason that is vital is that in Drox the sectors are large (even the smallest) and we have no comparable system like the dungeon level. (Dungeons were sort of linear so exploring them was easy) but space is not linear

- As for missiles and ram drivers, they are too expensive to use at the beginning indeed, think that nerf was a bit too much particularly at the earlier levels (where you have essentially just the choice between ECM and Laser).
Old 06-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
Ive had little success with long range missiles now that missiles were totally nerfed. It sucks cause they were my favorite weapons. Has anyone else had any success with missiles or are lasers the only thing to use now. Im finding it hard to play altogether.
I was running all-missiles too, but I'd already readjusted to a beam-missile mix because I'd run into the monsters that can reflect missiles back at you (that really hurts). Now I tend to use my beam more than my missile but it's still valuable for targets I want to kill in one shot or nearly so (to avoid the healer monsters undoing my work between shots), and for longer-range kiting when I'm not comfortable getting into beam range.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

The next build will lessen energy use for all weapons.
Patreon
Old 06-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
The next build will lessen energy use for all weapons.
I knew putting all my crew points into Whining would help!