Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Amateur

Default Last two races allied, how do I win?

Hello all! I just got the game last night, and so far I love it, but I have one big problem that is keeping me from going any further...

In my current (and first) game, I am down to the last 2 races out of 4 and I am allied with both races with 100 / 100 relations. They are also allied and in love with each other with 100 / 100 relations, and I don't think they plan on going to war with each other any time soon.

Is there something I can do to make them hate each other?

Now, I have tried spreading rumors about both sides, and even though the rumors are successful, their love for each other only goes down to about 95 / 100 at the most (after spending all of my credits spreading them) and just 20 seconds later it goes right back up to 100 / 100. I have tried talking both sides into breaking alliance or going to war and offered them money / technology / planet locations, but they just laugh in my face and tell me it will never happen. I am totally confused about what to do here, does anyone have any advice? I am only level 9, should I just keep doing quests and wait for them to hate each other all of a sudden? Do I have to keep playing this one game until I get a huge amount of cash to pay off one side or the other? (which would take forever) Could my game possibly be screwed? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

They are supposed to turn on each other eventually, although it sounds like that isn't working very well.
Patreon
Old 07-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Elite

Why not make allied victory an option? If everybody is allied and it stays that way for 10 minutes, call it a victory.

Last edited by Roswitha : 07-02-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswitha View Post
Why not make allied victory an option? If everybody is allied and it stays that way for 10 minutes, call it a victory.
They aren't meant to stay allied.

Oh, the other possible issue is that there might be other races still lurking about that you haven't discovered yet.
Patreon
Old 07-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
They are supposed to turn on each other eventually, although it sounds like that isn't working very well.
On the contrary; I had a game pre-patch that I was about to win, and once I resumed it with the patch installed, everyone turned on each other in an instant.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Champion

Hasn't worked for me thus far. The two factions left are happy as clams together. All the credits I've got can't buy a war between em. Not that I mind directly. One race earns all the credits, the other race takes all the planets like a fat kid at an all-you-can-eat buffet table.

So I fly around, mop up rogue ships, occasionally do quests, sell bunches of components, earn tons of credits and keep on keepin' on. A planet here or there sometimes has a nice surprise in stock. Nobody has been giving me any gifts though. I am bummed. After all the work I went through to secure my inevitable stalemate. :P
Old 07-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Expert

What happens if you declare war on one of the races? It worked well for me since I was allies with the other race, and they were not allies themselves.

It was pretty awesome because the two races that were friendly, and had a lot of close proximty planets, suddenly dropped into a bloody, back ally brawl. Instant warzone. I actually felt a little guilty, but it got the sector completed in pretty short order.

I'm curious what would have happened if the computers were allies as well. Which side would they have chosen?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Amateur

Having the same problem on .905. I tried going to war with one of them, but since their ships can wipe the floor with me, it didn't help much. Tried bombing from afar, but as soon as I killed the colony, they'd colonize another, sometimes even faster than the time it took for me to destroy it. Stuck in a unwinnable state right now.
Map size is medium, normal pacing, level 30 monsters, I'm level 33.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Champion

War with one is war with both. We're all together in a tree-happy hippy trio-commune. Partly my fault because I didn't realize that the victory conditions had been paired all the way down to "last man standing...period" in 905 (or was it 4? whatever).

Backstory - It was a splinter group of another faction. When they broke away, they took several planets and LOTS of quests with them; quests that I could do to get xp, earn credits and gain favor (granting that it took some work on my part to defend those planets from their rivals). So I helped cultivate a mutual appreciation between them and my allied faction so I wouldn't have faction backlash from all those quests. Had I known that doing such would result in an unwinnable game I wouldn't have.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Amateur

I've had exactly the same issue with my first game yesterday, running .905. I have two races remaining, allied, and I can't seem to do anything to resolve the sector. I think if the last man standing winning condition is to be viable, there needs to be something in the code to antagonise the last two races - a second colony rush followed by a a guaranteed war, or just war if the entire sector is already full. Something to bring the sector to a close for the player, one way or another, so that they can move on.

As an aside, I've had the same experience with rumours too - miniscule changes in attitude, which are almost immediately reversed. The rumours seem to provide no real value for the player's money in the circumstances you'd want to use them at all.