Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Default Drox beta patch 0.906

Beta Patch 0.906 of Drox Operative is available over on the Drox Operative patch page. Changes can be read here. This patch makes races defend their planets better, starts giving the player more info about the races, adds a win progress screen, makes vendors more race specific, and fixes a lot of other little things.
Patreon
Old 07-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Elite

A lot of significant changes here! Can't wait to try it out.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Amateur

Awesome, 9.06 released; I'm loving the pace of these releases. I'm definitely one in favor of more frequent, smaller patches. And it's also a great practice that you're citing community contributions in the changelist
Old 07-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Champion

Initial impressions after a couple hours, new sector, on my level 26 ship.

1. Love, Love, Love the patrolling ships. I have seen this cause wars between neighboring planets that are at war. I have also been unable to exploit my usual long distance bombing techniques (at least, so far, still trying to exploit to see if I can). I got out of a fight with several Drakk planets that had some patrolling human ships coming in to assist in the assault. It is pretty awesome to have multiple dreadnoughts battling it out alongside my "Light Titan" Brunt Ship.

2. Bombers (and I assume fighters and interceptors) are much more useful. They live for a reasonable amount of time and do a decent amount of damage. I have not tried a pure carrier ship, but thus far bombers + missiles have been working pretty good for my Brunt ship. I am running two heavy power plants to keep things going.

3. Love the UI/Menu changes. The bars are now very clear on all of the menus. The relations screen power rating is now very easy to read as well. Good idea adding the "Win Progress" button to that menu as well, I like it.

4. Bombs are now more reasonable. My 16dps bomb Superior Fusion Bomb (req 28 tactical) was outperforming missiles that required 39+ tactical. Any time I tried any other weapon the bombs were always the better choice. The reduced range seems much more reasonable to me. (I should mention I have 60 tactical now).

5. The item provided on level up was appropriate for my level. I received a missile requiring 48 tactical as a Brunt ship leveling up to 26. I was immediately able to make use of this missile (53.5 dps, 11.2 radiation damage/2 seconds)

6. Confirmed that ships still belonged to the original faction when their planet was destroyed. No more phantom ships sitting there forever shooting at monsters.

7. I received 4 technologies in my new sector, 2 of which were worthwhile for trading purposes. Thank you! I felt like I could play more of a role in helping my side with them, even though my human friends are currently a little behind those Cortex fellows...

---- What I'd still like to see:

1. Diplomacy option to request assistance attacking a planet/system. I'd like to be able to initiate these for help with well defended planets as those dreadnoughts can be tough to take down. I'd also like it to work vice-versa and have my ally/protection-pact partner request my assistance as well. I can see this working as a quest you pickup from the diplomacy menu but "solve" at the friendly planet the assault is launching from. When you arrive, launch the assault and you can fly with them. When you destroy the enemy planet, allow the player an addition quest to solve that provides the bulk of the exp, proving they actually played their part in the attack.

--- Overall short term assessment
Kudos, Soldak. I am having fun again. Hopefully it holds up when I finish this sector and try starting a new ship again.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Expert

I agree that bombs deserved to be nerfed some. They were waaay more useful than the other stuff and you want everything to be useful.
All of the patch stuff sounds great.

As for that diplomacy stuff he was talking about, I got an extra idea to add to that. In my opinion, you should be able to get some ships to come with you to invade somewhere, but it should cost you money. You are a mercenary, and the payment adds a risk/reward so that you don't just keep getting people to come invade every planet for free. Also, if you failed to take the planet and you lost the ships your reputation should go down with the faction for frivolously destroying lives.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Expert

Also, maybe make an option where you can't put every available point into command. I'm pretty sure I've been doing it horribly wrong for the entire 64 levels, though having 3 pulsar generators and a lightning field make for an extremely beefy death-dealing experience. Heavy handed? Absolutely. Satisfying? Incredibly.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Expert

Also, when creating a character, it would be useful to be able to see what extra racial slots each race gets and what are their starting weapons.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:44 AM
Expert

Well, I'm sort of glad bombs aren't bugged anymore. I was surprised how small the correct blast radius really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aReclusiveMind View Post
2. Bombers (and I assume fighters and interceptors) are much more useful. They live for a reasonable amount of time and do a decent amount of damage. I have not tried a pure carrier ship, but thus far bombers + missiles have been working pretty good for my Brunt ship. I am running two heavy power plants to keep things going.
It's pretty fun to play my Fringe carrier. I'm up to 3 bays now.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:02 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Figure View Post
It's pretty fun to play my Fringe carrier. I'm up to 3 bays now.
I'm debating starting a hardcore mode carrier with a 3 bay setup sometime soon. I can tell just with the 5 bombers I had deployed that it is bound to be quite a bit more fun now. Good to hear from someone who is currently using that type of setup.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:59 AM
Expert

nice changes shadow, liking the mobile defensive fleets on planets, helps a lot... and the fact that the defensive ships no longer become idle and raceless when the planet is detroyed is good but - to have them all explode when a race is destroyed on final planet death? maybe its a bit much? encourages focussing final attacks completely on the planet and not having to fight the last remaining defensive fleets - for me it would be better if they switched to hunt the ships/operative which took down the world, tried to get revenge in some way??