Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Elite

Default Low power load builds?

Has anyone been having success with low power load and/or low Engineering builds? Engineering is one of the first things I pump up; big power plants are basically compulsory to me.

If you've made a low power load work, how did you do it?
Old 07-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Expert

I really don't see how a low power setup could work and I'm curious to see if it's possible too. It seems like an absolute must to have a good battery.

It almost makes me think that the Fringe are overpowered because they're able to carry 2 batteries.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Elite

Or one battery, freeing them up to use a Heavy slot for anything they want.

Fringe seem super good because (as far as I can tell) every build needs a power plant, but the other race items are things it's possible to get by without. Like, a Fringe with a missile seems equivalent to a Brunt in all respects other than stats. The Fringe can easily swap out the missile, though. Not sure how to play without a heavy power plant.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Champion

I built a heavily armored Lithosoid carrier with a lightning field as my only weapon. It worked well, if a little slow, up to the mid 20's. Damage output couldn't keep up at that point. Replacement fighters were the only cost after your original build up and the lightning field only needed to be fired up occasionally.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Expert

I suppose you could go all armor, but to make that work you would need a repair unit soooo yeah..
Old 07-17-2012, 12:45 AM
Amateur

I'm in agreement here too; bumping up the availability of power to all builds is crucial towards encouraging more diverse builds. It would just be awesome to have more than 1 heavy weapon be feasible for most builds.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:53 AM
Amateur

I immedietly jumped on the Fringe bandwagon, it was the second ship I made, and have been playing till 40, having two powerplants is just overpowered. I agree, Fringe is OP, but I think all races have the potential to be equally as good.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:10 AM
Expert

What would fix all of this would just to be to add an engine box for all battery components to go in on a space ship. A car needs a battery, why not a spaceship? Basically give everyone the Fringe's ability and change the Fringe's ability to something else.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Elite

It's possible to get by with medium thrust components instead of heavy, or even use medium components for most of your damage.

But the difference between a power plant and a solar panel is just huge. I don't know how to keep up without a power plant. A solar panel will let you equip maybe one extra thing. Not sure when I'd use a tesla coil.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumpy View Post
It's possible to get by with medium thrust components instead of heavy, or even use medium components for most of your damage.

But the difference between a power plant and a solar panel is just huge. I don't know how to keep up without a power plant. A solar panel will let you equip maybe one extra thing. Not sure when I'd use a tesla coil.
Yeah I don't know how to power up with anything but a reactor. I finally gained another heavy slot at level 16 and now I can barely power the new laser I put into it. It's quite frustrating, because little of the experimentation that was supposed to be possible with this system has been available to me so far -- maybe it becomes possible with more slots, but I'm definitely not there. It feels to me like ships should start with 4/4/4. Also, I'd like to see miniature versions of items, like a light reactor or a light laser, which produce less and require less, so i could play around with stuff.

I also agree that the Fringe's free power plant seems OP. They should be given a free solar panel instead.