Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Default Drox beta patch 0.912

Beta Patch 0.912 of Drox Operative is available over on the Drox Operative patch page. Changes can be read here. This patch starts to make each system more unique and fixes a bunch of other little things.
Patreon
Old 07-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Expert

nice shadow, many thanks for the continued work.

Really been enjoying the new win conditions and the changes here look like a nice selection, including the performance boosts and tweaks.

interested to see what this means exactly :

can now have per level modifiers (18 of them so far)

could you elaborate if you have time? or i guess i could go through chumpy's threads to find the idea.

was travelling for a couple of weeks and had no time to play, but i think the game is really shaping up nicely now. More content, freedom and diversity. Definitely feels more like the mercenary experience i imagined - making choice for me rather than always with the potential benefit of one particular race in mind.

a couple of bugs...?...

1) maybe i'm just missing it in the battles but i still don't seem to recieve any exp from killing a planet

2) last night i won a very satisfying economic victory, and then spent a little more time in the sector completing a couple of treasure map quests i had picked up along the way. during that time the brunt killed off the only other race and being as i wasn't allied with them i got a loose timer.... so flashing win sector symbol and loose timer at the same time?! seems to me once you have 'won' the sector (one way or another) you should be free to hang around as long as you want, and should surely never see the loose timer?!

and one question - i like the defend planet quest that is created after colonizing a new world, but i'm interested to know what the conditions are exactly right now... i have done two so far and both went obselete before completion (not failed). I wasn't right at the planet when the allied ship showed up - is that why? i have to be there to great the defensive ship to complete the mission??

one feature i thought of recently was to do with my fighters. The whole play as a cruiser with fighters thing works great right now, but i was wondering if it might be possible to implement a little 'fleet control' into the game? something really simple, like one button for switching your fighters between two modes...

1) follow and attack at will [as things are now]

and

2) follow and attack nothing until i do or i switch you back to the free attack mode (#1).

The UI would not need a major overhaul if for example you just changed the font color of your fighter ships when they were in mode 1 or two (white and yellow for example) or it could be represented by a simple icon (like the others in use now). Also, would only need one new keybind control.

Using exactly the same system this would then allow for some kind of target focusing for your fighter fleet. i.e. fly into a combat situation with fighters in mode two, then when i attack my intended target all my fighters break into combat mode but with my first target as their primary target (until it is destroyed?).

Possible? Hope so.... Thanks again!
Old 07-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Elite

I'm doing a planet defense quest for a remote Cortex planet I just colonized for them.

After waiting several minutes, Cortex ships finally came into view and... flew right past the planet to a new star system?

I think they forgot about me.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasan View Post
can now have per level modifiers

and one question - i like the defend planet quest that is created after colonizing a new world, but i'm interested to know what the conditions are exactly right now
The level modifiers are things that can make a level more unique like Talon dominating that level, more monsters than usual, or more benign stuff like more anomalies.

To complete a defend the planet quest the colony has to survive until they build another ship and you need to be fairly close by when that happens.
Patreon
Old 07-31-2012, 07:24 PM
Elite

Things noticed/remembered in game play today:

1) I have a lot of thrust. I left-click on space junk in front of me (continuous thrusters, they disengage to park me on/near the junk), junk-checking sound, I slide a little too far, junk sound stops & nothing shows up, and the junk disappears. I have yet to uncover loot when I "skid to a halt" at the junk like this and move out of junk-checking-range... but the junk goes away... Same seems to happen with anomalies, too. Will continue to test if you think I'm wrong.

2) Planet needs a <quest item> -- sometimes they're selling the item....perhaps for another planet who needs the same item, but it's ridiculous to be able to purchase then sell the item right there to fill the quest.... This needs some fact-checking logic behind it...might have to change inventory if the planets all spawn quests needing the same item (if there's only a couple planets left for example...).
Old 07-31-2012, 09:34 PM
Amateur

Default The flamethrower monsters are outsized in power

So I'm level 21 and have the pleasure of encountering the flamethrowing monsters whos name I can't remember. I must say, that those seem disproportionately powerful compared to anything else including the self destructing ones. They are the only enemy that can consistently hit me, let alone bring my shields down. Can the damage be adjusted downward based on the amount of defense a ship has? I think that would bring them into line. I feel that they should be doing 1/2 the damage they are currently doing. Otherwise I'm quite enjoying the game!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:45 PM
Champion

I love those flame-throwing monsters. You actually have to adjust tactics to fight them. Keep moving. If you sit still, they'll drop a fire cone on you and eat you right up. As soon as you see one, it's thrusters go.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 PM
Expert

I like them, too, but if you get stunned when there are 4 or more around, I can't say that that's good times. Nor when they gang up on a ship that needs rescuing.

I second the request for a slight reduction to Patchwork damage or the duration of their attacks.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:23 AM
Amateur

It's not that they require tactics per se, it's that they are so disproportionately dangerous as compared to the others; now if the reward for killing them, in exp and item quality were proportionate to the increase in their difficulty, I'd be satisfied. So if they offered 2x the rewards, well then that's just as good in my book!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Elite

I think they are a good example of monster variety, and we could really use some more variety. How about a ship type that can go faster than 200? (And, no, the race ships Mario Karting at ridiculous speed back to their home planet don't count.) Or a ship type that actively avoids player mines?

Right now the "strategy" for dealing with ships is pretty much identical for all of them... let's mix it up a bit. (=