Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Demon War
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2011, 06:33 AM
Legend

Default Environmental Effects

Just to round out the environmental effects in the game, I think it would be nice if the following were supported:

- Gas leaks should blow up from lightning too.
- Water should evaporate with enough fire damage (water's life should be quite high for this (maybe even increasing per level), or it won't have time to confer fire resistance.)
- Water should be freezable into ice patches. I think this one will be hard to pull off given the game mechanics, since hitting the water with fire and with ice both count for damage, but... it's worth a try?
Old 04-16-2011, 05:21 AM
Champion

I'd like to see much more persistent environmental stuff, to allow poison leaks to create poison rooms, leaky levels to create real lightning hazards through puddles everywhere, etc.

I imagine simply increasing the lifespan of the environment tiles would work in many ways. More interactions between elements woudl be really good - and I'd like to see new ones (or even new 'fields' like the time and antimagic ones) for various events, so exploding demons leave curse areas, dead guys and blood create disease, poison puddles float on water but magma evaporates it, etc. The various ground tiles (and the effects they have) could really create more interesting levels and interesting interactions, especially for all the special powers etc.

But I think it'd be neat if some tunnels had regular supports in the wall made of wood that could be accidentally burned down, so...
Old 04-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnakotus View Post
I'd like to see much more persistent environmental stuff, to allow poison leaks to create poison rooms, leaky levels to create real lightning hazards through puddles everywhere, etc.

I imagine simply increasing the lifespan of the environment tiles would work in many ways. More interactions between elements woudl be really good - and I'd like to see new ones (or even new 'fields' like the time and antimagic ones) for various events, so exploding demons leave curse areas, dead guys and blood create disease, poison puddles float on water but magma evaporates it, etc. The various ground tiles (and the effects they have) could really create more interesting levels and interesting interactions, especially for all the special powers etc.

But I think it'd be neat if some tunnels had regular supports in the wall made of wood that could be accidentally burned down, so...
Excellent ideas!
Old 04-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Champion

Back when Shadow changed the environmental tiles so they 'slid' over each other (to prevent 10 water spots on the same square, etc) I figured if the tiles lived for ages they'd 'slide' over each other to cover large areas, which'd be cool.

No idea how easy it'd be to donkey up with a mod, but with your idea of the tiles interacting more with each other and with spells, you could concievably just make them last forever (or hours, essentially the same thing) and encourage players to try to neutralise them with other effects, even down to creating rockfalls to keep a poison from spreading or creating floods or whatever.