Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative 2 > Drox Operative 2
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2020, 09:15 PM
Amateur

Post Good, But Still Slow

My biggest point of feedback is that overall game speed is far too slow. I can feel it's faster than Drox 1, but too many things are still dragging the speed down.

The start of my first playthrough went like this: My first game I started, there were no inhabited planets for miles, I had no contact with any race. I spent what felt like 10 minutes exploring the whole system, I found multiple empty planets, and eventually I found a gate to another star system, and after exploring THAT one for another 5, I eventually found inhabited planets near its center. The battles were mildly fun, but spending this much time without interesting stuff to do (besides random battles) is a huge drag!

I would push you to do a more radical departure from Drox 1 in terms of gamespeed. Some ideas that would help:
1) Movement speed could be ~2x faster than it is now
2) Vision radius (for exploration) should be 2-3x bigger than it is now, so that we don't have to wander over ever square inch of the perimeter to map out a star system. It feels like a 20 minute chore to explore one, right now.
3) We should always start with contact with a race, or at least knowledge of where the nearest race is, so we can use trade as an exploration tool
4) Preferably we would start out knowing at least where the star gates are in our starting system, or a hint as to vaguely which direction they are in.
5) I LOVE the way you can upgrade the size of the ship over time for tons of equippable items, BUT I DISLIKE the way doing so hurts you significantly in terms of speed. Instead of making your ship slow, maybe it makes it harder to have an energy surplus, or something, because it feels too punishing to me
Old 07-12-2020, 01:26 AM
Legend

I think you happened to stumble on a difficult start. I agree that a starting point without any races nearby can be painful. It's really hard to balance the enjoyment of exploration (particularly finding something that's been hiding from you but was right there) with the drudgery of cleaning out the fog of war from empty systems.

It's useful to know that gates can only be along the edges of the system. This means you're doing a lot of circles around maps, which unfortunately isn't that exciting either.

Speed-wise, the game now lets you get to 300 speed, which is very fast (perhaps even too fast to keep up during battles), if you have the right components. If larger ships didn't slow you down, you'd have no reason to ever obtain more or stronger thrusters.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:00 PM
Amateur

Does anyone have a process for exploring systems? Are planets/jump gates found in specific areas? Am I doing the exploration correctly by just fly around randomly in a system hoping to find something?

Andon
Old 08-15-2020, 03:50 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by andon View Post
Does anyone have a process for exploring systems? Are planets/jump gates found in specific areas? Am I doing the exploration correctly by just fly around randomly in a system hoping to find something?

Andon
My memory's a little fuzzy but IIRC you can use diplomacy/trade to gather exploration data and contact with other races. The other way is to fly around the outside of the circle of the star system, gates to other systems are always found there. But other than that, yes, it's a lot of flying around.