Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Champion

How about having the wars between gods be fought by mortals.

I don't know if you've ever read The Ellimist Chronicles(I read almost all the animorphs books as a kid ), but the two strongest entities in the universe wages wars against each other and stuff.

==-- spoiler about the book.
After Crayak sets a trap the Ellimist becomes a sort of non-corporal time manipulating all present entity. Crayak assuming the Ellimist is dead procedes to hunt down and destroy the life forms Ellimist created to seed new worlds in the gallaxy, the Ellimist uses his powers to prevent this, and eventually the two sit down to discuss the situation.
The Ellimist can't do anything to stop Crayak directly, but he can undo what Crayak has done.
Crayak on the other hand can't stop the Ellimist from saving worlds.
Eventually the two realise that if Crayak keeps destroying worlds and the Ellimist keeps undoing it sooner of later the very essence of the universe will tear itself apart and they will both be destroyed, along with everything in the universe.

==-- end spoiler

End result, they agree to play a long game, whoever wins would have free reign over the universe, and the loser has no rights to interfere.
Their games essentially consist of making small changes and pitting races against each other.

That would be a great explanation for why Din, who could destroy his enemies without a second thought chooses not to, instead he must find someone he can convince to do his war for him, and why when a god asks you for help he doesn't provide you with the tools you need.

Or, you could go for the god has limited power and is currently busy fighting a war elsewhere and can't loan you the power to destroy the enemies right now.
Or maybe go for the idea of Din rewarding those who do things on their own.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.lamothe View Post
Din asks you to track down and slay a particular former-mortal who he had brought back for a rehabilitation similar to your own, but the guy disobeyed and ran off.
This would be cool, similar to a renegade.

Quote:
Din asks you to try to turn a particular person away from the selfish path so they don't have to be reincarnated-rehabilitated like you; this would be more of a quest and dialog based thing, maybe a quest chain finding out about the person, helping them, etc; so I guess it could be a bit beyond what you want but I thought I'd mention it.
This would be cool, but kind of hard given the quest/dialog system as it is right now.

Quote:
Din asks you to find a powerful artifact hidden somewhere in the world, perhaps guarded by some far-more-powerful-than-the-surroundings extra-worldly folk. Maybe getting the artifact unleashes said powerful folk upon the town, making the achievement of the special goal put the primary goal (saving the town) at risk. Maybe that group starts from some other part of the map and moves towards the artifact, if they get there first they get it and disappear, only to be a major thorn in later worlds.
This would also be pretty cool. I really like giving the player choices and consequences.

These ideas are basically what I'm thinking of doing with Din. A lot of time he lets you save towns as you see fit, but every once in a while he pops in (or an avatar of his) and gives you special tasks to do. These will probably be worth way more reputation gain than normal, will probably be harder than normal, and may impact the current town positively or even negatively.
Patreon
Old 10-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Expert

Cool, it sounds like you've already thought of most of what came to my mind

I did figure that dialog-heavy stuff wouldn't fit into the play-scope (or engine-scope), since this isn't really set up as a full-out RPG, per se, which lets it focus on the dungeon crawl.

And yes, the key is giving the player interesting and meaningful (and often exceedingly dangerous) choices, pulling in Din and other extra-worldly stuff just expands the toolkit for that.

On that note, do you think it is important to maintain the one overall goal of gaining reputation to convince Din that you've been rehabilitated (I may have misunderstood that a bit)? That could be best for not distracting from the dungeon crawl, but perhaps it could be interesting if there was an alternate (and basically mutually exclusive) path that players could take to get free of Din's control or whatever. Nothing against Din, and I actually don't like games doing the whole "you can be good or evil" thing (since evil is, well, bad), but it seemed worth thinking about.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Well I've thought a little about this stuff, but it's not implemented yet so it's still in flux. So ideas are still good (actually ideas are always good).

Quote:
On that note, do you think it is important to maintain the one overall goal of gaining reputation to convince Din that you've been rehabilitated (I may have misunderstood that a bit)? That could be best for not distracting from the dungeon crawl, but perhaps it could be interesting if there was an alternate (and basically mutually exclusive) path that players could take to get free of Din's control or whatever. Nothing against Din, and I actually don't like games doing the whole "you can be good or evil" thing (since evil is, well, bad), but it seemed worth thinking about.
Right now I'm trying to not overly complicate the reputation stuff. It's a new system and I'm still exploring what just the simple implementation gives us. Having alternate paths would be cool, but might be a bit much at the moment.
Patreon
Old 10-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Expert

Yea, probably best to go with a straightforward approach to the reputation thing this time around, and see how it goes before considering an expanded system for a later game or expansion or such.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Expert

Are there going to be other/competing parties in Din's?
Old 11-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

In general, no there won't be. There might be NPCs here and there like wandering vendors but they won't be competing with you really.
Patreon
Old 11-16-2009, 07:20 AM
Amateur

As for quests, I hope that there will be many more available than in DoP, as I found myself running around doing nothing important in hopes that a new quest would generate.

Although it's probably too late for the input to be of any use, I would be interested in there being different aspects of a player's reputation that doing particular quests provide. That, and a variety of unique sources for those quests.

For example, quests performed for royal/political figures are given by leaders or their vassals and not only provide favor to that organization but give the player "points" to their overall political standing throughout the world as an executor of law or candidate for leadership.

Quests performed for townspeople provides the character with a more traditional heroic reputation that makes him "the people's champion." This could improve relations with townspeople dramatically (if there is such a system) and provide many more options in dealing with them. These could be given by a bulletin board in town.

Quests performed for merchants provide mercantile points, which are rewarded with treasures, discounts, and perhaps business opportunities. Mercantile quests can be found in shops, as you would expect.

Hunting rare monsters perhaps needn't even be a quest -- if you've killed something that seems famous you can report back to someone who will reward you with points for monster hunting and in return grant you enhancements to your abilities or something.

That kind of system seems attractive to me, and is in many ways similar to DoP with more developmental focus on consequences relative to the type of task the player performs. And there should be a wealth of all of those kinds of quests, so we can do the ones we like while ignoring the ones we don't (at the cost of whatever bonus they might provide).

I hated collecting stuff in DoP. But I liked that those quests were there, in case I was headed to the designated area anyway.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Expert

Default collecting stuff

i actually loved collecting stuff in DoP but what i found a bit disapp. was when it said: the town needs 5 so and sos but i could not gather more than that.

what i mean to say is: why not add an econom. aspect: you could be able to buy up all the healing potions in town and sell your own at a higher price. that should make NPCs and covenants angry. sell them under price and make a lot of friends (but vendors start hating you and hide stuff) you sell your stock to them. they start to like you and offer special items.

the same with wandering vendors: i mean, these guys sometimes stand in the middle of a huge pile of dropped stuff but they don't collect them?
they should show up in town once in a while and make a sale, so other vendors have to react.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:39 AM
Expert

Default quests about ... ME!

so, how about personalized quests like:

i find this great item but it is broken.
now i need certain material, so the weaponsmith can repair it. but to gather that stuff i need to find xyz in a remote area that is too high - yet!
this makes me gain power, so i can finally enter this region, get my stuff, go back and get my great item. this way you can randomly link quests but they all serve a higher goal.

or something along these lines:
a quest sends me out to kill 15 creatures of one kind. but now they hate me and start to hunt me, attack me, whenever they see me. (longer pull range, perhaps?)