Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Expert

I've gone for pure DPS with my main character - Gladiator/assassin. ANd pretty much I run into crowds of mobs and spam my AEO spells which annihilate everything around me usually. For the boss monsters, or tough elites and uniques I use my single target skills when there's no one else around.

I had a great time on a Trickster/hunter combo - with a fire damage bow I could hide out of sight of the monsters, shoot a bunch of barrels and the resulting inferno would usually destroy everything in the room. All without blowing my cover.

I want to experiment with a fire mage combo, but I'm not sure what to link it with just yet.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Champion

Lots of great ideas in all of these posts, I've enjoyed reading them all.

I'm still not sure what I want to do. I've made at least 7 characters now and that's always the most difficult thing for me; sticking to ONE character and progressing.

I still have a few combos to try but I'm thinking it's probably going to be weaponsmaster / X because I love the versatility of using almost all weapons I find. Now, to find a good suitable side-class to match my playstyle, that's the hard part, beacuse I'm still trying to figure out what my playstyle is.

Here's what I know:
- I usually like to snipe and creep around, but in this game I enjoy getting right in their faces
- I woud like some decent defensive measures as well as some AOE spells for crowds
- I don't want to be paper thin / glass cannon

Looks like I have some experimenting to do!

Edit:

Defender / Necromancer might be worth looking into. This opens up all armor types (plate needing skill points though) as well as one handed staves, maces, swords and axes. Those elements coupled with the necromancer's powerful summoning abilities and AOE (bone shatter / blight). Could be interesting!

Last edited by Jorlen : 04-21-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
Lots of great ideas in all of these posts, I've enjoyed reading them all.

I'm still not sure what I want to do. I've made at least 7 characters now and that's always the most difficult thing for me; sticking to ONE character and progressing.

I still have a few combos to try but I'm thinking it's probably going to be weaponsmaster / X because I love the versatility of using almost all weapons I find. Now, to find a good suitable side-class to match my playstyle, that's the hard part, beacuse I'm still trying to figure out what my playstyle is.

Here's what I know:
- I usually like to snipe and creep around, but in this game I enjoy getting right in their faces
- I woud like some decent defensive measures as well as some AOE spells for crowds

I think the fire wizard has some AOEs, but I haven't tried, so correct me if I'm wrong, and Defender will give you all the defence you need. That or you might go with druid which will give you stone skin.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Amateur

Jorlen,

The Defender/Necro does sound fun. Very much a shadow knight or death knight kinda build.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
- I would like some decent defensive measures as well as some AOE spells for crowds

My character right now is a Weaponmaster/Trickster. The Weaponmaster lets me use most armor (except plate). The Trickster gives me stealth and shuriken (a distance weapon. something I missed as a straight warrior). I put one point into the Trickster's smoke cloud (thanks to udm for the tip) so if I get surrounded, I hit the smoke cloud, go to stealth mode and sneak out of the area. My favorite trick is to sneak up behind somebody and bash him with the Weaponsmaster's Perfect Strike; I'm currently wielding an axe. If I one-hit kill them I don't usually lose my stealth.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Expert

I had only tried pure classes so far but really wanted to create a "Force of One" type character that nothing could stop from the get go.

So I tried Cadfan's suggestion of a Weaponmaster/Fire Mage build and look out! I'm up to level 10 today with him and haven't had to even use a potion yet lol. I just pumped up the Fire Shield and Flame Blade skills and he really has been unstoppable so far.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Elite

Be careful with those AOE skills. Read the cave-ins thread. The AOE skills appear to trigger them more frequently. But making tradeoffs like that is what makes the game so much fun.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Champion

Weaponsmaster / Firemage sounds like tons of fun, I'll have to add that to the list of combos I have to try.

Well, last night I finally managed to stick to a build long enough to finish a town! It must have been my 10th character heh. I used Defender / Necromancer and it was quite enjoyable.

I didn't really like summons too much, they died too often and resurrecting them used up 75% of my mana, so I imagine I have to invest in Lich and the other skills to strengthen summons and make them more durable. I did however really like shadow bolt and the corpse bomb (forgot what it's called).
Old 04-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Amateur

Well... if you don't have a lot of time and want to play a nice mage type.

Sorcerer + Healer

Using Thunderbolt, Prayer, Greater Heal.

Only need healing and mana potions for emergencies... and the thunderbolt even stuns bosses.

Healer also has a magic damage bolt and fire damage AOE -- to keep damage in the 'magic' family in case something has a lot of lightning resistenance. (Though I've yet to run into something that doesn't stun.)

----

I've also tried

Weaponmaster/Assassin but that's just absolutely ridiculous because of the passive skills.

Assassin gets -- Armor Pierce, +ToHit, +CriticalStrike
Weaponmaster gets -- choice of weaponmastery...

Plus their bonus support each other -- each gets higher ToHit for dex and more damage for Strength, WM gets Bonus Mana for SuccessHit, Assassasin gets Bonus Mana for Crit and Kill.

Thus far, these two seem to be the most complementary classes towards the same purpose -- Making Mincemeat!

Last edited by elsol69 : 04-22-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsol69 View Post
Well... if you don't have a lot of time and want to play a nice mage type.

Sorcerer + Healer
I'm going to try this combo out tonight. I really had fun with a weaponsmaster/ necromancer last night, but I found myself dying fairly easily in the later levels even though I was wearing chain armor and pumping up vitality. A healer / nuker combo sounds like fun!