Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Demon War BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Champion

Default Multiplayer Issues

Hey. My brother just bought Din's Curse + Demon War and we are currently trying to play online with no luck. We are both running 1.019, no mods. When trying to connect to each other's servers, a Din's Curse Demon War Loading screen appears as opposed to the usual screen that shows up when waiting to join a server. During one attempt to join his server, one of my different characters towns loaded in single player after several minutes, quite randomly. Any ideas how to fix this? I have successfully played multiplayer on 1.019, just not this time.
We are also both on Mac's, and I do not believe a firewall is the cause of the problems on either end.

Apologize for the poorly organized post, but am continuing to add things as they come up. Just opened up Din's Curse and after a decent wait, it went straight to one of my characters towns before any of the menus. Seems to be related to the issue above, as I continue to attempt connect to my brother's server.

Brief Summary: When I host a game, my brother is able to see it, but when attempting to connect a different-than-usual loading screen appears ultimately leading to a message saying that the game couldn't be found or has disconnected, which is definitely not the case. Same applies when he hosts and I attempt to join. I feel like I've seen this before, but the problem was that I had a mod installed that I'm guessing the host did not have. When the server shows up, it says 0/4 players, which I also find to be odd. Any thoughts on how to get past this would be much appreciated from anyone who has had similar issues or has better knowledge than myself concerning the matter. Thanks!

Last edited by spacehog : 02-05-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:29 AM
Champion

Is there a way to revert to an older patch? (And if so can someone post a link?) I highly doubt that the patch is the problem, but I'd like to rule it out. Might a slower internet connection lead to these kinds of problems? Would it help to tinker with the Multiplayer Options? I'll keep experimenting and report any progress I make in case someone else experiences something similar in the future.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Well you can try to revert to an older patch. Patch wise you can always do it, but if the save format has changed your characters would cause issues.

I almost always keep old patches up and they are pretty consistently named. You would just need to highlight the path of the current patch, type that in, and change the number to which ever patch you want to download.
Patreon
Old 02-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Champion

Excellent. Thanks for the tip. Next time my brother and I have a spare minute I will see if that helps at all. We are both using broadband cable internet, but I get the feeling that the problem may be that his connection is a little too slow.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Champion

My brother and I have tried to connect to each other's games on 5-6 occasions and still haven't had any luck.

We have tried using different patches which haven't changed anything, as suspected.
We have ensured that there aren't any firewalls getting in the way.
We have done speed tests to make sure that both of our internet connections are decently fast, and they are.
We have tried connecting directly to each other's worlds with the IP address.

Anyone have other suggestions for things to try? It took me months to convince my brother to buy Din's Curse and I'll be damned if I won't ever get it to work!

As a side note, twice while trying to connect to his world, after creating a new character specifically for the purpose, one of my higher level characters would load up in a single-player world. I find this to be quite odd and am curious if it sheds any light into our difficulties connecting.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Champion

Forgive me if it has already been suggested, but try the low bandwidth option in the options screen (under multiplayer section I think). This was night and day for me and my bro to play online.

Also make sure you guys aren't running any mods, or running the same mods.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Champion

Thanks for the tip, Jorlen. I'll be sure to try that next time. Neither of us are using any mods.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure what could be causing your issues. The low bandwidth is a good suggestion. You could also decrease the rate numbers in the multiplayer options to see if that would help.
Patreon
Old 02-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Legend

Are your computers both fast enough? I can only host games on my wife's computer (which is faster than mine but has a worse graphics card) because mine chokes on the multiplayer processing.

If you want to get technical about it, you can download Wireshark to view what's going on behind the scenes.

Wireshark is relatively easy to use (though it is technical). You 'attach' it to your wireless connection and start recording, and you can filter packets by packet type and IP address. Run DC in a window, start a gaming session, and check that you're getting consistent packets from your brother's IP without any issues. He can do the same for your IP. If you see any lost packets (which will be highlighted) that could be the source of the problem.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:19 AM
Champion

I sincerely appreciate the suggestions. I'll be sure to try them all next time we get the chance and hope for the best. Din's Curse multiplayer is fantastic.