Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2011, 02:27 AM
Amateur

Default Save Game slots.

Is there any way that we can have more save game slots instead of just the one, whereby we can try out different characters without losing the current game, by creating another character. Seems a bit strange to only allow one save game at a time.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Elite

You can create and save as many characters as you'd like. Instead of clicking "resume game" on the main menu screen, simply click "play, "make a new character, and begin playing him in a new town. If you want to save that character and go back to the first one you created, simply save and exit back out to the main screen, click "play" again (instead of resume game) and you can select any of the characters you have created.

Every character you create is tied to the unique town he is in, but you can create and save as many characters as you'd like.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Champion

I believe the OP is referring to a system like the oned used in Sacred. I personally would hate that, but that would be a matter of taste. The system used in DC is by design (I must assume), to facilitate a feeling of continuity and to make sure abuse is not possible (no reloads after a death, no reloads if the reward chest doesn't drop what you wanted, etc.).

Then again I could be completely wrong.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Expert

Personally I love how the DC save system works. I must admit that I an inveterate abuser of reloading. I'm sure I've spent many hours in other games quitting and reloading when the random treasure drops aren't to my liking. I love the fact the DC doesn't permit this, in effect freeing me of this bad habit!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I'm not a fan of typical save/load systems. What usually happens to me is I quick save 100 times in the first hour which is really distracting. Then I finally get sucked into the game and forget for the next hour to save at all and that's when I die. Then I get to repeat an hour of the game.
Patreon
Old 04-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Elite

I'll just add a typical fanboy comment here to and say that I think that the savegame system in DC is just about the best I've ever seen in an RPG. Most of the time I just want to continue in from where I left off the last time I played but for when I don't, the abillity to create as many characters as I want is awesome. Autosave has saved me form hours of frustration in power blackouts at least 3 times (I'm a lazy saver too )
Old 04-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Legend

I also think the save game system in DC is perfect for the game. The fact that you can recover from death means that you don't need several slots per character. For HC characters, it prevents you from doing exactly what Shadow mentioned (oversaving and then forgetting to save) and raises the tension (saving generally kills tension).
Old 04-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castruccio View Post
You can create and save as many characters as you'd like. Instead of clicking "resume game" on the main menu screen, simply click "play, "make a new character, and begin playing him in a new town. If you want to save that character and go back to the first one you created, simply save and exit back out to the main screen, click "play" again (instead of resume game) and you can select any of the characters you have created.

Every character you create is tied to the unique town he is in, but you can create and save as many characters as you'd like.
This is what I was referring to not the fact that I wanted to save/load games if the quest reward wasn't good enough, but the need to try the different characters to see which one I prefer to use.