Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > News/Blog comments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Elite

And again I would reiterate that perceived "balance" issues are really only a problem in a competitive PvP environment.

In a SP or co-op environment, some skills being perceived to be more useful than others and some being perceived to be weak or useless is not such an issue at all. In fact I believe that it actually enhances the gameplay by providing some unique opportunities to play "challenge" characters or classes. I say again, not all skills or hybrid combinations should be equally viable or playable!

I've never really understood the continuous and fanatical calls to "balance" the skills and classes in Din's Curse, but certainly it's a game that everyone enjoys for different reasons. Each to their own.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:30 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruztee View Post
And again I would reiterate that perceived "balance" issues are really only a problem in a competitive PvP environment.
It's true that balance is more important in a PvP environment. However, DC and DoP could easily become PvP envinronments through a single patch. There already is a lot of demand for this. Even without PvP, though, there's a strong need for balance.

Quote:
In a SP or co-op environment, some skills being perceived to be more useful than others and some being perceived to be weak or useless is not such an issue at all. In fact I believe that it actually enhances the gameplay by providing some unique opportunities to play "challenge" characters or classes. I say again, not all skills or hybrid combinations should be equally viable or playable!
You've explained how weak classes can act like an extra difficulty level, but not how useless skills are a good gameplay mechanic. I agree that not all skills should be equally useful to all characters, but they should be useful to *some* character. Otherwise why have those skills at all? In the same way, not all class combinations need to be equally viable, but a class should be fairly viable or nobody will pick it. Opening up all classes to the hybrid class means that all classes compete with each other.

In essence, balance means giving choices to players and rewarding skill, as opposed to luck or foreknowledge of the 'correct' skill choices. Without balance, players with experience or luck can turn the game into a cakewalk by picking the OP classes and the few skills that work. The remaining players hit a wall no matter how skilled they are, because they happened to pick the wrong class or because they focused on the wrong skills. Balance means having the gameplay mechanics operate well at all levels while maintaining a good level of challenge.

I agree that certain classes could serve as extra difficulty levels, but if so that must be a conscious design choice and the player should be told about it. Otherwise players will innocently try those classes and fail repeatedly, get frustrated, and stop playing.

The reason balance isn't a major issue with DoP is that you have the 2nd character to cover for you, and the reason it isn't an obvious issue with DC is that the problems don't appear fully until level 30 or so. And most of the serious balance issues with DC are already resolved via patches.

Last edited by Bluddy : 04-17-2011 at 09:41 AM.