Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2012, 02:18 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthonic View Post
*The equipment slot system is holding the game back. It's obtuse as hell and adds another layer of unnecessary complexity that just serves to confuse.
Hmmm, I get what you're saying, but I only semi-agree. The part I agree on is that there are a lot of necessary components (shields, engines, etc) and they should probably have their own slot, but I do like the heavy/medium/light system. It reminds me a bit of EVE, and I really like how equipment worked there. I'd rather see the current system tweaked to add some more "real" flexibility than replace the system completely. Maybe different races/ships could have different slot loadouts?
Old 06-16-2012, 03:57 AM
Amateur

One of the first things I did early on was put in a second engine. Changing to a SR2-style system would remove this option. What if I want to run with multiple armour modules and no shields, or vice versa? Or no primary weapon and a bunch of EMP? I think allowing what some may consider gimmicky builds is preferable to restricting everyone to a "one of everything" approach, and quite like the way the system currently works.

I do agree that it is not that easy to see your load-out at a glance (maybe easier when more familiar with all the icons), but I think improving the way the information is presented is better than totally changing the system.

Maybe something like enhanced tooltips on the character screen could help; when mousing over a stat it lists all modules that contribute to that stat in the tooltip, and highlights those modules in the inventory if it is also open.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Elite

Very broadly, I agree with pretty much of all of cthonic's gripes.

The false choices that the item system is giving does add a ton of unnecessary complexity to item management. I'm not a fan at all. I'd much rather see dedicated slots for essential equipment. I've only levelled to 10 with my current character, and appreciate that the later ship models will undoubtably offer more choice than the earlier ones, but I've already put about 3 hours into the game, and I'm not having a lot of fun.

The lawnmowing across massive sectors to find elusive bosses or research items is just dreary. The rep grind at the end of a game is unbearably long and unsatisfying. It's almost as if the game's outcome is decided in the first half hour, and the next two hours are spent doing repetitive errands to grind out the win.

I'm enjoying Drox far less than Din's at the same stage of beta.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
What's the chance they do/don't? I'm up to eight rounds now and they've all started in the same initial zone with one planet each.
It really depends on the size of the sector and how many races are in it. It's fairly easy to get multiple races in the same sector if it is small with lots of races, but most of the it isn't all of the races.
Patreon
Old 06-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Expert

I do agree with the fact that the game does seem to slow down if you have, say, two friendly factions left. The last sector I played I had Dryad and Humans left, and the Dryad were so friendly they just kept giving me money and naturally became Allies... Problem is they also became allies with Humans naturally. So I couldn't really get them to fight each other. I spent a very very long time trying to grind up Human reputation but it really took way too long.

As for the item system, I am enjoying it a lot. It has quite a bit of flexibility, and I didn't consider my ship a gimmick build and I haven't used any armor yet.

Besides, as a beta you can't really expect a full redesign of a major system like that IMO.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Champion

Quote:
What's the chance they do/don't? I'm up to eight rounds now and they've all started in the same initial zone with one planet each.
I can't tell you the numbers for do/don't chances, but in all of the worlds I've created, there have only been 1-3 races in the initial zone. There are some races I don't discover until 30+ minutes in the world and a great deal of exploring different sectors. (Unless I trade knowledge about races with known races.)
Old 06-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
You might even want to have a game counter other than relation towards you -- Drox dependency. The more races feel they need you, the more successful you are. A race might hate you, but they'll still be civil towards you because they'll feel that without the Drox they are doomed. The victory condition would then be to make all races feel dependent on you beyond a certain amount, and the best way to lose is to let one race take over the whole sector.
I actually really like the Drox Dependency idea. Some random ideas on how it could work:

Relations between the player and other races are typically calculated between whichever is higher: Relationship or Drox Dependency. This means that they can hate you, but will still let you trade if they're too dependent on you. You could also do an "Effective Relation", calculation, wherein it takes the average of the two for how they treat you: So if they like you but don't have much Dependency, they'll still treat you kind of badly.

As for how to gain Dependency, the obvious option is to do missions: Every time you complete a mission, they get a bit more Dependency. Giving away Technology and Planet info and the like would also raise Dependency instead of relations: Basically, donations give Dependency, trades give Relations. Keeping up with the idea of "it measures how much they think they need you", though, it also goes down at a faster speed than normal relations, perhaps with the race power level increasing the speed of the degradation. And of course, whenever they manage something significant (founding a colony, dealing with unrest, successful espionage, destroying a major enemy, etc.) without your help, their Dependency takes an immediate hit: They know for a fact that they don't need you! Look at what they just did!

The idea here is that Dependency rises easily, but also falls relatively easily on its own, while relations with you have smaller gains and losses, resulting in it being largely stable until you start antagonising them.

That all being said... I think it's a bit too late in development to add a new mechanic. Still, an idea for the inevitable expansion!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Elite

A lot of good points here, but I like light/medium/heavy slots. For a chunk of the early game I had no weapons in my Heavy slots and three EMPs in Medium.

I'd rather see the current equipment improved than turned into something pretty much like other games.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Elite

Quote:
Make a paper doll (paper spaceship?) system. See Space Rangers 2: You always have a slot for an engine, shield, armor, generator, computer (well, scanner in SR2's case) and radar. Then, depending on your hull (Command, in Drox's case), you get a varying number of weapon and accessory (equivalent to Light) slots.

Only the appropriate item can be equipped in the appropriate slot. That's crucial. The player should immediately see they're missing a basic component, instead of staring at the neon wall of items in their inventory and then trying to figure out where they put the new gun they found.
As others have said, I find it a good feature that I can use erm, non traditional loadouts. Losing this flexibility would be a mistake IMO. Therefore, maybe there is some compromise... Instead of a paper doll, there could be a summary display which breaks down your components into power, offense, defense, engines and computers (or similar). This would be in addition t othe actual configuration panel. Then you could see at a glance if you were weak in any particular area and if is was not intentional, do something about it. This suggestion is a little flawed as well though, as a lot of components provide boosts across multiple segments. Its also going to chew up UI space.

Last edited by ShaggyMoose : 06-16-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Elite

I wonder if planets should have lower HP, but get a defensive bonus for adjacent ships?

I'll take out the ships guarding a planet but then have to just sit there for a while.