Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Expert

Default Planets - too squishy

Generally finding that planets have too little structure, and that they should have shields with a reasonable recharge rate at some point (linked perhaps to their level of "development").

What say y'all?
Old 12-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Elite

I agree that planets are too easy to blow up. Once my ships start venturing in the level 100+ sectors, they blow up planets accidentally - an enemy ship dies, and my lasers chew through the planet's hit points before I can release the mouse button. I have started drawing defenders away from the planets when I want to cull some ships but leave the planet around. (Nothing keeps two races friendly to each other like a common enemy)

I don't like the idea of planets having shields by default though, and would prefer to have 'planetary shield' stations instead. Basically, as long as the station is around, NO damage gets through to the planet. None. Not from tornadoes throwing themselves at the defenders, not from wrecker mines, and not from schism bombs. And the 'planetary shield' stations could be pretty bad ass themselves - with their own shields, armor and weapons. And once they are in the game, only one planet per race would start with such a station, the rest would have to be build them from scratch.

As things are right now, systems containing tornadoes, arcanths, wreckers, and schisms are pretty much guaranteed to become depopulated or TOL infested. The latter is not always a bad thing, but I would not mind having to work for it a bit more.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:04 AM
Champion

Have to agree. Have seen planets with little structure left and then maybe an hour or two later, if that planet is still around same amount left or less. Would be nice to see a repair/recharge rate for planets. Maybe different repair rates based on type of planet, race, amount of resources?

Really hurts when you have to keep a race alive and it's only a few hits away from destruction.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Do the planets just get weaker and weaker as you go to higher and higher level systems/sectors?
Patreon
Old 12-20-2013, 11:59 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Do the planets just get weaker and weaker as you go to higher and higher level systems/sectors?
It might just be that as the level goes up, the weapons and damage ships do increases far quicker than the defensive abilities of planets.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:54 AM
Elite

That's exactly it, Yindo.

The planets' health seems to increase linearly, with a jump every 25 sector levels.

The weapons themselves also increase linearly, but then, the chips you can mount on them increase linearly (up to 10x damage), the damage from Tactical increases linearly (up to 8x for Ultimate weapon and Barbarians), the weapon damage boosters increase linearly (up to nearly 3x per booster) and finally the weapon speed boosters increase linearly (up to the point the weapons are limited by how often the game polls the mouse)

Which is why I have ships that can kill a 150000 hit points enemy ship (not uncommon for bosses at levels 100+) without too much trouble. The thing is, planets do not get up to 150000 hit points.

I do not think that there is a magic bullet fix. The ideal fix would be a combination of higher planet hit points, less damage when the planet has defenders, lower chance to kill the last few inhabitants (how do you laser a few people hiding in a cave when the planet defenders are shooting at you from higher orbit?)

And throw in better regeneration at low population levels, as long as there are no negative conditions like plagues and unrest.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:17 AM
Champion

Not really related but a tip on defending a race with just one planet you are allied with. Request a beacon and set it by the planet, that will bring out a few more ships that will stay in that area, hopefully add a bit more fodder for enemies that go near.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:35 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yindo View Post
Not really related but a tip on defending a race with just one planet you are allied with. Request a beacon and set it by the planet, that will bring out a few more ships that will stay in that area, hopefully add a bit more fodder for enemies that go near.
I haven't used beacons very much but this seems like a good use for them. Maybe I should try it on those planet colonization missions where you have to defend the newly colonized planet until it can start producing ships.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:51 AM
Expert

Another option would be to have planet specific weapons, like in Sins of a Solar Empire. Maybe make Bombs the only weapon type that can damage a planet..? That would make them somewhat more useful
Old 03-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Amateur

This absolutely needs a fix. I just babysat a planet for a race I wanted to keep around with 1 structure left. I sat there for 20 minutes and it enver gained structure points even though the planet was clear of all negative effects and the race was prospering and was the strongest in the sector (even with one planet).

Is there a mod that fixes this?