Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > News/Blog comments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Default Indie Game Magazine interview

We have a new interview over on Indie Game Magazine. This interview has topics about Din's Curse, Demon War, the future of Soldak, and indie developers in general.
Patreon
Old 04-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Legend

Interesting. After reading that article it made me think about what would soldak do next in the area of rpgs. Depths of Peril-Single player mmo action rpg, Kivis Underworld-Casual arpg with old school action rpg premise, Dins Curse and Expansion-Extremely fast paced action rpg/roguelike with excellent and unique class system.

The only real way to compete with all those would be to do something completely different from the above mentioned. One thing is for sure, youve got plenty of options.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Expert

My suggestion at fan day was to do a train simulator. Where, you know, you just go on the tracks. I'm not sure why Stephan didn't think it was a good idea.

Actually, in fairness, he said if he made a train sim, it would be like Grand Theft Amtrak. Which actually would be cool in a spaghetti western train chase kind of way.

I can see it now - a game called "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Train"

Old 04-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Legend

I'd say doing a turnbased roleplaying game would be cool, but eschalon already has that nailed
Old 04-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
I'd say doing a turnbased roleplaying game would be cool, but eschalon already has that nailed
Well, not really, in my opinion anyway. Eschalon could learn a thing or two when it comes to battle/interface mechanics. My main reason to skip it.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure if Soldak ever does a turn based RPG it will have a party which would make it pretty different than the Eschalon games.
Patreon
Old 04-16-2011, 02:02 AM
Legend

I dont know. Eschalon is a great game, but...something about character/npc interaction in a game as a whole is what i like. Depths of Peril had that interaction nailed down. You get a recruit, a covenant, you can raid. There are tactics. You cant just act like a tough guy.

Depths of Peril 2 would be awesome if it had a lot of dins qualities. More interactions, classes (but no hybrids), and other general improvements. I think that would be awesome. You'd have 3 more classes-Demon hunter, Conjurer, Ranger. The only one that would need major tweaking would be the conjurer due to mass summons mixed with sentries

I like kivis story the best and the gameplay is easy, I like dins gameplay, urgency and class system although sometimes a bit too fast, Depths of peril captures both on a relatively equal scale. My horrible problem with dins is that i am a hidden powergamer and when opportunities like dins come up or other games, i cant but freak out. Depths of peril gives me the class however and says thats it and i make it the way i like to play. I just hope that depths of peril doesnt get forgotten because it really is a great game, idea and world.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Legend

I think there's great potential in a party based RPG with randomized content at different points, like some towns and dungeons will be completely random each time. Imagine DC with each town being a real physical entity on a map. Each one would have some scripted content and some random content. The same would apply to the dungeons, and to random encounters while traveling. The rest of the game would be scripted.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post

Depths of Peril 2 would be awesome if it had a lot of dins qualities. More interactions, classes (but no hybrids), and other general improvements.
While I also can't wait for Steven to get around to Depths of Peril 2, I do hope the hybrid system is here to stay in all future games. I really love making my own characters and combining skills is interesting ways. I don't particularly like it when I'm forced to use the usual classes that have been part of RPGs since the 70s.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreb View Post
While I also can't wait for Steven to get around to Depths of Peril 2, I do hope the hybrid system is here to stay in all future games. I really love making my own characters and combining skills is interesting ways. I don't particularly like it when I'm forced to use the usual classes that have been part of RPGs since the 70s.
The hybrid system creates a lot of balance issues. DoP was actually a more balanced game than DC because it had sharp delineations between the classes. Aside from the fact that non-scaling skills didn't increase in damage appropriately, and that the armor/resistance formulas weren't as good as DC's, everything else fit together quite well.

That doesn't mean the hybrid system shouldn't be attempted again. It just means that it requires a lot more testing and tweaking.