Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Other > Linux
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2020, 08:13 AM
Amateur

Default 2020 Linux players here?

It seems to have been a while since there's been much activity here. I'm curious how many Linux users are playing Soldak games (especially Drox Operative 2) this year.

So who among the rare elite are out there?
Old 08-27-2020, 07:40 PM
Elite

I've been experimenting with Linux - I converted an old PC to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu, and use that as a learning tool. I have Din's Curse running under Wine.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:56 PM
Amateur

Good to hear! I dabbled for a while, dual-booting with several distros over the years. I've been Linux-only since shortly after Windows 8 came out.

I'm curious why you have Din's Curse running with WINE, though. I thought it runs natively on Linux. Did you install it via Steam?
Old 08-28-2020, 01:02 AM
Elite

I bought direct from Soldak and had an email receipt, but some years later the email provider I was using at the time pulled the plug on the domain without any notice, so I can't access my receipt and can't get the Linux version without buying it again. I'm not sure I'm ever going to fully commit to Linux anyway, but I do enjoy fooling around with it.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:37 PM
Legend

In 99% of cases, you'll get better performance from Wine than from native Linux game releases. This is because most companies don't know how to program for Linux (the same applies to Macs). The exceptions are when using large game engines like Unreal and Unity, which do proper porting themselves and have the know-how to do it.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:54 AM
Amateur

I must admit, I found that to be exceptionally true for ARK. Missing textures, absurd bugs... They clearly all but abandoned their Linux version. Ran it with Proton, and things looked nice again, and it ran better in most cases.

That said, I've found Drox Operative runs great on Linux. None of the neglect I've experienced with other games. The only real issue I have is the way it starts up on my left monitor every time I start it. I think this happened with a triple monitor config, and it has happened every time on a dual monitor config. Easy fix though. Quickly shift+super+right arrow, and it's on the center/right monitor.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:16 PM
Legend

Drox 1 and 2 have very low requirements, so even if they're less efficient on Linux, you won't feel it. A better comparison is using Din's Legacy and comparing the native version to a Proton one.