Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2011, 06:58 AM
Amateur

Default Priest woes

This is for original game, I don't have expansion yet (btw where to read about changes?)

After spending some time with various hybrids/pure's and making about five 15+ lvl I decided to make a pure caster priest.

Surprisingly, it went very good, I am now 26 lvl, can run into totally mobbed room and outheal all incoming damage, barring simultaneous tiny boss in pack, chainstun + falling rocks.

My biggest concern is my damage. I have 2 spells from healer tree, 2 from shammy tree. After trying them all i stopped at shammys fireball like spell. It's fast, AOE, respectable damage. I hate healer aoe because it's has huge cd for daily fighting, and his lighting is whooping 2 attack speed.

And now I just do ~40 dmg at 1.1(1.3? have no game on that comp) speed with 100y radius.
It's a joke, really? I mean cmon, my pure warrior did that at ~13 level.

When I look at 100 lvl character sheets and see 1.5k dps i want to cringe. It's absolutely impossible to have that numbers with priest. I have one spell, no mastery, just walking meatshield.

And playing melee priest is out of question with rubbish 0.1 aptitude for strength.

So, it's basically means pure priest is not that cool for high level play?

Last edited by gogis : 05-10-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Elite

I'm not very good with power builds. I kind of like to experiment with weird and wacky hardcore hybrids that rarely make it past lvl20. Forum members like DeathKnight1728 and Bluddy are much more knowledgable about which skills are the best to use for pure damage output and such. I'm sure that someone will be able to help you with that part of your question.

As for info on Demon War:

**Features**
-Play the Demon Hunter class (now 196 total class combinations)
-Fight many new demons (3 new species, 8 new types, 40 new variants)
-Solve tons of new quests
-Help the NPCs as they interact much more with the world and each other
-Experience many more world modifiers
-Explore new environments
-Interact with the world in new ways
-Survive the Demon War
-Basically experience a lot more of what makes Din's Curse incredibly unique

You best bet is to just buy it. It's only $10, adds a bazillion new features, will make you a cooler person and (this part is actually true) Soldak offers a 30 day money back guarantee so you can be sure that you'll be completely satisfied!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Legend

The priest is one of those builds that really doesn't do well as a caster. As a pure priest, your main option is to rely on paladin skills and supplement them with healing and some shaman buffs.

If you do want to use the priest's spells, you need to pair him up with a mage who has the mastery for the spell you want to use. The spells in the game rely on a mastery to get their damage up. Holy strike is a lightning spell, so you need the conjurer's lightning mastery. Holy fire and life burn are fire spells, so they need the fire mage's fire mastery. Of course, once you have a mage, you might as well use their spells instead...

Your other alternative is to use my balance mod, which makes each spell stand on its own. In fact, this issue was the exact reason why I started the mod. As you noted, this issue doesn't appear until you've hit the mid-20s.

Last edited by Bluddy : 05-10-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
The priest is one of those builds that really doesn't do well as a caster. As a pure priest, your main option is to rely on paladin skills and supplement them with healing and some shaman buffs.

If you do want to use the priest's spells, you need to pair him up with a mage who has the mastery for the spell you want to use. The spells in the game rely on a mastery to get their damage up. Holy strike is a lightning spell, so you need the conjurer's lightning mastery. Holy fire and life burn are fire spells, so they need the fire mage's fire mastery. Of course, once you have a mage, you might as well use their spells instead...

Your other alternative is to use my balance mod, which makes each spell stand on its own. In fact, this issue was the exact reason why I started the mod. As you noted, this issue doesn't appear until you've hit the mid-20s.
On paladin hand-to-hand note - it's going to be really crappy, I tested it. Priest have incredibly bad Attack/Damage modifier from stats. Have one on shelf, he just doesnt do damage, comparable to warrior. Thats why I actually started this caster guy.

Actually, hybrid with Arms/Gladiator fare much better damage wise. Former is two-handed only, latter can use shield. But then you losing incredibly usefull Hardiness, which is a shame. Ah choices!

Still, I don't see any viable, I mean really viable build for late game priest, who can share experience? I just don't want to spend ages to level him high enough and realise that its all in vain

Funny note: I just killed Fire elemental boss with +500% fire resistance. It's took like bajilion single digit hits It's not like he can hurt me much either (he was same level as me)

edit: bah, I totally forgot shammy dps buffs, for some reason I found em lackluster. Again, I never levelled melee priest over 20, need insights.

Last edited by gogis : 05-10-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Legend

Regarding the expansion, it's really worth it.

You get a town that's MUCH more dynamic. NPCs who have more quests, who can be happy or sad or turn against the town. You get some really interesting new classes. There are even some small touches, like ice thawing into water pools.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Elite

I posted something like this a while ago. My pure Priest had a tough time at exactly the same time (mid-20s) for the same reason: not enough DPS, and he was getting stunned enough that I couldn't use healing spells.

I'm thinking of cases where he was surrounded by a mob, and the teleport stone was already used. Can't kill the mob fast enough. And while using healing spells, no damage output, so often the Priest was just treading water compared to damage taken (until the inevitable stun).
Old 05-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Champion

Sounds like it would be a cool build for multiplayer. I have a couple mid 20s characters myself if you want to team up some time. Fire mage/demonologist and hunter/trickster.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:29 AM
Legend

There is some shed of light to be shed on the priest class. With the shaman, you get the blessing hardiness and precision. What would seem to be an ideal way to look at the class is to go with hardiness. However, the priest already gets the rogues .5 bonus to health. And to top that, they can wield shields. So to combat that, you need offense.

If you want to survive, offense is how you can start. Hardiness is good, dont get me wrong, but the priest is almost too defensive.

I would go with precision blessing because if you put a regular amount of points, you will not only hit, but have more criticals than warriors.

With a regular priest that fights and casts spells, this is how i setup-

-1 strength, 2 dex, 1 vitality and 1 spirit per each level. The reason i dont use as much spirit is because the priest is already part fighter, so he needs to be treated that way-as a hybrid.

-You can go with either smite or zeal for melee attacks, either is good, but smite i recommend as it deals overlapping damage. Either of these will be one of your main attacks. Mace mastery is a nice passive to be taken too.

-For spells, dont forget the regeneration and bravery auras. I would choose whichever fits your style. Regeneration is a lifesaver sometimes, but bravery can take your defense to almost the point where nothing can hit you. Its all up to you. Either way, one of these should be tagged regularly while in a dungeon.

-For the 3rd, choose a blessing of precision as i said above.

-For 4th, there are two things you need to do, either choose to go all out with aoe with the fire attack that is an aoe, or use the fire attack for groups and something else like lightning or holy symbol to kill bigtime.

Thats just how i would set it up to make a priest that can not only kill but adapt in different conditions.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:16 AM
Amateur

Thanks for all advice. I will start to pump str/dex now in preparation to switching into melee build for later levels. I liek pumped everything into spirit to that point

Dont get me wrong, I actually have zero problems with caster now, i am incredibly robust and do enough damage to kill things in a respectable time it's just my future progression is a concern.

I will use shammy AOE to wither groups and spam smite for general fighting.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:30 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogis View Post
Thanks for all advice. I will start to pump str/dex now in preparation to switching into melee build for later levels. I liek pumped everything into spirit to that point

Dont get me wrong, I actually have zero problems with caster now, i am incredibly robust and do enough damage to kill things in a respectable time it's just my future progression is a concern.

I will use shammy AOE to wither groups and spam smite for general fighting.
I may have to correct what I said, specifically regarding AOE attacks. Because AOE attacks target many foes at once, they need to do far less damage than single target attacks. If you upgrade your Holy Fire every 3 character levels or so, you should be able to keep it so that 3 casts will kill a whole bunch of critters.