Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Default DoP beta patch 1.017

Beta Patch 1.017 of Depths of Peril is available over on the Depths of Peril patch page. Changes can be read here. This patch just fixes a selection issue introduced in the last beta patch.
Patreon
Old 05-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Beta Patch 1.017 of Depths of Peril is available over on the Depths of Peril patch page. Changes can be read here. This patch just fixes a selection issue introduced in the last beta patch.
Shadow, I have a request for dop. Will it be at all possible to make the bosses, champions, elites, etc. somewhat scale with reasonability. The highest character ive had was 22 as it was at that level that i could no longer beat or contend with any of the uniques. Im not asking for a big fix, just something that can make it so the mini bosses dont 1-2 hit ko my brute warriors, or hardi priests. Dins doesnt even have it as bad as depths does in this aspect. In dins, with the new changes, there will be a few monsters that will behave like this. In depths, it is almost every unique and regular monster past lvl 20.

I cant be the only one who thinks this way, looking at the show my character pages, depths of peril has almost no one that made it to 100, or past 50-whereas dins there are much much more.

Im not asking for a big change, like i said. I just want to make it past a reasonable scale. The npcs and recruits damage and stats are not even really problematic considering that would be something not groundbreaking and more inclined to be fixed with dop2. It'd be much appreciated if you get some free time.

Last edited by DeathKnight1728 : 05-11-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
Shadow, I have a request for dop. Will it be at all possible to make the bosses, champions, elites, etc. somewhat scale with reasonability. The highest character ive had was 22 as it was at that level that i could no longer beat or contend with any of the uniques. Im not asking for a big fix, just something that can make it so the mini bosses dont 1-2 hit ko my brute warriors, or hardi priests. Dins doesnt even have it as bad as depths does in this aspect. In dins, with the new changes, there will be a few monsters that will behave like this. In depths, it is almost every unique and regular monster.

I cant be the only one who thinks this way, looking at the show my character pages, depths of peril has almost no one that made it to 100, or past 50-whereas dins there are much much more.
I wonder if that partly has to do with the armor formula change in DC? The other factor is probably the fact that it's impossible to spam skills in DoP.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
I wonder if that partly has to do with the armor formula change in DC? The other factor is probably the fact that it's impossible to spam skills in DoP.
Its not just the armor formula. Try and see if you can get your defense rating where you get hit less than 40% for a priest or warrior class. Ive been unable to make it past 45% chance of being hit. Thats all the time. That means 1 out of 2 times you get hit. Thats really friggin bad.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:48 AM
Champion

Steam takes its time to update the game...
Old 05-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Legend

Quote:
Its not just the armor formula. Try and see if you can get your defense rating where you get hit less than 40% for a priest or warrior class. Ive been unable to make it past 45% chance of being hit. Thats all the time. That means 1 out of 2 times you get hit. Thats really friggin bad.
Hmm... I checked the data files for DoP, and it's unclear to me why this happens. DoP gives a smaller boost to monsters' attack than DC does, and the rest of the formulas and values are pretty similar to DC. Maybe the defense skills are more expensive? Would you be able to post a save file of such a character so I could investigate it?

Another element that makes DoP harder though is the fact that you're in open spaces (almost) all of the time. It means that you're surrounded by monsters constantly attacking you -- there aren't any empty corridors or walls to hug.

EDIT: the main difference I found in the DoP vs DC comparison is that Shadow lowered monster vitality in DC. That in itself would make a big difference. Still can't find the reason for the difference in defense rating. Maybe it wasn't calculated right in DoP?

Last edited by Bluddy : 05-17-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
Hmm... I checked the data files for DoP, and it's unclear to me why this happens. DoP gives a smaller boost to monsters' attack than DC does, and the rest of the formulas and values are pretty similar to DC. Maybe the defense skills are more expensive? Would you be able to post a save file of such a character so I could investigate it?

Another element that makes DoP harder though is the fact that you're in open spaces (almost) all of the time. It means that you're surrounded by monsters constantly attacking you -- there aren't any empty corridors or walls to hug.

EDIT: the main difference I found in the DoP vs DC comparison is that Shadow lowered monster vitality in DC. That in itself would make a big difference. Still can't find the reason for the difference in defense rating. Maybe it wasn't calculated right in DoP?
Bluddy. I came to that conclusion when i got a priest to lvl 4 and on. I put 2 points into dex, 1 to strength, 1 to vitality and 1 spirit. I had a shield that wasnt too great but getting hit more than 60% of the time is really pushing it. Even the warrior gets better defenses than the priest-deflection, block, parry passive skills. If you keep going at that rate the max i would see your priest getting for defense is 55% percent which is awful. Im not sure what else there can be done to help fix this. As i said before im not really technical. Ill post the character up here when i can, but it can just as easily be reached in 5 minutes by fast lvling to lvl 5 through speed.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Legend

Quote:
Bluddy. I came to that conclusion when i got a priest to lvl 4 and on. I put 2 points into dex, 1 to strength, 1 to vitality and 1 spirit. I had a shield that wasnt too great but getting hit more than 60% of the time is really pushing it. Even the warrior gets better defenses than the priest-deflection, block, parry passive skills. If you keep going at that rate the max i would see your priest getting for defense is 55% percent which is awful. Im not sure what else there can be done to help fix this. As i said before im not really technical. Ill post the character up here when i can, but it can just as easily be reached in 5 minutes by fast lvling to lvl 5 through speed.
Interesting that the priest and warrior both get the least defense per DEX -- less than the mage even! You're right that the priest has no additive defensive skills. The only thing he has is Shield Mastery, which isn't bad, but the warrior has it too.

This shouldn't be that hard to fix though. The priest probably needs more of a boost from DEX, since he has few ways to boost his Defense, and he's still a melee fighter unlike the mage.

It might be more worthwhile to work on the other side of the equation first, though, and reduce monster damage.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Legend

The way i see the whole equation is this-

-Rogue is the king of not getting hit and hitting the target. However, the rogue lacks aoe but more than makes up for it with guile and deception (stealth). With 3 points in dex per level, decent equipment, you can attain a 30% of getting hit with 28% being the highest ive seen. This is in contrast to the rogue type character classes in dins getting to 14%!!

-Warrior is the king of aoe and soaking damage in both games. However in dop, the warrior has a bit more ability to excel at twohanded weapons. Why? Because the warrior in dins lacks the deflection passive skill that you get in dop. In dop, the warrior has 3 passives that help with not getting hit (if you dont have a shield). If you have a shield, the warrior gets 4.

-The mage might not be able to fight in melee, but is the least skill dependent on gaining defense in dop. They gain a passive that is similar to the rogues evasion but on top of that, they already gain more base defense than other classes per point in dex.

-And here we have the priest. With only 1 passive being shield mastery and terrible defense gained from dex, it is pretty much pointless using a twohanded mace as they are not only slow, you gain no strength and you will get hit almost all the time.

I dont know where to go from there but from the gitgo, priests need a bit of work. Maybe as bluddy mentioned, giving priests a bit more defense gained from dex. I seem to remember the shaman tree from dins getting a .5 bonus to dex so maybe that could help the priest if it is feasible. I really dont know.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:20 AM
Legend

Good analysis. The other way to help the priest is to make his Shield Mastery much stronger, giving 8% or 10% per level, to make up for the fact that he has no other passive defense boost. I'd suggest adding another passive defense, but it's possible the trees in DoP are limited to 10 max skills, in which case there's no place to add anything.

Yet another appealing option is to buff Holy Shield (it really needs buffing, just as it does in DC) and give it a boost to Defense as well. This way the priest has a choice about which strategy he wants to pursue.

Quote:
-Rogue is the king of not getting hit and hitting the target. However, the rogue lacks aoe but more than makes up for it with guile and deception (stealth).
Actually the rogue has AOE in the form of Charged Strike, but without the inflation commands added to DC, I'm not sure there's a way to make it effective.

Regardless, I think all of these won't solve the problem you're having. We also need to figure out the other things needed to make the game balance better in higher levels.

Also, without DC's armor and resistance formulas, bosses will remain insanely strong. And without DC's inflation commands, mages will have a hard time making progress beyond level 20 or so, and priests simply won't be able to use their spells effectively. Maybe if Shadow gets bored or has designer's block one of these days, he can patch these things in

Last edited by Bluddy : 05-18-2011 at 05:24 AM.