Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril modding
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Amateur

Default new to moding need help... please

Hi need some help with learning to mod. Ive read the forums and messed around but still cant get it right. If I could see a step by step proces and get it to work with one thing I could learn from there. I need to know what files need to be changed like the assets file do i change them all or just the unzipped assets001 file or do i create a new one like in the example Shadow gave in this post example:
For example, if I wanted more skill points per level I would put a file called moreskills.gdb inside of \Depths Of Peril\Assets\Database
moreskills overrides GameSystem
{
BaseSkillPointsPerLevel 5
LevelsBetweenSkillPointRaises 1
SkillPointRaise 5
}
where do i put this please help i tried making this work and didnt get it right thanks in advance
Old 06-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Unless I'm overlooking something making that moreskills.gdb file and putting it inside of the \Depths Of Peril\Assets\Database directory should work.
Patreon
Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Amateur

Thanks for replying so quickly. This is what i did I went DepthsofPeril/Assets/ in the assets file I created new a folder called Database in this file i created a moreskills.gdb folder and placed this inside it

moreskills.gdb
{
SkillPointRaise 100
}

just how its written here. i did a large number so it would be easy to see. I started a new character leveled up and nothing happened same five points as always can you please direct me in what im doing wrong thanks
Old 06-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Well you need to at least change that moreskills.gdb to
Patreon
Old 06-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Amateur

Thanks again for the quick response, it didnt work. I even uninstalled the game erased all fills and tried it. Let me explain what i did: reinstalled Depths of Peril clean copy nothing added nothing changed then went into Depths of Peril dir opened Assets file inside Assets file is three files, all zipped Asset001.zip Asset002.zip and Asset003.zip. I then took the File i made called Database with the file named moreskills.gdb inside this file i placed only this

{
SkillPointRaise 100
}

it didnt work please tell me what i did wrong. sorry im being such a pain. Am I spelling something wrong or not putting it in the proper place thanks again!
Old 06-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Champion

I'm not sure I understand what you did there but here's how it's supposed to be done:

- in the DoP folder create a folder called Database, placed in the folder Assets. So like this : "..\Depths of Peril\Assets\Database"
- in that Database folder place a file called mod_skillpoints.gdb (the name doesn't matter much, but the GDB extension does. I used this name because it clearly states what's inside the file)
- place this text in that file:

ModFixedSkillPoints overrides GameSystem

{
BaseSkillPointsPerLevel 2
LevelsBetweenSkillPointRaises 4
SkillPointRaise 1
}

Make sure you copy this exactly, it works here so it should work on your end. If it doesn't at least we'll know where not to look.

(this is my version of the mod, change the parameters as needed. Please note that the spaces between the parameter names and the values are TABs, not actual spaces. I'm not sure if that matters though)
- save the file, run the game

This has to work.

Just a hunch: If you use notepad to create and save the file, the extension may be messed up: notepad adds ".txt" to text files. You can easily miss this if Windows isn't set to display extensions for unknown files.

Just in case I've attached my file for you to try:
mod_fixedskillpoints.zip

Last edited by Maledictus : 06-10-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Amateur

thanks will try tonight and let you know thanks for the putting up with me