Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Default Dungeon crawl coding started

Well the initial design pass is done. This doesn't really mean what it does in a normal studio. This basically means the direction for the prototype is done. I try to design a reasonable amount up front and then explore what works and what doesn't. I take out or fix what doesn't work and expand on what does. So the final project may or may not look like the initial design. For those that want to have their ideas heard still, don't worry there is still plenty of time.

I have now split the code base and all of the initial assets are setup. Right now it basically is Kivi. The final game will resemble DoP more than Kivi, but the Kivi assets match the codebase more at the moment so it's a better starting point. I have already cleaned up some of code. The nice part about splitting the code base is I can't screw up things like save games and directory locations. Well I can, but it won't effect anyone else but me.

I'm hoping that I can really quickly have the game running with the structure I have in mind: random world, some starting random quests, dynamic quests after this, and when all of the quests are solved you have "won" that world/town. It will be interesting to have the basic game running so quickly. It's going to feel like spending all of my time on polish which will be nice. Fundamentally it won't all be polish since something like a new monster isn't polish.
Patreon
Old 06-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Elite

This is awesome news! I can't wait.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Elite

Remember how long Depths of Peril took? Years? This is awesome.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Expert

Just want to say (again) that this sounds great, and I'm really looking forward to the results. Following the discussions has been a blast. All this talk of random dungeon levels and monster interaction has got me re-playing some roguelikes (at work. Don't tell anybody.). Good luck with the development!