Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Demon War BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Legend

Default Suggestion: smashing stuff affects stealth

Stealth as a rogue is one mode that can definitely benefit from having the noise level applied to it. If you open/smash a chest near a monster or do something noisy, it should have a chance of making the enemy spot you. The louder, the more it should make you noticeable. It's weird to smash barrels next to enemies and have them not notice anything.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Champion

I think stealth in general could use some tweaking. It works both ways for the oddities.

I can be stealthed, use shuriken from a distance to open a locked door. Now, without ever even being in a situation where I could be spotted, the creautres come out of the room and seem to spot with eagle-eye precision. You can even be around the corner and as soon as possible they will spot you. Then there are the skeletons and zombies that pop up out of the ground that can spot you ever time while stealthed. Just doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Powers View Post
I think stealth in general could use some tweaking. It works both ways for the oddities.

I can be stealthed, use shuriken from a distance to open a locked door. Now, without ever even being in a situation where I could be spotted, the creautres come out of the room and seem to spot with eagle-eye precision. You can even be around the corner and as soon as possible they will spot you. Then there are the skeletons and zombies that pop up out of the ground that can spot you ever time while stealthed. Just doesn't make any sense to me.
Watch your "buffs" -- attacking a door in ANY way adds a modifier to your character lowering your surprise. So I attack by tossing immolation trap up over the walls and they STILL can find me, and I'm a U-turn around a wall away. This only seems to apply to doors. So I can set fire to barrels without this problem -- but if creatures get hurt by the fire/explosion caused by MY immolation trap, they know I'm around. But the other effect/bonus is if they die from it, I get the XP, so I'm not complaining there. There's uneven "tagging the cause of monster death" going on. I wouldn't mind getting XP for causing deaths with slight of hand -- not at all -- but I also think that's a potential down side to using it. Either I put in the final blow, or the XP is a corpse on the ground fading away. Oh and my "magic/item find" chances don't modify the kills of the other monsters too -- so less loot.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisses View Post
This only seems to apply to doors.
By the way -- this is mentioned in the "Bashing Doors" help notice that we all probably dismissed a long time ago
Old 02-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisses View Post
Watch your "buffs" -- attacking a door in ANY way adds a modifier to your character lowering your surprise. So I attack by tossing immolation trap up over the walls and they STILL can find me, and I'm a U-turn around a wall away. This only seems to apply to doors. So I can set fire to barrels without this problem -- but if creatures get hurt by the fire/explosion caused by MY immolation trap, they know I'm around. But the other effect/bonus is if they die from it, I get the XP, so I'm not complaining there. There's uneven "tagging the cause of monster death" going on. I wouldn't mind getting XP for causing deaths with slight of hand -- not at all -- but I also think that's a potential down side to using it. Either I put in the final blow, or the XP is a corpse on the ground fading away. Oh and my "magic/item find" chances don't modify the kills of the other monsters too -- so less loot.
Oppss! I forgot about this thread. I actually responded to this in the other thread. Regardless of the surprise penalty, I still think something is buggy.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Powers View Post
Oppss! I forgot about this thread. I actually responded to this in the other thread. Regardless of the surprise penalty, I still think something is buggy.
I'd suggest coming to the din's curse bug thread -- that's where I was noting the stealth/slight of hand problems. It doesn't really have anything to do with demon war per se -- it's the base game that has this problem.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Legend

Just want to mention that I'm experiencing a rogue character for the first time, and now that I'm i the 10s, stealth is awesome. No longer can I run about the dungeon as I please. I actually have to avoid the monsters as much as possible, and creating noise does seem to increase my chances of being noticed. Stealth is actually incredibly well implemented in the game (at least in these levels. Hope it doesn't change too much as I level up). I have to run from one corridor to another, and since I'm not powerful enough to take on a bunch of monsters, there's real tension. I peek around corners and try using sleight of hand -- if I expose myself for too long their chances of spotting me seem to go up. The whole experience is excellent and reminiscent of the Thief games. This was a huge positive surprise for me.

It's interesting that thief works in DC SO much better than in DoP. DoP's completely open maps meant that you couldn't ambush small groups of monsters, or wait in an empty corridor peeking around the corner.