Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Legend

Default Idiots Guide to Stat Building in Drox

Ok, im here and now im completely lost with regards to building the char i want to build. I kinda know the stats but am completely clueless as to which ones to specialize in.

For me, i just want to play a graceful attacker that might use stealth to get by along with stun, basically a rogue (but in space).

Problem is that there are no skills so im guessing that items are the skills of this game. Would anyone know a good couple of stats to focus on that go with building each type of character. As it stands, im not sure which is more important.

This might be a good place for those that know alot about space games (not me) and also for people that want to get to understand the games stats more.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Elite

Wink

Well since rogues are typically high DPS, a Shadow ship that specialized in Computers (attack) and Tactical (damage) might be a good start.

If I see any good items that fit this build I will let you know, but I would focus on items that raise computers and tactical. I'm not sure which weapon to tell you to use, although lasers seem rogue-like to me for some reason. The problem right now with a rogue build is that the space ships move around in a much less graceful fashion than the characters in Din's did. It is harder to dodge and do fancy sneaky things when it takes so much time to turn your bus around.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

There are Cloaking Devices in the game which is equivalent of a rogue's stealth. Their requirements are based on Helm.
Patreon

Last edited by Shadow : 06-14-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
There are Cloaking Devices in the game which is equivalent of a rogue's stealth. Their requirement's are based on Helm.
That explains why the Shadow have a Helm bonus, which I had been unable to figure out previously.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Elite

I save my stats to use as I need to upgrade equipment. Sometimes I'm carrying around stuff I can't use because or power load. It's been a balance between the two. It's nice to have a few stats in my pocket to upgrade equipment when I find it, have the power load for it, and am only a few points away. :-)

P.S. Bigger ships will go slower! I use medium thrusters because they seem as high as the heavies I find, but medium power load equipment is usually much lower than the heavies.

P.S.S. I use two power loads and two thrusters.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delilah Rehm View Post
I save my stats to use as I need to upgrade equipment.
That's what I'm doing, too. Something should be done to discourage this behaviour, since I don't think it's how things are supposed to work in Drox.
I suggest passive, stat-based abilities unique to each playable race which provide more immediate rewards for spending crew points, similar to the stat multipliers in Din's Curse where,
for example, a warrior would gain more max health per point of vitality than the other classes.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgor View Post
That's what I'm doing, too. Something should be done to discourage this behaviour, since I don't think it's how things are supposed to work in Drox.
I suggest passive, stat-based abilities unique to each playable race which provide more immediate rewards for spending crew points, similar to the stat multipliers in Din's Curse where,
for example, a warrior would gain more max health per point of vitality than the other classes.
I think part of the problem is that combat is too obtuse. It's not clear what's happening in combat, so you don't know if you need to increase your attack or defense or strength, and therefore the stats have little meaning to you. I'm going to derail this topic a bit to talk about combat:

For me so far, combat has just been a blur, where ships show up, circle around me, and I attack with whatever skills I have until they're destroyed. If there are too many of them, I'm destroyed while trying to run away.

It feels like the combat is too much to process because:
1. Everybody has long range weapons, so you're fighting all the ships on-screen at once -- you can't choose your engagements as you can in DC. Moving to much shorter range weapons would help with this.
2. Space is open, much like the areas in DoP and unlike DC. This means that monsters always crowd around you. However, in DoP, short range weapons meant that only the nearest monsters could usually hurt you. I think this could benefit from point 1, but perhaps you want to decrease the aggression radius for monsters so they don't all bunch up around you.
3. You have many defensive stats. This is both hard to keep track of in real-time, and it means that most enemies can't kill you unless they really overwhelm you. Thus, mistakes and wrong tactics don't really matter as much -- it's just a matter of knowing which encounters you can survive and which ones you can't. Not sure what to do about this one yet, since it's part of playing a spaceship.
4. It's hard to tell what ship is what, unlike monsters in DC and DoP.
5. Monsters move in circles around you, making it confusing -- I can barely keep track of who's where. Just hitting '1' and '2' is the easiest solution -- it hits whatever's out there.

In general, I feel like an realtime space combat against many monsters may be too much to process for a mere human. My ideas are to
a. Reduce the range of most weapons to make it clear who you're fighting, what position you have to get into to fight them etc.
b. Reduce the number of monsters you're fighting at a time reducing weapon range, by reducing the number of monsters in general, and by reducing the monsters' aggression range.
c. Make individual monsters attack for more so they can be a real threat without needing many of their pals to overwhelm you.
d. Reduce the speed of combat in general so you have time to plan things out and analyze your ship vs their ship. Perhaps only slow things down once combat begins, so that moving around is faster. You'd have 'warp speed' to move around in space normally, and 'tactical speed' for moving around in battles.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Champion

Bluddy, I like where your minds at with those combat changes.

Do you think the addition of weapon arcs would increase the tactical feel? This means weapon arcs on both the PC and NPCs. The net affect would be less shooting and more maneuvering.

Also, +1 to you idea of reducing the number of monster ships in favor of stronger ones.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Elite

I second Bluddy's proposals. Not sure how hard they would be to implement, but there is some good stuff there.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Elite

While I don't think there should be less, harder hitting monster ships, I'm quite fond of the idea of weapon arcs. They shouldn't be too restrictive, though,
or else everyone might end up flying endless circles around each other trying to get a shot at their opponent.