Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Expert

Default Players: How static are your equipment builds?

A) Do you find yourself setting up a balanced equipment build that can just sort of "do it all" (jack of all trades, master of none) with little to no fuss on your part when it comes time to change tasks (from exploring or traveling, versus all out fighting). This assumes that you more or less keep the same equipment installed, regardless of the situation you find yourself in (save for dire emergencies), except when it comes time to upgrade. Maybe brute efficiency isn't what's most important to you in any one given situation, so much as being more or less ready for almost anything with the smallest amount of downtime possible.

Or

B) Do you keep cargo bays full of alternate equipment on your ship, swapping out parts and pieces as needed for any particular situation; being more specialized for any one task, at any given moment, but slowing down your time to react if a surprise situation were to pop up? An example would be keeping a couple extra thrusters or scanners equipped while on the move, only to pause the game and swap them out for weapons when you find yourself in a large battle. Maybe constantly being on the go isn't as important to you, or you don't pay much heed to pacing, because maybe you're a bit of a min-maxer and like to reap the extra reward for the extra effort.

Last edited by kerzain : 06-17-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:07 AM
Elite

I keep some spare equipment just to mess with power loads, but actually changing my setup on the fly would be too much work for me.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Expert

I keep quite a bit of spare equipment in my cargo... But it's not because I like to swap them out on the fly. Usually I'm saving them to try and fit them in the future or to experiment with different builds next time I go back to a friendly planet.

Eg. I usually seem to have an extra reactor or solar panels and thrusters/engines to change different thrust/power load builds.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Champion

One of the most useful things to carry multiples of is armor plates. When they start to break you can swap in new fresh ones pretty easily. If you are playing a structure oriented race, like the Lithasoid, this works even better as you will have access to some strong armor plates.

Last edited by aReclusiveMind : 06-18-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: spelling.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aReclusiveMind View Post
One of the most useful things to carry multiples of is armor plates. When they start to break you can swap in new fresh ones pretty easily. If you are playing a structure oriented race, like the Lithasoid, this works even better as you will have access to some strong armor plates.
How useful is it though? It generally seems pretty cheap to fix them.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by aReclusiveMind View Post

Nanite repair consumables are pretty cheap. May as well just stick with one plate and repair it using the nanites. Minor damage can be repaired by the repair module.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
How useful is it though? It generally seems pretty cheap to fix them.
Well, primarily its for long excursions in enemy territory. Ever hated waiting for your shields to recharge? Just pop on a new armor piece and worry about repairing it when you get back to a friendly planet.

Also, the game allows you to swap out armor while in battle, which is admittedly cheap and likely an exploit as it stands now. The way I've done it is to have a 130 armor-ish heavy armor piece, and then a couple of 30 or 40ish medium size pieces. When my armor dropped to around 40 or 50 total remaining, I would swap out the big armor piece for a fresh 130 armor piece. Essentially, this makes it much more useful than shields. I don't like to exploit the game (for instance, taking tons of money from my allies), but in some cases due to certain issues I have with the game, I use them to my advantage.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Elite

I don't even use armor. I do have two heavy power loads and two medium thrusters though. Somehow going faster seems more important than armor, but maybe that's just how I play?
Old 06-19-2012, 05:35 AM
Champion

I have a static build for my ship: no armor, high shields, some shield boost and laster + emp
Old 06-19-2012, 05:42 AM
Champion

In .900, no armor, only one shield, and max speed. Weapon was nuke bomb. Level 22.

Now in .901, nuke bomb is to expensive on energy. I've a new toon only level 7, with Computer high, to test. No shield this time, but armor. And ballistic weapon. I'm not strong at all, i almost avoid mobs, and go for "no fight" missions.