Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2015, 01:38 AM
Amateur

Default Why is releasing T/O/L a bad thing?

As the title says. I read a couple of threads where it was indicated that players didn't want to let T/O/L out into their galaxy, and I was wondering why they considered such races to be a problem. I see them as an opportunity rather than something to avoid, but I've not gotten past the middle levels yet, so am I missing something?
Old 09-17-2015, 08:36 PM
Amateur

I don't have TOL unleashed in my game, but I have several Ancients unleashed, and based on that (and my play style), I think agree with you...

I'm not a pro at this game, by any means... My main Ship is up to level 74 now. I had ditched galaxies before when Ancients (who are more dangerous than TOL, afaik) got loose.

Well, now I have a galaxy I have been working a lot on Race relations between the core factions, and I've had Hezog, and one other Ancient unleashed despite trying not to let them... turns out I like having them as starting enemies, because it gives me a common enemy to pit all of my 'friends' against.

Mind you, I only play Tiny sectors now (w/ random # of races, random development, clusters, minimal Drox involvement), 'cause I got sick of the tedious exploration at the start of each sector. That means I don't have to deal with a massive Hezog empire, for example. It also means I sometimes have to be careful not to get a Legend win before I want it, because the threshold is low in a Tiny sector, and killing Ancients gives a lot of it.

So far though, keeping 3 or more core races healthy and not fighting with each other means they can mostly handle an Ancient race without too much intervention.

Sorry if my story about Ancients is not relevant to your question about TOL... I think it should be similar enough.

(I keep spelling Hezog as Herzog... as in Werner.)
Old 10-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Amateur

From what i gather, the reason people dislike T/O/L is because their stats scale very quickly in the higher levels, which can cause problems such as races not being able to expand due to constant attacks. A patch a year or so ago fixed this to a extent, talon ships and planets will now be attacked by legion/overlord, legion ships and planets will now be attacked by talon/overlord and overlord planets will now be attacked by talon/legion were the changes. Also races wont attack T/O/L ships and planets unless they're at war, unless those are normally spawning space monsters, which are automatically hostile. If T/O/L takes over a planet in a system controlled by their race, than the earlier patch isnt nearly as useful.