Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Zombasite > Zombasite modding
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2017, 08:36 AM
Amateur

Default Advice needed - monster level spikes

Hello comrades,
I read some reviews so far about this game. Most positive and some negative. The negative points that keep getting mentioned are that you often meet monsters 5 levels higher than you and with game breaking enhancements.
This has happened to me and indeed it is very annoying.
I had to leave the game so that my recruits don't die.
Anyway does anyone know what can be edited to remove this level gap? I should be able to manage a monster my level with some enhancements. But 5 levels higher... not a chance.
Thank you in advance.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

You can try changing MaxLevelChange and/or LevelCapFromCovenantLevel in some entries in quests.gdb.

A lot of the time it is just a higher level clan attacking or a monster that just looks like it is a higher level, but not (UI shows effective level not true level).
Patreon
Old 02-02-2017, 09:42 PM
Elite

I'd also like to offer some general, relevant advice as well (since Shadow gave the exact response).

I recommend playing in a world -2 to -4 levels below your level.

The higher ranked monsters have a higher effective level, and so they net you more experience. This makes it possible to gain reasonable experience without suffering from the experience penalty too badly, while not having to worry about most common monsters too much.

Also, it makes it easier to explore the first few zones around your base fairly easily+safely which can be very nice. Personally, I do this whenever necessary with no regard to the fact that the level is labeled as 'easy'. My goal is generally only to win... so I just go for it!

Just my 2c.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:23 AM
Amateur

Thank you for the replies. You are awesome.
Once again, the problem was my understanding of the game and not the game itself That effective level is a bit confusing for a beginner. So they were the same level as the other monsters, just much more badass.
I will try to find a way to avoid these guys until i get stronger.
But first I will deffinitely try Destro's suggestion. My gear is terrible.

Last edited by Jackietreehorn : 02-03-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackietreehorn View Post
That effective level is a bit confusing for a beginner.
Yeah, I'm not totally happy about that, but it catches beginners either way. When we just showed the level, people wondered why they were getting stomped by high rarity monsters or NPCs. Now that we factor in the rarity and that NPCs are generally tougher than monsters, people wonder why there are high level monsters running around lower level zones.
Patreon
Old 02-04-2017, 10:16 AM
Amateur

This seems indeed the best option. Unfortunately, because there is no warning about these tough meanies, most people, myself included, think them as an anomaly. They are just the correspondents of the minibosses in the mainstream Arpgs.
There is much to be learned about this game. It is interesting though that after my first hours of playing I started modding it more and more. After I got some experience and undestanding I started deleting the mods alltogether.
This is a great game. I only hope someone who has the time and knowledge writes a full guide or maybe a FAQ with regards to the most frustrating issues one can meet.
Thank you and have a great weekend
Old 02-04-2017, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

There is good guide on the Steam forums at https://steamcommunity.com/app/40896...5103624404798/
Patreon